Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

7 and 10 is not that heavy. About the same as a Superposed standard weight. You will enjoy that weight on the clays course, and everytime you pull the trigger on a real pheasant load.

The choke issue is a non-issue. Anyone with the coin to buy a Purdey can afford spreader loads one would hope! Home-rolled spreaders cost a whopping 2 cents more than standard shells, if you want to load your own. I've been known to shoot skeet with a modified/full Fox using spreaders and they do perform well.

Owning an extractor gun would not bother me one bit.

Buy it, just so we can see pix of it and your smiling face behind it.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

This sounds like you've finally found a keeper. From a weight perspective, you'll likely soon be able to tell if the handling suits you; we can't comment on that. I mean, take a look a some of the Italian guns being used for upland birds...is the weight feel all that different? If you put it up to your shoulder, does it feel right especially as compared to what you've tried in game guns? From a value, aethetics, and durability perspective, a Purdey pigeon gun in good shape would be hard to beat. Nice barrel length. How's the wood for you? On paper, it's hard to beat this gun.

kdross Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Update.

I am having the gun sent to Alfred Gallifent to be inspected. The only issue with the gun at this time relates to several "dents" on the barrel. I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

SORRY !!! I mistyped. I meant 20,000 dollars. Still a lot of money to take the originality from a masterful gun. This is the price quoted by Purdey, to a friend that needed the work done, in the past few weeks.
I will edit my post.
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
kdross Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

John:

$20K is still a lot of money. Hell, even at $5K I would pass just because it would ruin the originality of the gun.

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken, the gun sounds very nice and something that will always be desirable in the future. My only caution would be that being a pigeon gun it is likely to be quite high stocked for rising birds,
ie trap shooting dimensions.Personally this would not work for me.I shoot a Scott Monte Carlo B SLE pigeon gun for sporting clays and occasionally for ducks and pheasants, however I re-stocked the gun
to more typical North American field dimensions with more drop at comb and heel.This works very well for me.We are all different and
this gun may be perfect for you,but stock fit is sooooo important.
Good luck in your pursuit. Terry

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid,than open it and confirm.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Still chasin' thim Purdeys eh!
There are some great 2nd tier London guns about.
I'd tell them snobs at Purdey to kiss my a#% for 20,000.00 worth of ejectors - The old chaps have sold their guns, and there ain't any new chaps in ol'Londontowne!
Remember the Flock of Seagulls?

kdross Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mr. Glenthorne

I agree that their are many great 2nd tier London guns. I located a Stephen Grant Best gun in mint condition but the price was more than a Purdey.

If this Purdey Pigeon gun is as advertised it is a good gun. It appears to be all original. Alfred will verify this later in the week. I will be inspecting the gun personally to see if it floats my boat.

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was just thinking of the Stephen Grant 1890 ejector Kirby found that is in great condition...prices are amazing on these things.

kdross Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There was a really nice Stephan Grant Best Gun from 1925 that looked new. I would have purchased the gun in lieu of a Purdey but they wanted $30K.

Ken

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.