May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (MattH, Jtplumb, Birdog, Argo44, 1 invisible), 232 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,028
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#82152 02/09/08 12:51 PM
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all, I 've had this thought for some time. Have you ever wondered about the stories that a gun could tell? Say an english or classic american SxS. The owners, the hunts, the amount of birds it killed, the places its been. To bad they can't talk. I wonder this everytime a carry a good old SxS.

All the best!!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
gjw #82162 02/09/08 02:11 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think that's why many of us buy them, the mystery of it all. Is it possible to not wonder why they are in our hands and where they came from? Not knowing stirs imagination; time evaporates as we wait for the birds to swing again over the tollers. "Har, har," said Long John. "It's the black spot, says I."

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow, Winters must really be long in Nova Scotia! I have been fortunate, I actually have some history a couple of mine.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Let it start with you, these guns will be around long after we are gone. It dawned on me when I was selling a simple marlin 336. It was my first deer rifle, took my first deer. I took a lot of ribbing from gramp because "such a big guy would carry such a little gun". When I sold it I wrote the stories down, right from its beginning with me at a pawn shop. The new owners thanked me for the stories and maybe they will continue to keep a history of the gun, maybe not. There is no reason not to start the history with you.

AKA garyg, depending on how confused and which computer Im on.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Funny how I get those thoughts when I carry ANY of my old doubles. Always wonder about the history and the stories they could tell, but never once crosses my mind if I hold an old pump-gun or even a single shot from the same era. Ahhhh behold the mystical side by side and all its enchanted history. Makes it worth it when all my fancy autoloader buddies call me ELMER FUDD. What kind of character and provenance can you get out of a Browning BPS?

Sidelock
Sidelock

We haven't had a winter like this in 50 years, Steve. There's a foot of ice in protected waters, salt or fresh, and I'm digging out my snares from the snow almost every other day. Snowshoes de rigeur. I like it though. Today I was smelt fishing and pacing off distances over the ice from a few of my blinds to confirm my range limits. And there's coming back to my home in the woods, with a wood-fire burning brightly, and the love of a good woman.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown
We haven't had a winter like this in 50 years, Steve. There's a foot of ice in protected waters, salt or fresh, and I'm digging out my snares from the snow almost every other day. Snowshoes de rigeur. I like it though. Today I was smelt fishing and pacing off distances over the ice from a few of my blinds to confirm my range limits. And there's coming back to my home in the woods, with a wood-fire burning brightly, and the love of a good woman.

I raise a glass of single malt as I light a fresh Cohiba to your contentment and satisfaction. My compliments, sir.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My environment?...... exactly like King Brown's. Temperature in the mid forties. Feet nestled up next to my Keroson heater. My carpet tunnel hand wrapped around my TV controller dialing back and forth between the Nickelodeon 1&2 channels. No woman around to nag at me and tell me to put on some clothes. Chips, pretzels, dip, drink filling the cluttered coffee tables on each side of my recliner. And a gun safe full of 21s. Well.......almost exactly like King Brown. Ain't life grand?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The "ghosts" is one reason I buy these old guns, when I dropped a pheasant with my 1850's Manton 9 bore for the first time you could almost hear them clapping and cheering!
I hope you guys don't think I'm nuts.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some years ago, a Gentleman gave me a lovely LC Smith hammer gun. Well used but clean and tight. I took it to Montana on my annual, and when I paired on sharptails, I KNOW it said "I have done this before!"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.