April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 423 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,091
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

I will clarify my statement about at least one Arizaga that I mentioned earlier. The gun was priced at $2750, way too high for the particular gun probably five or six years ago. As a 28 gauge 2 barrel set of very basic quality and finish, it would have been a fair deal for both buyer and seller at $1200. I did not warn the buyer about the gun, I warned him about the price.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This from the index of Spanish Best, 1st edition:

Arizaga, Carmelo
Arizaga, Eusebio
Arizaga, Gaspar
Arizaga, Jose
Arrizabalaga, Juan Zubiaurre
Arrizabalaga, Julian
Arrizabalaga, Pedro
Arrizabalaga, Tomas
Sarasqueta, Adolfo
Sarasqueta, Felix
Sarasqueta, Maria Victoria
Sarasqueta, Victor
Sarasqueta, Victor II
Sarasqueta, Victor III

These as examples to show it can get confusing and it does not pay to generalize.

Mr. Wieland (page 55 of ref. edition) referring to the situation in 1960 also writes:
"Occasionally, wealthy Americans (or connoisseurs with more taste than money)
would travel to Madrid and up to Eibar and order an AyA or Victor Sarasqueta,
or even one of the lesser known names such as Eusebio Arizaga, Francisco
Sarriugarte, Martin Ugarteburu, or Pedro Arrizabalaga."

You can deduct that EUSEBIO Arizaga was considered among the best.
He may have turned out lower than par guns, but this I do not know.
As recommended, the inspection by the gunsmith should be clarifying.

JC

P.S.: To avoid another "bee" issue, the name is Arizaga and NOT Arazaga. jc

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Wow, lot of new comments. I will likely buy the gun at $2700 if it checks out with the gunsmith. The wood, hand detatchable sidelocks, and egraving are all very high quality from what i can tell. Similar, if not better, to AYA number 2s and 1s that I have seen with upgraded wood. It is not a low end boxlock with sideplates.
Thanks for all your info - I will make sure to post some pics when I get the gun

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good Decision, I doubt that you will regret it......ENJOY

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

yeah, as long as it is mechanically sound, I cannot see why a 20g gun with the quality engraving, excellent fit and finish, proof papers, extra brls, high grade wood and leather case is not worth the price.

Sidelock
Sidelock

JayCee, that's an interesting list in the statement from Terry Weiland. Everyone knows the name of AyA and Victor Sarasqueta, and most know Pedro Arrizabalaga. There's no doubt these names could and did turn out high end guns. The other names are less known. Martin Ugarteburu was indeed a maker of high end custom guns. I believe he went on to become an officer of the ill fated Diarm group, and did not survive their quick collapse. The only remaining name, other than the one under discussion, would be that of Francisco Sarriugarte. I have owned guns made by him as well, before he became the President of Diarm as I remember. They were not at all what I would call a high end gun. A couple were side by side guns, and perhaps three were O/U designs, very thick and stout and heavy guns, not at all a sleek trim high end gun. Maybe he made better, but I have not seen them. He went on to found Kemen after Diarm. You know what Kemen is noted for, stout, heavy target guns, similar to the O/U designs he previously turned out. I am not certain I would take from that listing of names "You can deduct that EUSEBIO Arizaga was considered among the best." I would want a bit more evidence than a mention within a list of other makers who turned out high end guns. I still am in the camp of the uncertain. When the gun in question is acquired, I would like to see some nice close-up photos. I also do not agree at all with the above statement that There is no such thing as a Best gun from Spain.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"The Arizaga is not a best gun by any stretch, and, unfortunately, in my opinion, every poster has confused this gun with an Arizabalaga, which is a best gun."

Well, you're wrong in my case. I can read quite well and I can tell the difference between Arizaga and Arizabalaga.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Based on the writings of "Jack" my buddy and I imported five 20-gauge 26-inch barrel straight gripped guns, sold three, and each kept one in 1967. They were good looking H&H hand detachable sidelocks and had good well regulated barrels. But, they had terrible internal parts that crystalized and broke. After replacing the right tumbler the second time mine flowed down the river of commerce, and my buddy didn't keep his that long.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would not touch obscure good looking Spanish stuff with a pole vault stick! French and German always Italian or Belgian maybe Spanish never. Reeeejected!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Researcher, am I correct in recalling that the Arizaga guns that O'Connor and you owned were made by Eusebio Arizaga?

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.