May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Tim in PA, jake van dyke, bbman3, j7l2), 804 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,720
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 28 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 27 28
Sidelock
Sidelock

What if being a doctor didn't pay a decent living, so they all quit? What happens to your "right" then? I believe your only fundamental "right" is to take care of yourself as you see fit without interference from others. You don't have a "right" to anything I have to work and pay for! I'm very sorry if you can't afford what you need, but that's not my problem; it's yours. I need a $20,000 shotgun, but not at your expense. Highways and social security are not rights either. They are things that we as a society have AGREED to pay for collectively so we can all use/benefit from them. We, as a society already have too many things that we consider "rights" that are "needs", and sometimes just "wants" that someone else pays for. I would be more than happy to give up many of my so called "rights" in exchange for what they cost me and for the return of the control of my life.

LCSMITH
Sidelock
Sidelock

King, although the quality of the care certainly varied, we do need to remember that ALL Communist countries had both low unemployment and universal healthcare. K-12 education has always been free in the US. Also freer of propaganda than the education they get in Cuba.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Americans will choose whether society has responsibility to others on healthcare, Mr. Frech, or whether it's every man for himself. That's part of the current great national debate in America, the first and for about a century the only modern liberal democracy. On this one, it may be fair to say that a narrow parochialism is holding back the republic's growth and may be fostering intolerance. I put my money on the republic; it gets it right over time.

Last edited by King Brown; 02/20/08 01:10 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Brown, thanks again for your opinion of how we should run our country.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dev,
Just make sure and mark your ballot correctly.
Best,
Ron

OP Offline

Originally Posted By: B Frech
What if being a doctor didn't pay a decent living, so they all quit?

Haven't noticed any shortage of doctors in France or Italy or Spain or any of the other countries with universal health care. To the contrary, Canada, Italy, Germany and others have more doctors per capita than we do. Matter of fact, I have an MD friend who left the US to practice in Canada, saying it was less paperwork and hassle to get paid and he had more time to devote to patient care.

But I bet they don't have as many health insurance and drug company execs making 7-figure salaries as we do. Here's an eye-opener for anyone struggling to pay medical bills or health insurance premiums: http://www.harp.org/hmoexecs.htm

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry, on the propaganda, probably so, but propaganda also blinds us from learning from other nations. Canadians think they have the best health system in the world, as most Americans may think of theirs. A distinguished panel appointed by our prime minister has revealed how we're being misled on Afghanistan. Canada could learn from Scandinavians, among the world's most productive economies who are working hard to limit poverty.

Other countries do better than Canada with environment and development of natural resources.On any terms, however, what Cuba has done in social reform over 50 years is remarkable. I was there at the time of the revolution, from one end to the other, in the Sierra Maestra, later at the Bay of Pigs one week before the invasion, interviewed Castro a couple times. He did what he told me he was going to do. Remarkable for a politician.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I take exception to the comment that education is free from K-12. While there may not be tuition to government schools, they are far from free. Take a closer look at your tax bill next time.

The quote from the constitution is very accurate and true, but as I said, where do you draw the line? Some where some how someone has to have the balls to say NO MORE. When you mention the Euro countries and Cuba as examples, please be honest and accurate enough to tell us how much (as a percentage) they are paying in taxes as compared to us. Cuba, a strict Marxist, Communist state has all it can do to keep its people there..... Why are so many willing to risk their lives to get to the USA if is is so great there and sucks so bad there?

When I was on patrol on the Iron Curtain, I had more than one occasion to see qnd talk to people who risked electric fencing, dogs, armed guards, minefields and untold atrocities (If caught.... these atrocities would make waterboarding look like a weekend at Dismey) just to have a CHANCE to get to the USA. Ever wonder why that was, and still is, as witnessed by over 12 million ILLEGAL aliens not to mention countless LEGAL immigrants come here?

I guess they all want crappy health care and lower taxes........

Last edited by Steve Lawson; 02/20/08 05:02 PM.
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Steve Lawson
When you mention the Euro countries and Cuba as examples, please be honest and accurate enough to tell us how much (as a percentage) they are paying in taxes as compared to us.

Please be honest and stay focused on health care cost, rather than burying it in general taxes (which pay farm subsidies, pensions, roads, etc.). It really doesn't matter whether it's paid in taxes or premiums or cash, the cost is what we're discussing.

Americans pay more per capita for health care than anyone else in the world. Lots more. Almost twice as much as Europeans - and their health care systems are outperforming ours AND covering every citizen.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve,
The country of Norway has a 60% (aprox.)overall tax. This includes as of two years ago a 23% national sales tax. Their gas is a little over $6.00 a gallon. Yes their medical is free and so is the dental, but at what cost. I admire them because it works for them. The country of Norway is about the same size as Montana. It would be hard to compare them to the entire United States. Even the EU has not attempted to standardize its members. They had a battle just getting to a common currency. We may not be perfect but we are free to choose and to vote on a regular basis.
Takk,
Ron

Page 13 of 28 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 27 28

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.