May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (earlyriser, Jimmy W, Gunning Bird, Ian Forrester, Borderbill, 1 invisible), 412 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#84872 02/25/08 06:17 PM
rabbit Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Meriden 12ga 30 damascus. Double underlug and wedge crossbolt in rib extension. Patent July 1907 on the rib; "HRF" (tube maker?) clearly visible both barrels fwd. of flats. Numbers match; bit of bright case left side under the fence. Extractor gun; figured stock; fairly tall dimension at 1 1/2-2 5/8. 14" frnt trigger to rear ribbed buttplate. Pretty solid old thing; forend a wee bit loose but no lateral play open and locks up like 1907. I think these bores are going to clean up just fine altho the gun is filthy. Ends of chambers looks very good; no corrosion ring. S/N 52xxx. "D30" adjacent serial on water table. Excellent even trigger pulls and nice rounded pins. Screws in sideplates are hauled down too much and out of time but slots there and elsewhere are pretty decent. Any info as to grade and market value heartily welcomed. I just had to bite on this old feller.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rabbit, there should be another number on the receiver flats. Maybe 52 or 53 ?

rabbit Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Daryl, "52" on right side water table; only serial on flats.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack, that is your grade. They went up to 58 in the catalog, but could be much higher on special order.

rabbit Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Daryl. I take it this is lower end of the grades--maybe one step up from field grade?

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack: could you please post an ultra close up of the 'HRF' (maybe chalked?), which should be H.R.F. of Heuse-Riga Fils http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/artisans%20identifies%20h/a%20heuse%20gb.htm
That mark has been found on an Ithaca Flues model.
And may I add the pic to the 'AJ Aubrey and Meriden Fire Arms' album? Thanks!

rabbit Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Doc Drew: I have several other fotos which I took quickly after rushing home this evening but I did not include the HRF stamp in the shot of the barrel flats. I prefer to photograph outdoors; tomorrow evening I'll try again and post if successful; perhaps a few others also. Thanks for the Littlegun link; I'll check it out You certainly may add any foto you wish to your Meriden album. In the meantime, I have a question. Is it the case that Meriden continued to import damascus tubes until the First World War and that the interruption of supply put paid to their operation?

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am a fan of Meriden Firearms and that looks like a pretty nice example.
That bird, however, must be hopping as it can't possibly be engaged in sustained flight. And all this time we thought the Parker Bros. G-grade owned the option on "flying turnips."

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack: so far we've identified Belgian maker's marks on Sears/A.J. Aubrey/Meriden Fire Arms Co. from Jean-Baptiste Delcour-Dupont/Canons Delcour, Henri Pieper, Heuse-Riga Fils, and Lucient Clement. The latest Sears catalog that I've seen is 1909, so I don't know how long Damascus barrels were offered. Pete M is collecting serial number information, but we have no way of connecting those numbers to the date of manufacture.
The manufacturing facility was sold to New England Westinghouse in 1916, possibly because Westinghouse had just received a contract to produce Mosen Nagant rifles and bayonets for Russia. Some guns were produced in another facility on Center Street in Meriden until 1918 when Sears announced that the Meriden Fire Arms Company would discontinue the manufacture of sporting guns.

rabbit Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I believe there are Parker "footballs" on Ithaca Flues guns also.
All Meridens I had previously seen were field grades and shot to a faretheewell. Given the condition and functionality (assuming Riga Sons barrels can be trusted up to 5000psi) I think I got a reasonable deal for 3C.

jack

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.