May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, Mike Harrell, playing hooky, Longknife, 2 invisible), 231 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,362
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#75515 01/03/08 09:24 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gentlemens:

Here are a couple of pictures of some of Mr. Hurst's work on barrels. His own barrels I might add. Looks like the cobbler's children finally get shoes...

The first is fresh from the bluing process and the other being polished before bluing.

Glenn

Last edited by Glenn Fewless; 01/04/08 01:30 AM.

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Spectacular! I hope to have such a nicley engraved gun some day.

Phil

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's some nice scratch'n.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like that!

What grit did you take the first set to?

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is that bottom barrel for that Baker he has nicely scratched up?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Aye Sir, 'tis indeed the Baker.

Brent, the barrels were taken to 600 and then burnished back with ultra fine ScotchBrite.

Glenn

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Glenn
Beautiful work by Ken and you.
When you say burnished back does the scotchbrite pad actually make it smoother (finer scratches) or is it coarser then the 600 grit. Just wondering.

Thanks, Jeff G.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for posting those pictures Mr. Glenn. I was hoping you would so the guys could see the quality of your work. I am particularly pleased with the satin finish as it doesn't hide the engraving -- in the past, the bluing tended to hide the scratching ( done by other bluers).

Thanks guys for the nice words --- it's a God given talent. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken, not all use their given talents!

Congratulations.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken Hurst

Thanks guys for the nice words --- it's a God given talent. Ken

While God grants the tools, it is left to the man to master them.

Glenn

Last edited by Glenn Fewless; 01/04/08 02:15 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Based on what I've seen of the quality of craftmanship from both of you gentlemen I'm impressed!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Mike ---- iff'n you could actually see some of Mr. Glenns work, you would be more impressed! This bluing is only part of the many things he can do and do better than well. He does stay somewhat backordered but isn't unobtainable. Mr Doug Mann also shares my opinion FWIW. Thanks all again for the nice words, Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr Hurst,
I stopped by on the spur of the moment one time to meet him. (Next time I'll call ahead!)But to my dismay he wasn't home at the time. He has a rifle of mine that is getting a fresh barrel. Based on some reccomendations he's the one I entrusted this special old rifle to for the work. If I had the extra funds to spruce it up some, I'd have you 'scratch' on it based on the work you did on the Wesson pictures I saw in the ASSRA magazine.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jeff G.

When you say burnished back does the scotchbrite pad actually make it smoother (finer scratches) or is it coarser then the 600 grit. Just wondering.

Jeff:

Fact of the matter is I don't really know. My guess is that the Scotchbrite is about as fine as 600 but it works differently. Now that you mention it, it would be interesting to evaluate the finishes under a microscope. While the 600 finish is shiny, the SB finish appears just as smooth but has a softer look to it. I am inclined to think it wipes the tops of the ridges down a bit, which is why I refered to it as burnishing. In any event it makes for a smooth, well blended surface that seems to respond well to the bluing solution.

Glenn

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mr. AkMike1

You could raise the money for the engraving and do a great service to all mankind by freeing that WR '81 from the shackles of incarceration. It longs to be free to grow and flourish, to seeks its own true identity and destiny as the finest of Stalking Rifles. Can you not hear its cries of angusish? Can you not find it in your heart to set it free?

Glenn

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ohhh Lord .........

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken Hurst
Ohhh Lord .........

LMAO My thought exactly...
I offered to let him fondle it if he'd wander up here for a moose hunt. But nooooo he wants it all for him self...
IMO he thinks it'd look better in his safe than mine!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mr. AkMike:

It is not my intent to simply engineer a change in residence for the aforementioned '81. It is to take that rough and lowly specimen of a military rifle and transform it into the highest form of the riflemaker's art: A best quality stalking rifle with a top tang safety (with, of course, a safety locking lever) and exterior lever/breech lock. Integral rib barrel. Fine Turkish walnut. Delicate English scroll engraving. Recessed tang sight ala Holland.

Think "My Fair Lady" here.

Seems a cruel master indeed who would deprive his issue of a better and happier life.

Besides, it would be chambered for the .375 x 2-1/2" Express, a cartridge both ultimately suited to the rifle and worthy of bringing to your great state in pursuit of the noble moose.

Glenn

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.