April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (NCTarheel, Jimmy W, Jeremy Pearce, canvasback, DaveB, 1 invisible), 1,043 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,126
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What do I need to know before I replace a broken firing pin in my Nitro Special? I've heard it helps if you have three hands or a jig to compress the mainsprings. A little help, please? Chops

Well, three hands is possible, but four or five really works better! Removal is not too bad, if you are sure to not shoot parts all over your shop. Putting it back together does really need a jig. Here's a photo of my home-made one. Comparing the pic to the spring assembly should explain it's use.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Roy, not really. I can't put the thing together in my mind. Is the nut end used to compress the mainspring? Sorry for my adled brain. Can you explain it somewhat, please? Thanks for responding. Chopperlump

Boxlock
Boxlock

Roy
I find myself in the same situation as chopperlump but probably know even less about the gun. In my case, the LH barrel of an un-redeemed gun wouldn't fire. Upon disassembly a firing pin was found in the receiver, looks to be a two piece unit unless it's someone's cobble-up job. I hate to take the RH side apart to see what it is suppose to look like given the difficulty of re-assembly. I should be able to fabricate a similar jig but require some instruction in it's use.
Am happy to find this forum.
Jim

Last edited by on2wheels52; 11/18/07 10:08 PM.

Give me a little time and I'll see if I can put together a picture of the jig in use or, alternatively, provide a verbal description. Be patient, OK?

Roy

Sidelock
Sidelock

Perhaps this will help. You need to compress the main spring in order to locate the hammer and secure it with it's pin.
I made a tool that functions like Roy's from a wood clamp. I just ground the top tang of the clamp to look like Roy's tip. It fits in the slot to compress the mainspring.

Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn

Well, gents, here we go....

First, I can sure see where the confusion comes from. The picture above has an extra piece threaded on to it which is just there for "storage" in case I need to make any revisions in the future. Secondly, I did not explain that the 1/4" threaded rod has an aluminum tube over it to avoid scratches on the gun's frame.

The first picture which follows shows how the jig is "hooked" into the cocking cam cuts to keep it from slipping off.

The next picture shows the jig in place, ready for spring compression.

Picture #3 shows the spring compressed far enough to allow insertion of the hammer in the frame.

The final picture shows one spring in place and one still out of the gun.

Hopes this helps some!!!!

Roy

Last edited by Roy Eckrose; 11/19/07 06:45 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Roy, thanks a million! Now it is very clear and I will commit it to my save file. This board is the greatest of its kind with the most selfless, wonderful, helpful folks. The American public could sure learn something about kindness and civility from the folks who make up this board. Thanks again, Roy. Chopperlump --- an unreformed Nitro Special Lover.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Roy
Thanks from my end also, will try to fabricate a similar tool.
Rob
I appreciate the diagram also, my gun is probably missing the spring and plunger that retain the firing pin.
Jim

Glad you guys found it useful. Crude, but it works.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.