April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Roundsworth, KY Jon, LeeS, Lloyd3, Replacement, 1 invisible), 978 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,112
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Is it possible to convert a single, non-selective trigger on an English SxS to a double trigger? I like the option of barrel selection.

The only constant in life is change.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark,
Pretty much a given that it's possible. The question is: Is it practicable? Practicable includes cost as well as effort. If you aren't doing it yourself, effort becomes cost.

On to the technical stuff. If the triggerplate has two parallel slots in it for double triggers already, like all BSS guns, the conversion is much less complex. If it only has one slot, wide or narrow, it's going to very much harder.

With a triggerplate that has two slots, basically you gut everything that is part of the single trigger, leaving the safety and the sears. Some single triggers may have required oddly shaped sear arms. If so, they will have to be straightened or added onto so they reach to the conventional double trigger positions. The two new triggers would need to be fit to the existing slots and cross pins, fit to correct timing with the sears and safety.

With a triggerplate that has no accomodations for two triggers, the two parallel slots will need to be created along with the pillowblocks for the trigger pivots. This may mean extensive welding and machining.

Unusually bent sears to accomodate this single trigger design. The trigger slot is a single slot about double the width of a double trigger triggerplate.

This BSS trigger has two "legs" to fit the double slotted triggerplate.

All the identified parts would have to come out.

These parts are available from a UK gunmaker's supply house. Or they can be fabricated from scratch without much effort.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck covered it well, one thing to keep in mind is the safety mechanism. Most of the single triggers I have experience with have a different arrangement for the safety engagement. You would probably have to do some engineering, it would help if you have an original double trigger set-up to copy.

Jim

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's not worth goofin' with. That's why they come with a barrel selector switch. What kind of gun is it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

A whole lot less expensive to simply trade your ST gun for a DT gun. Thankfully, there are a few foolish folks out there that actually prefer ST's!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
That's why they come with a barrel selector switch

Note that in the very first sentence of his question he stated it was a "Non-Selective ST". Non-Selective triggers don't have them little buttons/switches whatever, you have no option of which bbl to fire first, which was his desire.
I do agree that unless it is a gun for which dbl triger assemblies are readily available, from a cost standpoint it will probably be more effective to trade.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck H,

As it appears you have more than a little knowledge of the BSS trigger how difficult is it to change a BSS to double triggers. Just wondering if the Miroku parts may fit. Thanks. tim

Dustin says, "Today is a gift, Have Fun."
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tim,
I would imagine the triggerplate of the BSS is the same as the DT Miroku. So, the Miroku DT's would probably fit. But, I have never seen Miroku SxS parts. Personally, I like my BSS guns as they are; single trigger. I have many DT guns that I can select from when I want a DT. But the BSS engineers apparently had a goal of building a SST that fit into frame/triggerplate for the DT. I doubt there are many guns this way.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, Thank you for your input and sharing your knowledge. I like double triggers in a clays gun as practice for hunting. Not many our there in a heavier 12 gauge. Thanks again.

tim

Dustin says, "Today is a gift, Have Fun."

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.