March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (jake van dyke, HalfaDouble, dogon, Ian Forrester, Mills, 1 invisible), 551 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

kdross,

Please give us an update on your Purdey Pigeon gun find. I as well as many others have followed your quest to find the perfect gun for you. I look forward to hearing the "next chapter" in your story.

kdross Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The Purdey pigeon gun was absolutely perfect and 100% original as documented by Purdey. It was much nicer than I imagined. If anyone wants a Purdey pigeon gun this is the one to have. For a modest amount of money this gun is a 100% original Purdey with 90% case coloring, original barrels, original stock and it has the original leather and oak case.

For me, a gun has to appeal to your heart and emotion. There has to be romance. This pigeon gun did not have these qualities. It was a beautiful gun. It was original. It was also heavy and not well balanced. The lack of balance bothered me more than the weight. The stock was also 1 ½ inches too short. If I had the spare change it would be home with me right now. However, I can only afford one gun and I want a game gun.

I have held many game guns but did not have the opportunity until today to compare a pigeon gun to a game gun. Today I was able to hold a Purdey and H&H game gun along with the pigeon gun. The pigeon gun felt great when I first held it. Felt a little heavy and a little off balance, but not bad. Then I held a Purdey and H&H game gun. Wow. What a difference. The game gun made the pigeon gun feel really heavy and poorly balanced. One of the game guns had a long stock and it fit me like a glove!

I am sending the pigeon gun back. It did not win my heart. It would make a great clays gun if I had the money. To have purchased the gun would not have satisfied my desire for a London Best Game Gun. I would have been purchasing the gun just for the name and condition of the gun. Buyer’s remorse would have soon followed. It is ashame becease it really was a great gun. How many 100% original Purdey pigeon guns from 1895 can their be that still have 90% original case coloring and the original case?

So the search continues.

After 2 years of searching I have at least narrowed the field as to the gun I would like. My ideal gun is going to be a Purdey game gun with ejectors, self-opening, 28" barrels, weights no more than 6 3/4 pounds, has a 15 1/2" LOP (will probably have to be restocked) and good barrels (.025 or better). A 20 bore would be ideal, but my budget is already stressed for a nice 12 bore.

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

Where's it at and what's the price ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am not surprised, the London gamegun is and has been the bread n butter of the trade. The gentle old money had the best at the estates, the bar room brawlers and whoremongers had the pigeon guns for clubs.
Hey wait a minute!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I too would like to know where it's at. Was hoping to see the pictures, as you said, you do not run across these just every day or so.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm with you Joe.

Do tell us where to find this modestly priced gun Ken. I presume the seller would be grateful if you passed along the information to those of us who do appreciate those overweight, out of balance monstrosities.

kdross Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

British Sporting Arms in NY. Asking price is $19K.

Sorry but I did not take any pics. Since I was not going to purchase the gun I did not take any pictures.

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks a lot Ken. Can't tell the rib configuration from the pictures on the site if it is the one pictured, but I am guessing a purpose built wildfowl gun vice a pigeon. The two Purdey pigeon guns that I have actually held were choked very, very tightly and were longer in the barrel. Unless these were openned, they don't fit the typical formula. I am also surprised by the stock length. No doubt bespoke, but could have been set up for someone wearing heavy clothes. Would have to see it. Interesting gun, and if the condition is right, then a very reasonable price. Those chokes also make it an almost ideal general purpose gun for modern ammunition. A leather covered pad and it could be a very useful thing indeed.

kdross Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If I recall the chokes were .032 and .026.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken it is good to see someone willing to follow his heart and postpone purchase until his specification is truly met. So many get stars in their eyes and wind up with less than their hearts desire because the lose patience.

You will savor the quest long after the gun becomes old hat.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.