May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (LGF, Jem Finch, playing hooky, Sandlapper, 1 invisible), 492 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,592
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#85020 02/26/08 05:42 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Doing some camera work and thought I would share. A Charles Daly made in Germany Circa 1932 (unknown maker), caliber 7x57mm, marked “Prussia” long after there was no Prussia, capitalizing on the name that sold so many shotguns. They only sold these for a short time and I don’t believe they made much over a dozen of them. They were offered in caliber 7x57, 250-3000 (K-Action) and in 30-06. Has what I think is an unusual engraving on the floorplate and trigger guard of dogs and ducks, more at home on a shotgun. As someone who can look out the window now and then and see what Moose really looks like that is a strange Moose on the receiver ;-).

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

A moose from the flying turnip school of engraving?

If I looked like that I would be peeking sheapishly out from behind the weeds too
(come to think of it, I probably look worse so I better hide in the ditch by the side of the road like some of my ancestors)

Nice looking gun

Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael,
once again a drool over rifle,your collection of rifles is just amazing.I too can see moose out the window from time to time,now mostly snow and lots of it !
I have a late,9/24, marked Daly 16 that is stamped Prussia on the water table>Could it be use of older actions parts a non FIFO if you will?
Best,
Dave K

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dave, I'm not sure when the last Daly was stamped "Prussia", a good question and hope that Ken can answer that for us.

Here is a much better Moose thanks to Mr. Kornbrath.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh, well, at least you can tell it's a moose... Nice rifle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael,
Beautiful rifle, thanks for sharing. If you ever see a decent priced rifle like the ones you collect that you are going to pass on, let me know. I collect primarily shotguns but would like to have one nice bolt action that has finesse like the one shown.
Ross

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful rifle MP.

I have had the same question on the "PRUSSIA" designation - i.e., why were some makers still marking their guns with "PRUSSIA", instead of "GERMANY", to satisfy the country of origin requirement in the 1920s and 1930s?

German history gets a little murky on when PRUSSIA ceased to be a real entity (see - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prussia). My best guess is that the "PRUSSIA" designation 1) technically satisfied the required country of origin requirment on imported mechandise, and 2) had more cache (and a lot less baggage post-WWI) than the Germany label.

The last Prussian Daly that I have recorded with the "PRUSSIA" stamp is 1932. I have recorded Prussian made Dalys as late as 1935 in the database, but the information provided didn't record whehter there was a "PRUSSIA" stamp on the action flats.

Ken

Last edited by Ken Georgi; 02/27/08 10:35 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sending that to us.

[IMG]
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: reb87
Michael,
Beautiful rifle, thanks for sharing. If you ever see a decent priced rifle like the ones you collect that you are going to pass on, let me know. I collect primarily shotguns but would like to have one nice bolt action that has finesse like the one shown.
Ross

Ross, There are few nice custom rifles at anything like a decent price these days. I bought the majority of my rifles enough years ago that nowadays the prices are frightening ;-), my first Niedner-Shelhamer 1903 was $250. My modest double gun collection has shrunk in the past few years because of the runaway prices of American Custom rifles. Now having said all that there are many good deals on rifles that do not have the maker's name on them. If you have an interest you need to learn all you can about them and jump when they come along. If you run across something I'll be happy to have a look at it for you, just email or call me.

In about twenty years of looking I think I have seen three Daly-Mausers.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.