April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (bushveld, obsessed-with-doubles, Argo44, PALUNC, 2 invisible), 227 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,040
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I do own a Boucher Boxlock w/ejectors. It bears #6217. It is well made, with Jean Breuil barrels. I don't know when it was made, but I would say pre 1960s.
It also says "le Fusil Boucher Champion du Monde" i.e " the Boucher Shotgun, World Champion" (???) on the water table.
"Boucher" is also found there rather than on the barrels.

WC

Pulp Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thank y'all for all the replies. I will post some pictures as soon as my soon brings my digital camera home.
The Greener does have proof marks under the barrels, but I can't make them out. I'll try to clean them up before I post anything.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Fake" and "forgery" are the wrong concept for JABC's in my view. Other than the fact that they were shotguns, they bear little resembelence to the name brand. The Belgians, I suppose, well knew that very few Americans knew what a W. W. Greener or Westley Richards looked like. Other than the use of W. Richards (William Richards of Preston/Liverpool), they only got close on the name. Despite the fact that most JABC's have been shot to pieces with modern ammo, I think they served well for the investment made. They were farm tools.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You have more faith in them than Greener did. According to him they were 'shot' when they were brand new.

http://books.google.com/books?id=3HMCAAA...pment#PPA393,M1

Sidelock
Sidelock

Greener had a considerable financial stake in denigrating them - I don't. I've seen too many of 'em still "tickin'" after years of abuse and no maintenance. They were farm tools, not heirlooms. They did their job as economically as possible. The Belgians made "as good as" guns at every opportunity. However, they had too many people to feed and they had to make anything they could sell. There was a big market in USA for farm tool guns. So, they filled that market.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sort of like buying Chinese stuff now.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm surprised we haven't saw one with a shovel or a hOe welded on the end.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Greener also touted his own "facile princeps" action over the standard A&D. He was in the business of promoting and selling his own guns to the detriment of those made by others. But interestingly enough, he eventually bought out Needham and made A&D's under that name--and eventually under the Greener name as well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rocketman:

I understand your point, but they were marketed under deception. Otherwise, if they had called it a tool and not a name similar to a known maker, then then known maker would not have attempted to drag the offender before a justice and we probably would not be having this discussion. But to sell your product, you have to have some sort angle.

KInd Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm sure the Belgians hoped their naming was deceptive. They believed themselves to need each and any angle available. I've often wondered if it actually made any difference in sales. I doubt that your basic clodhopper walking into the local hardware store had any brand awareness. He had $5.15 in his pocket and there was a gun that cost $4.95. That left him $0.20 for a few shells. That 'ole henhouse raiding skunk is agona pay with his life tonight!!!

Hj, you were born a century too late. Imgine the wealth you could have made with the "Dr. HomelessjOe's Shotgun Tool Attachments." All you'd need to do is solder on a bay-o-net lug and have a kit of a hoe, rake, pitch fork, splittin' ax, felling ax, cross-cut saw, scoop shovel, and post maul made up to snap onto the barrels via that lug.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.