March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Dan R, canvasback, David Williamson, craigd, ChiefAmungum, bsteele), 321 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,984
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I remember a bunch of you were showing them off a while back, but can't seem to find the thread. One for sale by me that may need some barrel work and reproof, wondering if I'd be in over my head.

Thanks, Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not even an Imperial.

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=82942629

We had a pretty long thread about this gun while the auction was active.

Honestly, I still don't think this gun is worth the selling price due to the work needed but I am glad to see the value of my Scotts increasing. My kids will appreciate it when I'm dead.

Imperials are FEW and FAR between. If the asking price is reasonable I would jump on it. You can always do the work later.

Email me at Marksman60@hotmail.com if you have some questions about pricing etc. that you don't want to put up here. PM function doesn't seem to work for me.

Last edited by Utah Shotgunner; 11/16/07 02:10 AM.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

From the 1928 A.F. Stoeger catalog . . .

Parker A-1 special = $721 (with single trigger)

Woodwared best SxS = $945.

Boss best O/U = $1180.

Scott Imperial = $1200.

Food for thought.

Ken

Last edited by Ken Georgi; 11/16/07 06:54 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

In today's world, there are guns with a glass ceiling - no matter how high the condition.
...and then there's the sky is the limit guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is the post where I debuted my "new" Imperial Premier:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...=true#Post38590

Abby Books has some Scott catalog reprints with a little information on the Premier Imperial.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Mike, the one I'm looking at has steel barrels and dates to 1891. It, too, is marked "The Premier Imperial".

Utah, sent an email.

Thanks, Rob

- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

This guy has one:

http://www.daverifflegunsales.com/images/guns/pig.html

It looks later than the one you're talking about, though.

Please tell me more about the one you saw.

If you don't want it, I may be interested in it.

Thanks

OWD
hfn_03570@yahoo.com

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The "Rest of the Story"

A local auction had a WC Scott shotgun listed in their catalogue with one mediocre picture.

I went by to take a look and it was a "Premier Imperial", I knew it was special gun but had no idea how special, thanks for the education.

The gun's serial number, 48788, says it was made in 1891, it' a 12ga with 32-3/16" bbls. I was suspicious of the 3" chambers but in my inquiries a board member told me that he feels they are original, more wadding was used used back then with the long barrels. They are Sir Joseph Whitworth Barrels, address "WC Scott & Sons Patent Triplex Lever Grip, Gt. Castle Street, Regent, London, England".

The only proof marks on the gun on 12 over C in diamond (which doesn't preclude 3" chambers) crown over CP, Crown over V, and the provisional proof mark .

The gun has 100% Rose & Scroll, sculpted fences and a bar across the top of each fence, they look as though to rest the gun upside down on a flat surface.

Gas checks run horizontally out each side of the breech face and there's a US patent date of Sep. 19.82., perhaps they were added later or the serial number chart is wrong.

It is not without problems, the right barrel would not cock and the bores are .745 &.740, out of proof. There is slight pitting in each bore but in my thread about wall thickness I deem that there seems to be plenty of steel left to hone and reproof.

With the honed out bores the chokes (4" cones) are between .045 &.050, hard to tell there's some rust inside and outside the muzzle.

The stock is a wonderful piece of marble cake with a light colored but well done extension of about 1/2", fully engraved heel & toe plates. There is a repair on one of the lock plate borders and the checkering is rather simple compared to the fleur de lis of most pictures I've seen of Premiers. The dimensions are very shootable, 14-5/8, 1-3/4, 2-1/2.

So at the very least, a hone, reproof and reblue, repair to cocking mechanism, probably about $2K.

I was hoping to steal this one, which is not an impossibility at a general auction. They told me the lot would not go off until after 5pm today, I got there at 4:30 and had just missed it. I was cursing myself if it went for under my budget but not to worry, the hammer went down at $10K, add another 25% with commission and tax, $12,500.

Someone else now owns it.... back to scrounging up Nitro Specials

- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow - that's a very odd Imperial. I've never seen one with such simple checkering. Usually it's real fancy. And the engraving is odd.

Maybe it's because it's such an early one.

Do you have any more pics of it?

Did you write to Gallyon for info? I wonder what the records say about it.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No other pics, sorry. I thought the stock might be a replacement, but it would have to be an old replacement. Maybe it is because it's so early..
Gallyon was kind enough to tell me he did not have early records for Scott.

- Errol Flynn
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.