Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's an excellent question...and squarely based in rational fact finding...but there is no singular reference for this information...but that doesn't mean the information is not all over the place...Pieper specialized in that low end market, as you know from Sears, Wards, and other catalogs (1890-1915). In fact they were Belguim's largest exporter of sporting guns by far during this period. Pieper specialized in what we call "Hardware Store guns" meaning that they would supply near any sizable dealer with unmarked guns so that the dealer could market them after affixing his own name...I have always suspected that companies like Sears where resposible for affixing misleading names like Moore, Richards, and Barker. Not Pieper!

That being said, when (Sears marked) T Barkers not only have interchangable parts with the same era Bayards, sometimes they even utilize the same little tab for attaching the OSH locks to the action that is indigenous to Pieper and Bayards only. It's also well known that very few Belgian manufacturers had the drop forges and the human resources to produce the volume of guns that where imported from Liege to America. Those Barkers don't interchange parts with any ML based actions or FN based actions, leaving only Belgium's largest sporting gun exporter as the final suspect.

As I said before...these are general observations of a particular era in their 100 year history (the era of tens of thousands of JABC's being imported to America)

note...it's interesting that your list of trademarks lists "Centaure" as one of their trademarks...this is also the trademark of ? sp? Fabrique Armes de Unies, Hanquet, and Continental...all trademarks that I have suspected of being later Pieper based actions

Last edited by Robert Chambers; 12/02/07 12:05 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is also well to note that "Patent #488,366 Dec 20, 1892" (US) was not for the bls, but the lock mechanism (not bolts). His US patent #246,195 Aug 23, 1881 covered his original style of "Mono-Blocked" (To my knowledge he never used that term) bbl joining. This was the style where the tubes were inserted from the breechs of the block & have a stepped appearance. These are often found on guns marked Original Diana. Also to my knowledge he did not have a patent which covered the method of joining shown on the bbls marked Modified Diana. On this method the tubes stepped & were inserted into the front of the block. On one I have the tubes only go about halfway through the block with a joint in mid-chamber. I am not positive but highly suspect they are threaded into the block.
Also not positive, but highly suspect Berretta "Coined the Term" MonoBlock.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pieper could not use Hanquet without registering the name. I have no documentation that they ever did. I count 12 firms / individuals named Hanquet beginning in 1826 to 1955. None registered the trademark Centaure.

What we are talking about is international law. Belgium was a signatory to the Madrid Arrangement of 1891. This was a revision of the 1879 law.

They could not simply grant trade marks as they pleased. No individual or firm would be irresponsible enough to simply appropriate a trade mark. Once registered in Belgium all brands were registered at the International Bureau in Berne.

The Bureau is still in existence today. It has evolved into WIPO. http://www.wipo.int/portal/index.html.en Belgium has maintained the historical data as best they could, through numerous wars and floods.

I could care less whether an individual maker produced the guns of the Czar, Henry VIII, etc or whether they produced junk. I do care about understanding the technology, why it developed along the paths it did and what were the constraints. I make no pretrense to know all things Belgian. That would be foolish. I do care about being able to properly document the commerce that took place. The Belgians were the largest producers of firearms for export for well over 100 years. We have English reports that state this. So, to my mind, it makes sense to start with them.

As for the term JABC.... It is a cute insider short hand. What it fails to communicate is that people purchased those guns for a reason. They were not "fooled" by the names. They knew low quality when they saw it. They were presented with a product that could accomplish a task at a price they could afford. I always laugh when I hear these statements. All those who believe that "their" grandparents or great grandparents were stupid hold your hands up now. Hmm, no hands showing.

I have never heard stories about gangs of armed Belgians running through the streets forcing people to buy their cheapest shotguns. Yet, Gunbroker and Auction Arms always have a healthy supply of these guns. Quite honestly, I have no illusions about why my forebearers left Europe. They were not wanted there. They were poor. They came here, but they were still poor. Some people do consider the T. Barker gun's of the world important: http://www.museum.state.il.us/RiverWeb/harvesting/harvest/waterfowl/tools_techniques/guns/

So if they consider them important, then maybe we should bother with them enough to at least properly document their origins before we toss them out the door as unworthy.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

PeteM
I'm recalling from memory here...what I meant was Centaure is also a trade name used by Hanquet...if I remember correctly the Hanquets either ran or owned Fabrique Armes de Reunies (sp?)(Centaure factory) that made some low end doubles, using non ML based actions...make your own assumptions from there...only two others were making reciever forgings.

If it's important to you, I can probably dig up an old catalog...I didn't trade it away so I must still have it somewhere...in the front of the catalog there are pics of two Hanquets (brothers maybe) at the helm of the company...

In fact most Belgian collectors know Centaure only as Reunies and the connection to Pieper is new to at least myself...

I guess that you would prefer if I abondoned the JABC moniker altogether...which is OK with me

also...when did WIPO start going back in time to before WW II?
I thought WIPO was for current trademarks only.

Last edited by Robert Chambers; 12/02/07 11:24 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Robert Chambers
Steve,
Yes...they made some extremely nice guns, especially the ones bound for Germany and Europe ...but that doesn't excuse them from the fact that they made more JACB's than all other European firms combined....It's been my general observation that when a gun is well made at the Pieper factory they are generally marked Bayard, but not always...when you see a gun that's of higher quality than Bayard, they are generally marked Henri Pieper...

It's just and unrefined observation...take it with you to the gun show, and cross check my observation for yourself...

When a Pieper is JABC, they are usually assigned a whole pile of names like W Richards, T Barker, Wm Moore, Manton, Jannsen, Dumoulin, Interchangable, Machine Made, and many more...The unraveling of what's what with this maker is more than I care to research, and for that reason I know very little about this GIANT Belgian maker.

As to your hammergun, according to this catalog...

model 335 has a round Greener cross bolt

model 331 has a round x bolt with side clips

model 332 same as 331 4th fastner

model 329 has a square x bolt with sideclips

model 330 same as 329 4th fastner

and then 7 grades higher in what appears to be higher level of fit and engraving

RC, thank you for that information. I must have a strange cat here made for the German market as it has markings in French & in German. It has a round cross-bolt, fourth fastener, no side-clips, and is marked "Machine Made Safety Action" as well as Bayard/Pieper Herstal. Also, as 16 bore it weighs 6 lbs. 2 oz. with 29" bbls. A lovely little thing retaining 90% CC that is my dedicated Prairie Chicken gun.

Thanks again, sv

Last edited by steve voss; 12/02/07 12:52 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve,

I would love to see pictures of this one.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
It is also well to note that "Patent #488,366 Dec 20, 1892" (US) was not for the bls, but the lock mechanism (not bolts). His US patent #246,195 Aug 23, 1881 covered his original style of "Mono-Blocked" (To my knowledge he never used that term) bbl joining. This was the style where the tubes were inserted from the breechs of the block & have a stepped appearance. These are often found on guns marked Original Diana. Also to my knowledge he did not have a patent which covered the method of joining shown on the bbls marked Modified Diana. On this method the tubes stepped & were inserted into the front of the block. On one I have the tubes only go about halfway through the block with a joint in mid-chamber. I am not positive but highly suspect they are threaded into the block.
Also not positive, but highly suspect Berretta "Coined the Term" MonoBlock.

2 Piper,
Thanks for the explanation of the Pieper system...how did you figure out the barrels go only half way through(?) from the patents or looking at the guns?
Also, if your interested, Pieper had a patented ejector system, a sidecocker Blitz system, and another barrel joining patent, and probably a few others if I go sniffing around...Alain's littlegun site says there are from 69 to over 100 patents, but I can only find 5 or so relating to doubles.
If you want, I can send them, or heres the numbers if you want to run them through the DEPATISnet system yourself

Blitz patent is DE73747

Barrel patent is DE15138 not the same as the US patent

Ejector patent is DE73762

The patents may help to date a gun if nothing else

PeteM,
about that horse and rider (knight)...isn't Bayard an area of Luttich? Where the Bayard factory is and the cottage laborers worked and lived?

Steve,
Does your gun have a German pointer engraved on both sides of the action near the hinge pin?

Sidelock
Sidelock

PeteM,
I just spotted this at littlegun...it connects Hanquet, Reunies, Centaure, and Pieper

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PeteM
Steve,

I would love to see pictures of this one.

Pete

JohnM, these are the best remaining ones. The second shows it in "after-action" status.

RC, no dogs, just large open scroll work all over the frame and action balls.

sv

Last edited by steve voss; 12/02/07 11:16 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Robert;
I have a junker Pieper Modified Diana on which the bbls were in rather poor condition & ribs & forend lug were loose. This I feel was the result of gun not having a positive bbl check hook so upon opening, the bbls are stopped only by the forend iron contacting botttom of frame which puts a tremendous force forward on the bbl lug unless it is opened very gently. This is a hammer gun with double underbolts & Doll's Head, laminated steel bbls. I had thought about trying my hand at re-tubing it for practise & got far enough along to put a propane torch to the joint. As I heated I noted that the melting solder did not form in the rim recess but instead began to form a ring in the mid-chamber area. I have no actual evidense of the tubes being threaded though. In the 1911 "ALFA" catalog is pictured a set of bbls of another brand with the short length stubs for fitting to a mono-block which are threaded. It was I felt a possibility Pieper used the same processs.
As to the patents, at present I only know how to access US patents. I wouild greatly like to know how to acess other countries patents. Any help you could provide along those lines would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise I could PM you my e-mail for the ones you mention.
Edited; Typing Terrible!!

Last edited by 2-piper; 12/02/07 11:35 PM.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.