May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (David Williamson), 278 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,707
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 27 28
Sidelock
Sidelock

In 2006, when the Disaster Recovery Personal Protection Act (which would prevent governments from confiscating legally owned firearms in times of emergency, such as New Orleans did after Hurricane Katrina) came up for a vote in the Senate, Obama voted for it. Clinton, as always in lock-step with anything anti-gun, voted against.

Obama could hardly be called a friend to law-abiding gun owners, but he is better than Hillary Clinton in that regard. Since he doesn't take special-interest money, at least he won't owe Sarah Brady, George Soros et al like Clinton would.

OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Jim Legg
Being a POW doesn't automatically make one a hero, either, just makes him a former POW. Ditto for being a veteran. Remember John Kerry?

Because he was severly wounded, the N. Vietnamese offered to send McCain home. He refused to go unless his comrades were also released. As a result, he was held in Hanoi for 4 more years. That's genuine heroism, and all of the Americans held with him consider him a hero.

Comparing John McCain to Kerry-the-medal-hunter is absurd and offensive.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim,

It was not McCain's status as a former-POW that makes him a "war hero", but rather his actions while a POW - specifically his refusal to accept parole from the enemy and his support of fellow POWs while a prisoner.

While I would agree one's actions in a Vietnamese prison camp do not have a great bearing on one's qualifications for President, they at least give one insight into the character of a person when the chips are down.

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are no good candidates.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've read all the stories. The VC were going to send him home, not because he was wounded but because his father was an Admiral and they thought it would be good PR. The story is that he refused to go home unless every POW who was there as long or longer than he was, was also released.
Democrats believe John Kerry is a war hero, too. Bob Dole was severely wounded and may or may not have done anything heroic. But Bob dole didn't portray himself as a "I'm a war hero, and I've got the medals to prove it", however. I'm seriously concerned that McCain will be just another over-the-hill career politician, awarded the nomination for longevity as Dole was. I'm also concerned he will lose badly, as Dole did.
He WILL, however, get my vote.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KMcMichael

I agree completely - McCain may be the lessor of two evils, and I am damn tired of having only wingnuts to choose from. The Dems had one good candidate, and so did the Pubs, both got little response in the Primaries.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Hero" has become so pervasive it's cheapened, applied to men and women who serve in the military and those who serve with distinction, to people who save animals and people from trees and ledges, and talk people off the rails of bridges. Hero fits McCain easily.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ideological purity for both parties will be a casualty this time around. 70% of the public wants change (and in my opinion rightfully so), and McCain is by definition the anti-change candidate. That's just the way it is, and nothing we say here is going to change that simple fact.

Imagination is everything. - Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: postoak
Originally Posted By: KMcMichael

I agree completely - McCain may be the lessor of two evils, and I am damn tired of having only wingnuts to choose from. The Dems had one good candidate, and so did the Pubs, both got little response in the Primaries.

Ditto:
Please remember that McCain was one of the driving forces behind closing the non existent "gun show loophole". After I patiently explained to him that there is no loophole and everyone at a show selling a gun has to adhere to the laws of the State he got irritated and hung up on me.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

McCain is anti-change? He's broken ranks with his president and his party on any number of issues, for better or for worse. Obama, like Hillary and McCain, is a member of the senate. That would be part of the Washington establishment, and in fact part of a Dem majority in Congress for over a year now. So in spite of Obama's beating the "change" drum, how does he--as a representative of the party in control of Congress--represent change any more than does McCain, a representative of the minority party who has frequently opposed his own party (and president)? And of course McCain ran as the anti-establishment candidate in 2000.

I guess some people are more willing to buy that "change" label than I am. Obama reminds me a bit of Homer Stokes, the "reform" candidate for governor in the movie "O Brother Where Art Thou?" We're never quite sure what his platform is, but by God, he's for reform!

Page 4 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 27 28

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.