April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (PALUNC, SKB, Marks_21), 433 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dr Gaddy referred to the Linder 'Herringbone' pattern as "Manufacture Extra." Does anyone know the origin of that label?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe we could hear from someone who has actually had a set of etched Lindner barrels redone. I suspect that Doug Mann's etched barrels may be in original finish, but, if not, it would be nice to hear from him.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"It is necessary to look into the history of the area that is now Germany to understand some of the marking on guns of the period between 1850 and 1924. I have chosen these dates for much happened to confuse us as to when and where a gun was made.
Imprints such as Prussia, Thuringia and Saxony on the water tables and barrel flats on many guns indicate that they were destined for the United States as their final destination. The U.S.Trade Laws prior to 1891 had no requirement that a country of origin be marked on product or merchandise. The Law was amended in 1891 to say that the name of the country of origin be imprinted. We therefore see Thuringia, Italy, Nippon and the like on guns of the period and up to 1921. This Trade Law was again amended in 1921 to read that the imprint must state , Made in Country of Origin. We see, then, Made in England, Made in Italy, etc.
After the downfall of Napoleon I, in 1815, European heads of state met in Vienna, Austria to reform and reorganize Europe. Parts of the Duchy of Saxony, which had previously aligned itself with the defeated French Emperor, were given to Prussia. The area also included Thiringia and the town of Suhl.The Prussian government administered the province until 1918 when the former Duchy became the Free State of Saxony. Thurginia became the Free State of Thuringia in 1920 as part of Germany. The stamping of any of these was totally to do with what year, month or day the gun was finished. It was all political, as one can see."
I lifted the above from the Winter 2005 Double Gun Journal. Hope it helps in understanding the gun's markings.
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Absolutely Gorgeous, Congratulations. WIsh I could find treasures like that!

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Without your help c-man I might have passed on this used-citori-priced gun"

Damn,I was also enjoying this too until you threw that part in!
Seriously nice score,always feels good to buy them way below market.May we ask auction?want ad?tip from obit page (don't laugh I have often wondered if that might work)
BTW c-man feel free to let me know of any other you find like that!

Last edited by Dave K; 11/15/07 03:05 PM.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

DaveK:

I did not find this gun Mark found it and called me to ask some questions and get my opinion of the deal. If I had found it, I would own it.

Originally Posted By: eightbore
Maybe we could hear from someone who has actually had a set of etched Lindner barrels redone. I suspect that Doug Mann's etched barrels may be in original finish, but, if not, it would be nice to hear from him.

I have a Lindner-made C Daly 20 gauge Damascus gun. The 28-1/8" barrels were redone by Pete Mazur, who gave them a nice, original looking grey finish. This gun is not herringbone Damascus, but is the fine fingerprint style, marked "Charles Daly Fine Damascus Barrels". It has the HAL over crossed pistols stamp and is marked "Prussia" This is a grade 165 ejector gun with intercepting sears.

Last edited by Chukarman; 11/15/07 03:44 PM.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Mann

"It is necessary to look into the history of the area..."
I lifted the above from the Winter 2005 Double Gun Journal. Hope it helps in understanding the gun's markings.

John,

Thank you for posting that. It extends well beyond this topic and is very useful information.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Revdocdrew,

The earliest SD&G catalogs I own list several types of damascus available on Daly guns. These include what SD&G referred to as "Clunny" damascus, "Bernard or Turkish first quality damascus", and "Chine" damascus. I've never been able to associate which one of these might correspond to the "Herringbone" pattern often seen on Prussian Dalys (usually diamond quality guns).

John,

The possible date of production of Mark's gun falls into a pretty narrow range. The gun does not bear proof marks (which marks it as a pre-1892 gun), yet it also (I'm willing to bet) does NOT have the Anson & Deeley brevete mark and use number stamped on the center of the breech which means it made made after the A&D patent had expired. The gun also shows the "early" Lindner crossed pistols under crown mark which was revised in response to the newly required government proof marks. And of course the guns bears the "country of origin" mark required beginning in 1891.

I confess to not having firm enough grasp of German history to know if it reasonable that the timeline for marking the gun SAXONY instead of PRUSSIA would correspond with some change on "ownership" of the land in and around Suhl. Or perhaps Lindner (SD&G) thought SAXONY looked nicer than PRUSSIA and changed it.

George,

I remember taking a quick look at the big 8. If it bore crossed pistols stamp with a crown or HAL over them, it was a Lindner gun. I know of one man who was interested in the gun. I have not heard if he as successful.

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken:
I have thought about this dating problem for years. With no records available from Lindner's production, we are left to use the tools we have to come as close as we can. We are on the same page here.
If we assume that a gun was not given a serial number until it was finished and passed Lindner's inspection, it is easy to see that the action could have been built a little earlier than its number might indicate.
Using all the tools available, it seems to me that the gun was finished and shipped in 1891. But could very easily been built earlier. Say three or four years earlier.
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Do we know the hammer price on the 8 bore Diamond quail gun? The website is not very friendly about giving out prices.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.