May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Canvasback13, Chad Linder, Lawrence Kotchek, cable, Ian Forrester, 1 invisible), 296 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,550
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

JayCee, pardon my ignorance but where is SA? I can't finger that one out........ Yes, I really like Dez's shows. I believe Merkel became one of his sponsors last year, so if I'm not mistaken this is the second year with it. I believe he did use one on one of the years on the HWH shows....... When I retired 1 1/2 years ago I had to have something to do while I laid around the house, so a satelite dish was the answer. (Two coffee tables on each side of my recliner filled with snacks- watching Dash and Dez. Now that's heaven). The summer is pretty boring without ol' Dez. I would like to see him hunt with Tom Knapp. Now that would be the elite hunting show. At least for me since they are my two favorites........ I had always noticed that Perkins in the beginning but I have never seen one, Jim. Are they pretty rare? I just figured it was just a clunker.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jimmy, clue. You and I live in NA.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

OK. Thanks. I thought about that when Salty Arabia, South Arkansas, and South Akron went through my mind.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jimmy, sorry about the "cryptic" description of my whereabouts. I am actually in Santiago de Chile, SA, :-)

Jack, thanks for your concern, but the earthquake was way up north. Hardly felt around here.

Who is Dez?

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry, I just found this very informative source:

http://www.hwhproductions.com/hwhfaq.html

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

So, there's an "English" way of "properly" closing a gun? No surprise. Of course, there's a "trapshooters" way of "properly" closing a gun too... lightly cradle the forend, with the butt under the armpit, lean 100% of the body weight on the forward foot, rock back to the back foot swiftly while raising the gun to the shoulder smartly, thus allowing the weight of the barrels to snap the gun shut like your girlfriend closing your 71 Pinto door after you told her you were going hunting on her birthday.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: JayCee
Who is Dez?

Dez Young is the owner of Hank, a English Setter out the Llewellin bloodlines. Dash is the offspring of Hank. As I understand it, Dez Young was involved in media productions during his career. He produced a hunting show, "Hunting with Hank", 1997-2002. It was truly a unique show. It usually consisted of Dez with Hank and maybe a friend, hunting at various spots around the USA. He never talked about equipment, though he used a Browning BSS exclusively for several seasons. He never talked about dog products. He simply hunted with dog and friends.

He had no problem showing episodes where he never hit a bird. The show evolved a bit. He mated Hank and produced Dash to be the replacement.

http://www.hwhproductions.com/index2.html
http://www.nalba.org/llewellin_setters.htm

I had stopped doing much upland hunting. Then I saw his show and it re-ignited by interest. He was selling VHS tapes of old episodes from his website. If you ever get a chance to see one of the shows, especially the old Hunting with Hank episodes, go for it. These are filled with classic upland hunting scenes. If I had a copy, I would send it to you...

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

You gotta be careful how you close your trap gun in these modern times. Best close it when the previous guy shoots, to avoid the stupid VOX system throwing an early target. Ah, the days of pretty trap girls... long gone...

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

JC:

Dez Young probably has a CD of his vocal "stylings" if you need to get in the mood.

"Upland days are on my mind both by choice and by design." My wife and I had arguments over about whether "choice" and
"design" are a distinction without difference. Can't do all the lyrics here; Jim may be listening and he's right: "Hunting With Hank" was pretty dreadful.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah, the whole music theme and narration bordered on icky-sweet, but it still had the best upland cinematography of any show I've seen. All in all, a very good show. Put on some Marty Robbins and turn the volume off the show and have a quail dinner while watching.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.