April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (SKB, Marks_21, Hammergun), 443 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
kdross Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have located a nice Purdey pigeon gun. While I wanted a game gun, this may be a nice alternative. The gun appears to be all original and retains most of the original case coloring. I plan to use the gun for clays and upland bird hunting. Any suggestions or comments about purchasing a pigeon gun over a game gun? Below are the stats from Purdey.

I have looked the 12 bore Purdey hammerless self opening non ejector gun no 15404 in our records & have found the following information:
Completed in October 1895 for Mr B. Thayer.
30" barrels, 2 7/8" chambers, shot with 1 1/4oz no.6 shot, chokes right modified choke left full choke.
Provision for fitting ejectors.
3rd grip & clip sides to action.
Original stock length 14 1/8" mid.
Original weight of gun 7lb 10oz.
We have no record of having fitted new barrels or a new stock to this gun.
I hope this information is useful.
Yours sincerely

Sidelock
Sidelock

At 7lbs 10ozs it will get heavy quickly. But, it is a Purdey pigeon. They're not all that common. It'd make a very nice waterfowl gun for decoying.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes Sir, that would be one classy Sporting Clays/Target Gun!
I think its a good weight for clays...& I bet the pride n pleasure of hunting with a fine vintage Purdey might make it not so heavy for birds, eh?.
And Pigeon Guns were often a makers best work.
Go get 'er mate..& I hope you love it.
Any Pics??
Cheers
Franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken - careful here. You must resolve for yourself if you have the strength and stamina to tote such a gun in your shooting. I am having very good success with a NID 4E of (now) 9# 2oz. But, I'm experimenting. Do you have any background data on how well you like/shoot heavier guns?

I'll run you some likely handling numbers later. Short on time at the minute.

Sidelock
Sidelock

From a condition perspective this sounds like a very nice gun that hasn't been mucked with. I know you have been looking for a Purdey in this condition for quite some time. IMO the really critical question you have to ask yourself (and you are the only one who can answer) is whether you really want a pigeon gun (as opposed to a light game gun.)

If you are looking for the "perfect" upland game gun, this one might be a bit heavy if your hunts involve a lot of walking (and you are comfortable swinging a lighter gun.) If you really want a Purdey, first consideration, as opposed to a "perfect" game gun, this one sounds like a beauty. It does sound like it will make a very nice clays gun.

Again, how big a a deal this configuration (weight, no ejectors) is for what you want to use it for can only be answered by you.

FWIW, I'd get it. Pigeon guns are much less common than game guns. I have not found an extra lb or weight or lack of ejectors a significant hinderance. And sometime they can be a real help, especially on the clays field.

Good luck,
Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot a lot of box birds, and so have become a huge fan of the big pigeon guns. In the condition you describe, that Purdey is a magnificant thing. You will find, if still choked as original, that it will likey be a tough mistress as target gun. Those lads at the turn of the century knew how to build chokes and both my Cashmore and Greener shoot very tightly indeed. Both are wonderful on Kansas pheasants and waterfowl. You likely will find it tricky on a clays course on some of those 15-20 yard close targets. That said, I would strongly urge you to make that one yours.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Condition is everything, it sounds like a beauty. If you love it, do it now. Later may be too late.

Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you are considering having the ejectors made,it will cost about 20,000 dollars to have Purdey do it. They will also have to anneal the action, rebuild parts of it and then case harden. The ejector system on the presently built guns is in no way the same as on this gun. The gun will no longer be original.
If the price be right, buy it and enjoy on clays, as it is.
Best,
John

Last edited by John Mann; 01/28/08 06:30 PM.

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
kdross Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Wow, $40,000 USD for ejectors? I thought $5K would have been the price. Regardless, I would leave the gun original and have no interest in ejectors.

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

As mentioned, It all depends on what you want from the gun, and only you can decide.
IMO, this would be the gun I would have from Purdey.
A Purdey pigeon gun is my must have.
Hope you go for it, and have lot's of fun with it.

HM

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.