May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Chantry, Researcher, Jtplumb, KDGJ, Karl Graebner, cable), 446 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This is a lefever that i own it's a HE grade, the lever does not close completely when the gun is locked up. if the lever is manually placed in the center postiton it locks up tight but it does not spring back like my other doubles. it also appears to be missing a screw. I've posted pics and would like to know how to repair and if the missing screw can be repelace. i'd like to sell this and would also like to know a reasonable price to list for. thank you, scott

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like the top lever V Spring is broken. It's not uncommon for them to break. The screw that is missing is to lock out the automatic safety.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

thank you, where can i find this spring and can anyone provide me wiht approx value.

thansk ,
\scott

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

can anyone tell me where i can find disassembly instructions and where to locate a V spring that is likely needed for this lefever.

Thank you,

Scott

Sidelock
Sidelock

A reprint 1913 catalog is available here. This catalog has good cross section illustrations, descriptions & also a basic disassembly procedure. Don't recall for sure if it actually covers the top lever or not but will at least get you close to it & the rest should be obvious. You can try some of the used gun parts dealers such as Gunparts Inc for the spring. Seems that Brownells used to sell a assorted lot of V springs which could be adapted to many purposes, not sure if they are still cataloged or not.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I replaced the V spring and the lever is functioning, The problem that i have now is that the back trigger still fires when the safety is on. Can anyone tell me how to adjust this or what the problem may be. I'd also like to know where i can get the screw or the size of the screw that is missing for the safety lock out.

thank you,

Scott

Sidelock
Sidelock

The safety on the Lefever is simply a block to the triggers, operating on the blades. Wear on the upper surface of the left trigger blade could cause your problem. Another thing to check is to be sure it is coming to the proper position. Operating the opening lever pushes the safety back past safe to the rear fire position. upon closing the gun it should return to safe unless locked out by the screw. Open & close the gun & then check by feel if the safety has actually returned to it's detented position. If it should move slightly forward & then both bbls be on Safe, it probably just needs a good cleaning. I make it a habit upon loading my Lefevers to always run my thumb on the safety & make certain it set properly.

Miller/TN
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Scott,
First make sure the "missing" screw is not just screwed down to the bottom of the hole. When this screw is used to lock the safety off(all the way to the rear) it usually is screwed in very deep and might just appear to be missing.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I checked, there is no screw there- whats the next step.
thank you

Scott

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Find the diameter and thread pitch and a new one can be made, or take it to a competent double gun smith.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you, is it possible that this will resolve the problem with the safety not engaging on the rear trigger or what exactly is the function of this missing screw. It was mentioned previously that this is to lock out the automatic safety.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I do not think this will be realated to the safeties engagement on the rear trigger blade. My guess is something is not tight, or is worn, and that is affecting your safety.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

The screw would have no affect on the safeties malfunction. On an unmodified Lefever 3-position safety, safe is in the middle. When pushed forward to fire it will be an auto-safe & returned to safe on opening. As mentioned though the safety is actually pushed beyond safe to the rear fire position. There is a flat spring under the safety with a little roller on the end. In the rear position this roller rides up an inclined ramp & upon the lever returning to center the sprong pressure causes it to roll back down the ramp to safe. The purpose of the screw is for times as trap etc, where the auto safe is not desired with the safety pused to rear fire position the screw can be turned in & lock the safety in this position. This it does by having a small pin projection on end of screw which enter a hole in the safety slide. As I mention make certain the safety is in fact returning fully to it's proper position. Gunk build up in the track or the roller could be stopping it before reaching it's actual detent. Just after closing the gun simply push forward on the safety a bit & see if it moves & then hits the detent causing more resistence to further moving. If it passes this test then you likely have a problem with the trigger itself, though the block could be worn or bent. One simply has to examine all parts/possibilities to say for certain.

Miller/TN
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.