Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

DT,
If possible, Just Say No to 30 lpi checkering
IMO, 22 lpi and even 20 lpi look pretty darn good. It's what's on most of the B-guns. And it's about what my skills are up to so....pfft. Consider having the FE duplicated from your blank while you're getting schooled by the remaining piece of wood.

"The key to good stockwork is You Have To Be Smarter Than the Chunk of Walnut"

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That is beautiful Doug! As I stated in the beginning of tis thread, I have restocked guns before, but mostly from semi-inletted blanks, so I do have good tools and some aquired knowledge of how it works. I have stocked about a dozen guns in the last year or so, mostly for family and friends.

Hey while I have your ear, what is the proper method for sharpening a veiner tool?

Last edited by dubbletrubble; 02/27/08 03:53 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Now there's a stockmaker! Nice job Doug. I missed the year you joined the Guild so didn't see this one in-the-flesh, but I'm working on a story concerning Lindner guns and you surely captured the essence!

Dt, I really think Yeti would be a better guy to tell you how to get started, he's got the can-do attitude and I seem to get mired down in the details, making it almost impossible for me to tell anyone How-to. He's done some nice work and has the appropriate outlook (we met in MD at the Vintage Cup).

For many years I taught a one-night a week gunmaking class in my shop in Oregon. A few dedicated students built a few really fine guns and rifles, but again, it gets bogged down in the organizational phase. Taught a couple of the NRA summer gunsmithing classes and that would be a great place to get started!

I quit writing how-to-do-its years ago when my manuscripts hit 6000 words and 18 photos (see RIFLE MAG., Pint-Sized Sporter, Nov/Dec 1988, a stock remodel how-to) and I was still in fear of having left something out.

In truth, you have a great beginning project, and even enough of the original stock to get an idea of what the inletting should look like.

I am thinking about starting a book publishing company, maybe you could help me out? I do have a nearly completed manuscript.

Subgauge Mark, I'll take that tongue in cheek from someone not likely to ever commission a custom stock job. I try to stay real busy with the projecs I have now, just to keep from falling further behind, havent accepted any new gunwork for the past 18 months.
DT,obviously our posts crossed, sounds like you have plenty of experience, just grab a block of walnut, saw it to near the approproiate contour and start inletting. Action first, trigger plate second, guts last.

Last edited by SDH-MT; 02/27/08 04:14 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Steve. I can only hope that some day I can complete a job that comes close to what you and Doug can do. Until then it is chop, file, chisel, and pray.

As far as your publishing project, the costs of doing so here in the US are staggering, unless you have a local newspaper with high grade press capabilities that would take on your projects in an available press window. That of course would be if you need web printing. For most offset production on small runs a good local print house would best suit your needs. Most large scale four color offset productions are being done offshore because of costs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dubbletrubble, consider reading one of SDH's books if you have not already. You will not recieve specific guidance on restocking this gun, but will enjoy exploring the mindset of a master craftsman and pick up many pearls of gun wisdom along the way. Best of luck on your project.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ahhh

Now whose insulting who.

Or whom whatever.

Mark
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SDH-MT

Subgauge Mark, I'll take that tongue in cheek from someone not likely to ever commission a custom stock job.

Ok guys...Mark is a pal here and I'm sure he just had my back. Let's stop this.

Sidelock
Sidelock

French guns always stir up alot of emotion, maybe its the French themselves. You better posts some pics DT after your done, it looks like it could turn out to be a real nice shooter.
All the best

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: dubbletrubble
Hey while I have your ear, what is the proper method for sharpening a veiner tool?

DT, if you're talking about the tiny filet left in the bottom of the "V" I don't have a good answer for you - sorry.

I'm not even going to be much help to you if you mean the outside of the viener because I sharpen my chizels on a machine that very people have - I use a faceting machine! In a former life I faceted high end gemstones, i.e. Tanzanite etc., and I still have the machine. It is infinitely variable for angle and I have diamond coated disks from 200 grit to 12,000 grit. I can really put an edge on something if I need to. I believe that a new machine like mine is about $3,500 now so its not one of those things that a guy just runs out and buys to sharpen chizels.

Doug Mann
Sidelock
Sidelock

Didn't mean any insult, few folks ever get a professional stock job.
I'm French from my mother's side.
Have self-published one book so far.
Never could get that inside V out of a veiner, mostly use replacable V blades for block carving tools that I strop with Simichrome on leather.
Thanks kilibru, I recommend that everyone buy at least one copy of each of the three SDH books.
See how much we all have in common.
Best,
Steve

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.