May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (trw999), 1,116 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,513
Posts545,667
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 50 of 55 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 54 55
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: revdocdrew
William Wellington Greener The Gun and Its Development 8th edition 1907
p. 211 'Gun-making In Bygone Days'
"It is possible, but hardly probable, that in the lost treatise of Cataneo, "Arte de fare le Anne c i Fnd" the methods of manufacture current at Brescia in 1577 were explained in detail but we do know, from Cotty and others who mentioned the treatise when in the Paris Library, that it described some processes of manufacture. The works of Fucar (1535), N. Spadoni, V. Bonfadini, and other writers of the seventeenth century, supplemented by the information obtainable from an inspection of arms made in Spain..."

Remember that the Moors (a generic description of Muslim N. African Berbers and Arabs) controlled most of Spain (including the Basque gunmaking centers) from 711 until 1212, and were not defeated in Grenada until 1492. Extremely easy to see their influence on Iberian art and architecture (you paying attention jOe? ) Very likely that the primary 'road' for damascus to Western Europe was not from the east, but from N. Africa to Spain to France to Liege to Birmingham. Interesting that the Spainards named the kris swinging Muslims they found in Mindanao in 1512 Moros or 'Moors'. Wonder how those folks got Islam and damascus sword blades?!?

I'm still waiting for the Arizona State library to get me a 1958 article regarding Napoleon's role in all this

First, can you attach names or types to the pics posted for Homeless?

Back to Bell - "Manufacture of Iron and Steel"-1884 - Bell describes where the coal, coke & ore veins are located in each country. This post is mostly for France & Belgium. Bell describes furnaces 55 1/4 feet high at the Department of the Meurthe between Pont a Mousson and in the Nancy district. Coke was brought in from the Ruhr - Saarbruck(62 miles), Anzin(277 miles) and Ruhrort(215 miles). At St. Dizier, "an old seat of the French iron trade" a constructed canal allowed the transport of Prussian coke. There were works at Fourchambault and St. Etienne which used ore from La Voulte on the Rhone and Barcelona(Spanish connection?) and were "dependent on that sic(ore) from Mokta in Africa" as well as Elba(Napoleon - able was I ere I saw Elba).

In Belguim in 1882 only 1/6 of the ore used was native at the Liege furnaces. By 1878 the furnaces were totally dependent on ore from Luxemburt for pig iron. Also in 1878, Spanish(mines of Bilbao) and African ores were imported to process for Bessemer iron. So there had to be a long standing relationship between the mines within Spain & some of the African countries. This connection could have been established early on by a transfer in technology, i.e. the "Damascus Road"??

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 12/28/07 08:18 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The road still ends in England.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sorry Raimey-I edited that post.

Finest damascus tubes from Nessonvaux were on that 'road to England' headed for Birmingham and London jOe.

Sidelock
Sidelock

And somehow I can't see Jan III Sobieski at Vienna saying to himself in 1683 "Wow-look at all these neat gun barrels we got off the Turks. Let's go share this superior technology WITH THE FRENCH!"

Who said that is what happened?

Pete

PeteM #74497 12/28/07 10:27 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Nobody, but I wonder if some of those brls didn't make their way east to Russia. There may eventually have been a 'damascus road' from Russia to Prussia to England?
BTW: For some interesting history of steel development world wide see
http://met.iisc.ernet.in/~rangu/text.pdf
They report that Russian blacksmiths were making Wootz/Bulat in the 1500s. Maj. Gen. Pavel Anossoff (or Anasoff?) reproduced Bulat again in 1841.

Last edited by revdocdrew; 12/28/07 10:52 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

BTW: on p. 37 of the Winter DGJ are excellent pics of a Rigby under-lever which clearly has Six Iron Crolle. The pattern is more apparent related to the acid etching.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nobody, but I wonder if some of those brls didn't make their way east to Russia. There may eventually have been a 'damascus road' from Russia to Prussia to England?
BTW: For some interesting history of steel development world wide see
http://met.iisc.ernet.in/~rangu/text.pdf
They report that Russian blacksmiths were making Wootz/Bulat in the 1500s. Maj. Gen. Pavel Anossoff (or Anasoff?) reproduced Bulat again in 1841.

The relationship and knowledge goes back very far. The Viking's had established trade with Byzantium centuries earlier. They were importing wootz for their swords as early as 900 AD. During this time they also controled the Rus. Who later became the Russians. Much of this is documented in:
Blöndal, Sigfús. The Varangians of Byzantium. London: Cambridge. 1978
Ellis-Davidson, Hilda Roderick. The Viking Road to Byzantium. London: George Allen & Unwin. 1976

Look for the armor and sword making centers. Every time you find one, there is evidence of wootz. Many of these centers grow and evolve into making firearms. The perret was a blade making tool that was adopted to make damascus barrels. Daryl and I had chatted about the Viking connection some months back in email. I guess I never posted any of that information here. I will have to dig it up again...

Pete

PeteM #74553 12/29/07 10:36 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

PeteM:

Complicating the topic with armour: as recorded by Philip de Comines and cited in "Engines of War:..." where when the Italian knights were unhorsed and couldn't rise due to the weight of their armour and were chopped-up like cord wood with axes, were
there any suits of Damascus armour, decorative or not?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey,

I have not looked at a lot of armour. It is a complete topic unto itself, so I tread very lightly. We have a couple of collections here in the Chicago area. The pieces I have seen show no resemblance to Wootz. At the same time that fully armoured knights were riding around, gun powder was beginning to come into it's own. The closest I have seen were damascene swords. These have nothing to do with wootz or damascus. It is a term used to describe highly decorated pieces, such as swords.

Remember the whole Crusader myth about the damascus swords that could cut a piece of falling silk. No talk of damascus armour. As for the axes that did the cutting of fallen knights, a good chance they were wootz.

Pete

PeteM #74572 12/29/07 12:21 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew,

I keep coming back to the Fall of Vienna. Here is a good example of why. This miquelet is Albanian / Greek in origin. The lock dates to the late 1600's. The barrel has heavy damascene and the stock is in the Ottoman style. Take a good look at the damascus barrel. It is not Wootz, but pattern welded. They were not able to produce a discernable pattern, but all the elements are there. The only question is the barrel's origin. Who was producing pattern welded damascus this early? It was not coming from Liege or St. Etienne or Eibar. Perhaps Hungary? The silver leaf hides some of the detail.

Pete

Page 50 of 55 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 54 55

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.