April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Mark II, Tamid), 495 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,483
Posts545,257
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

Looks like the military will be moving me to just south of Fairbanks Alaska after this tour in the mid-east.
Being a bowhunter, upland hunter and father of 2 teenage boys, and owner 2 great bird dog any recommendations?

How much upland (grouse?) hunting, waterfowl or should I expect? Clay's ranges?
I'm getting the feel that is is mostly big game and fishing? (dang the luck).
Gunshops/gunsmiths in Fairbanks?
Rifles(or just use the drilling)?
Issues with traveling thru Canada on the ALCAN?

Thanks guys in advance. We really lucked out as a family with this assignment. This old Iowa farm boy now Texas transplant is really out of his league w/ this one but something tells me we'll adapt.

Dan

Dan
Sidelock
Sidelock

Your upland hunting is spelled Ptarmigan. Get a little way off the roads, and you can have a lot of country all to yourself.

http://www.parkergun.org/forums/forum1/4947.html

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dan I've been here since retiring from the military in 2003. I live south of Anchorage though. Grouse-not all that plentiful and you can kill them with rocks most of the time. Clays- don't know. It is 90% big game here. What size drilling do you have? Any with a rifle as least 7x57 will work but, you'd be better off having a dedicated rifle. I have a gunshop down in Sterling next to the Kenai river. It's much easier to let the Army ship your weapons. The last I heard there's a $50 tax per weapon crossing the Canadian border. If you are pulling anything on the ALCAN beware of the frost heaves. Going to fast over them can tear a trailer/boat up. Buy gas whenever you get to 1/2 a tank. From Seattle it took me 4 days in a 26' uhaul truck pulling an 18' trailer. Beware of animals crossing the road in the dark. We dodged wild horses, buffalo, wild sheep, wild goats, deer and black bear. Ptarmigan-off the road and lots of altitude. Questions go here. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/

Sidelock
Sidelock

One of the most fun weeks I've had the past few years was hunting grouse (ruffed and sharptail) outside of Delta Junction with an old friend of mine. "Pock and shoot" shooting in heavy cover, it was great, you'll love it!
Steve
BTW if you get an opportunity to hunt moose do it, for years my Alaskan friend told me it was tastier then beef, and he was right.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't forget snow shoe hares. This used to be my favorite time of year for them. Snow shoe off the road and find a strip of sunlit alder. Sit down on a log about 20 yds from the alders and wait. the bunnies will move in the sun to get warm. Perfect for a .22.

Mike- From Seward, travel back toward Cooper Landing to Mystery Creek Rd. Turn left and head for the creek. As you near the creek, look to the rt. There's a ridge covered in birch that always has grouse. Go to the end of the Texaco runway and there's a road to the left that will take you to the Chickaloon mud flats. Hump about two dozen Canada deeks to the flats and set up where ever you feel comfortable. Never seen so many geese in one place in my life. Life is good in Alaska. Just two more mos 'till soft water.

Cary Nelson

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are you coming to Clear AFS???

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have recently driven the Alcan Hwy. and found the road to be in excellent shape. Second the advice to buy gas frequently and watch for wildlife on the road durng the day as well as night. If you are planning to go before late spring/summer be advised that some motels and gas stations will be closed, particularly between the larger towns. Truckers use the Cassair Hwy during the winter since the elevations are not as steep. The scenery is better than the Alcan but the road north of Bell II is terrible. Make sure you get a copy of The Milepost...greatest trave guide ever written.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I did my 4 in the AF at Eielson AFB in Fairbanks. Advice: beware the orange water (iron), don't go near water in June or July (mosquitoes), and start practicing shoveling snow in 40 below weather at 5am before you go to work. Other than that, it's awesome, and a great adventure!

Imagination is everything. - Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fairbanks has a Trap club and Eielson has a Skeet & Trap club. Otherwise it seems the best clays are around the Anchorage area. I spent much of my tour at Elmendorf in the mid-1970s next door at Fort Richardson's Chugach Rod & Gun Club. In Kodiak we have two Trap ranges at the VFW, and there use to be a Skeet range at the Navy Base, but I don't know if the Coast Guard has it operational or not. Back when the Navy was closing out there I bought a load of 20-gauge AAs really cheap and for the next several years my suitcases leaving Kodiak were really heavy!! Probably couldn't get away with that today.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Do a posting over on the Parker Gun BBS. There are a couple guys who are regulars over there that are in that area. I'm sure they can set you on the road as far as clay shooting at least.

Destry

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.