May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (bushveld, Ian Forrester, Borderbill, SKB), 283 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,561
Posts546,350
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
SKB #67752 11/22/07 11:30 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very Kool, Steve! Come on over and shoot one here! I'll see if I can scrounge up a tag...Gonna trade with you, Pick up the "H" and drop off a DS16...I'mm looking at a 6x6, as of this morning his points are intact, they are in full rut, so they may be busted by Wed. when the season opens...Congrats!!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: jack maloney
According to our "former intelligence officer":
Originally Posted By: L. Brown
...the United States had no national intelligence organization prior to the creation of the Office of Strategic Services, which did not come into being until after WWII.

In fact, the OSS was established on June 12, 1942.

Now - about those WMDs...

Jack, I'm proud of you. You caught me on that one! (Of course unlike some, I'm quite willing to admit it when I goof.) I meant to say "until after WWII began".

WMD's . . . excellent article on the subject, recently posted at http://www.aina.org/news. What the "WMD naysayers" have never been able to answer is: Since we knew Saddam did indeed have WMD's at one time . . . where did they go? That article provides what appears to be a pretty well-researched answer.

F2F, although we've done a pretty good job of kicking Communism onto the ash heap of history, they're still out there. See North Korea, Cuba, China . . . and the campuses of far too many American universities, especially in liberal arts. And since we still use the word "Nazis", why would "Commies" be dated?

We've now reached 9 pages of "stifled discourse". Darn that Jim, causing us all to shut up with his evil tag line.

Last edited by L. Brown; 11/23/07 09:11 AM.

I do hate to see political correctness stifle free speech.

But as you now point out, Larry, free speech has not been stifled here.

BTW - You've used "stifle" at least 7 times in this thread. Are you trying to set a trend - or just being repetitive?

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

...why would "Commies" be dated?

I don't know; it's just so "cold war".

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry, re your take on U.S. military intelligence late coming up to speed, the British, desperately appealing for assistance, were sharing information long before US entry in the war, and in 1941 were working directly with US intelligence through the Canadian Sir William Stephenson's Intrepid New York office. Bletchley Park had broken German codes and ULTRA was the main reason the British were able to reduce U- Boat depredations in the Atlantic in the second half of 1941. I worked for years with the author of A Man Called Intrepid. Donovan and Stephenson were joined at the hip. It was a time when Canadian operatives were carrying out "wet operations" on New York streets. I knew one, as a friend.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jakearoo

My interpretation of Jack's take is that he believes such vituperation stifles true discourse.

There's the first use of "stifle" in this discussion, Jack . . . someone interpreting what you said relative to Jim's "offensive" tag line. But hey, even though Voltaire said you can't really be certain you're understanding the other guy--and he wasn't even working in cyberspace--there are some that may think they're smarter than he was and are capable of doing so.

But glad to see you can count to 7. For some folks your age, that's quite a chore. Woops . . . did I just offend the elderly?

King, I'm well aware of the history of Intrepid, etc. What you're forgetting is that many people realized there was a political nature to what the Brits were telling us. They obviously wanted us in the war, in the worst way (and FDR pretty well agreed with them, as did Donovan). But the isolationists did not. After all, some remembered simialar ploys (which were effective) back in WWI. Therefore, the isolationists were likely to view the Brits' "sharing" of their intel with us with a very jaundiced eye.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hell, I was proud of the word "vituperation" let alone the stifling of discourse.
And, I can only count to 7 carefully "at my age."
What is even harder is counting the number of angles that can dance on the head of a pin. (Or, on the point if it is different.)
Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net

But glad to see you can count to 7. For some folks your age, that's quite a chore. Woops . . . did I just offend the elderly?

No offense taken, Larry - it's the best we can expect from you. You've been preaching that no one can be sure how to interpret statements made in cyberspace. Yet apparently you feel it's okay to belabor one word from a second party's interpretation of a third party's statement. Interesting.

Jake - perhaps "pinhead" is the word you're looking for. But "how many angles" might be just right!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack, Told you it was hard at my age. I can't count the angels or the angles. Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net

Originally Posted By: Jakearoo
Jack, Told you it was hard at my age.

When it is hard at my age, I'm grateful.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.