May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, 1 invisible), 843 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,386
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe I collect antique shotshells. I deal with lots of brass ones. For every 1 that I see that has been crimped I see 100 that haven't. Just observation nothing with offical data.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I kind of collect old shells too...all the brass shotgun hulls I've got are empty except the one.
I kind of thought all my empties were once factory loaded.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've got 4 or 5 that were crimped but have been shot. The crimp is still very visible. I also own a 10ga brass case hand roll crimper. I've expermented with it a little. Overall impression is that the cases would have a very short number of reloads. I've also seen 3 or 4 different ways to crimp brass cases. The least destructive would be slightly rolling the mouth over. The 10 or 12 point star crimp really destroys a shell quickly.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, according to protractor about 76 degrees included angle off the long axis of the Delrin rod looking down on the utility knife blade and maybe 10 degrees off a section normal to the rod looking at the point. Don't think it's critical as I eyeballed the slot with a hacksaw. Needs the angle to "draw" the blade direction of finished cut without presssure. Just another sort of screw or inclined plane. At slowest speed on the lathe, it takes a very fine continuous spiral shaving and bottoms very quickly without pressure other than that needed to hold hull stationary. Twisted by hand, takes the coarser spiral shaving shown. Matter of feed rate and pressure something like all that pie and TUMS Xmas day. And that spring wrench isn't needed to hold hull when trimming; it's a McGyver for holding the hull stationary under the el cheapo BP roll crimper.

jack

Last edited by rabbit; 01/04/08 01:37 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm having trouble seeing a star crimped brass case...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, you are a handy guy, make your own shell holder like I did. If I had a lathe I would attempt to make a roll crimper too. The hardest thing would be to polish the insides so that the burnishing of the hull doesn't grab the shell.

I don't know if I would do brass, different components, and like jOe said "I'm having trouble seeing a star crimped brass shell".
Most I've read about were sealed on the end with wax over the shot card.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Inclined as I am to the Armstrong-powered for reasons largely compelled by a surplus of power cords and a nagging shortage of power points, I also have my eye on one of those clamp-down roll crimpers. Oddly, most people seem to think they're some sort of apple corer or other fruity implement. I also like your shell-holder, JDW.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here you go.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Any brass hull can have its life extended many times over by annealing the mouth. Any method of heating the brass to, say, 500-600F will work. Dipping in molten lead and holding a few seconds is quite good; don't clean the brass first or it is possible to get some soldering. The amount of work hardening the mouth is subjected to determines the frequency of annealing. Something severe like the pie crimp shown would require frequent annealing, whereas a light inward crimp might not need annealing for several loadings. Glue/water glass requires no annealing, of course.

Careful with molten lead. Wear hand, body, and face/eye protection at all times. Be sure the hulls are all completely dry and free of foreign matter, but don't polish off the surface oxide.

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I used to make loads for a friend's 32-somthin or another from 30-30 cases and they needed to be annealed. I would stand up a bunch of cases in a pan of water, then heat with a torch until a dull red and tip each over.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.