May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (dukxdog, bigblock, 1 invisible), 623 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,531
Posts545,935
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not much help here, only to say that I use low-pressure in all of my old guns, twist included. I can't think of a good reason why I'd get in trouble. In many decades of shooting, I haven't seen any difference in results from old with low- and newer guns with higher-pressure shells. I shoot low now in them all.

Sidelock
Sidelock

CJ, I noted the white receiver on the Model 23. When Nick restored my SW after six months in six fathoms of salt water I didn't want to risk colour case hardening and told him to leave the receiver or action white. So that's how it is, at least for now. It's no longer original, for sure, but looks like your Model 23 and that's good enough for me. Thanks for posting picture of the gun. .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck,

Bore scuffing or scrubbing by the steel shot is not the only potential problem with the "not approved for steel shot" barrels. The other part of it is the fact that the steel, when passing through the choke constriction, will not compress as will lead and softer non-toxics like bismuth and tungsten matrix. The larger the shot size and the tighter the constriction the greater the danger that the shot will not maneuver itself into position to pass through the choke. On rare occasions this does occur. I have seen numerous split barrels and choke tubes caused by shooters using Hevi-Shot through tight choke tubes for turkeys. Granted, Hevi-Shot is even less malleable than steel shot, but the danger is there just the same for a split muzzle.

I use steel occasionally in a BSS on ducks, but with a modified choke on the left I always feel I'm taking a bit of a chance. Fact of the matter is, for woodies in beaver ponds one could ream out all choke in both barrels, shoot steel and be safe from barrel damage. And have plenty of density in the pattern for the ducks.

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.