May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Stanton Hillis, buckstix, Birdog, skeettx, 1 invisible), 697 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,604
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I received a German SxS BLE 20 Ga yesterday that is identical to my Merkel 47E but on the rib it says:

SIMSON,SUHL (THURINGEN)

Would this gun be considered a Simson BLE or a Simson Suhl BLE?

What does the THURINGEN relate to?

Thanks for your help

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Simson Werke-Suhl was the original company taken over by the Nazis due to its Jewish ownership and re-named Gustloff Werke, prior to & during the war. I don't know about the connection to Merkel Bros. founded in 1898 also in Suhl, but assume there is a direct link, the German Gun Collectors site can probably answer that much better.

Suhl in a town in Germany and Thuringen is an area or state in Germany.

Your gun woluld be a Simpson BLE.

Not much iformation, but hope its helps you out some.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Suhl = city in German/Saxon state of Thuringen/Thuringia.
after wwll it was part of East Germany.

Hitler confiscated Simson company due to Jewish ownership.
Ohters will chime in with history of the company during/after that time.You can find details by doing search pf past posts on Simson guns.

check wikipedia for Thuringia history.

check the date codes for when it was made. decent guns regardless and even better if pre-wwll. As to what to call it, eeither is correct.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

LeeS,

The numbers stamped on the barrel flats are 169

I was told the Date of Mfg was January 1969

Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

The above data is essentially correct. Simson was actually forced by the Nazis to change their name two times after they were taken over. The first name change was to "BSW", I don't have my books in front of me just now, but as I remember that stood for Berlin Suhl Werke, no doubt I have improper spelling, but that was the jist of it. They operated as BSW for only 2 or 3 years or so, then changed again to Gustloff Werke, again, that's the jist of the name, it could have been slightly different in the proper spelling. According to the German Gun Collectors Association, Simson was the largest gun maker in Europe in the years prior to WWII. There was ample logic for the Nazis to take over the plants and continue their operation, rather than just close them down. Simson factories no doubt added greatly to the store of weapons used by the German armies. Their shotguns greatly resembled Sauer side by side designs and Merkel over and under designs. Some have suggested that Sauer and Merkel furnished the actions "in the white" to Simson, but that has become greatly debated. If Simson was the largest maker in pre war Europe, they certainly had the capability to produce their own actions, some suggesting they were licensed by Sauer and Merkel to reproduce their designs. I personally think that makes much more sense than buying actions from smaller competitors. At any rate, Simson guns, under any name, are considered very nice guns (depending on the actual grade) and are to be prized as shooters. I have several and think highly of them.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

ChiefShotguns,

The pictures I added above is the Simson I just received and it's identical to my Merkel 47E.The Champlin Arms website last year noted in one of their ads for a Simson they had for sale that in the late 60's J.J. was personally in the Merkel factory in Suhl and seen Simson and Merkel SxS being made in the same factory.That could explain why this gun looks like a Merkel.

Regards

Sidelock
Sidelock

After WWII and duing hard times, all were lumped under Buhag & you see Simson, Merkel and etc. guns.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a 16ga BSW double with a horn trigger guard that was made during the Nazi regieme in the 30s. I purchased the shotgun from the vet that brought it back at wars end. It is very similiar to the one pictured above.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Posted for Raimey

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks PeteM for the assistance.

Here is a lethal combo of a Simson/August Schuler Buhag(similar frame to 47) and a Shorthair. A fine day afield today.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 02/25/08 08:32 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.