March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ian Forrester, GSPWillie, Tim in PA, R. Glenz, Ted Schefelbein, steve voss), 809 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#65315 11/07/07 11:40 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK, I am giving up on the idea of shooting damascus barrel sxs guns in CAS. A little too fuzzy for my limited knowledge of the subject. But you guys know doubleguns and so I bring it back to you. I have had great luck with Husqvarna rolling block rifles and shotguns and have owned literally dozens in a rotating collection. I know that their sxs guns are highly thought of. I am looking at one Model 51 that might meet my needs. Though I am not a big fan of back action locks. The other is a Bayard with steel barrels.

http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info_9.php?products_id=1923

I have done alot of business with these guys and they are always happy to take guns back (I have sent back two, no questions asked). Seems to be a sound and attractive sxs and in my price range. It has steel barrels and I would bet, though have not confirmed, post 1924 nitro proofs. Any opinions?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rudy,

We have used heavily a Husqvarna M51 16 gauge for some years and a few friends have 12 gauge versions. Really good, solid guns, IF there is no damage to lockup (underlugs and crossbolt and lockup in general) and no extensive pitting, dents, hacked off barrels, reaming, cracked or badly oil-soaked stocks, etc. Those long backaction locks are among the most reliable, plus, they generally allow the hammer to be cocked with less effort than the shorter-springed versions, like on that Bayard (I have both types). All M51s I have shot had decent trigger letoffs -- still, good to have letoff checked. Do look at firing pins carefully. One I have had poorly home-made ones -- had machinest make new ones.

All the M51s I have handled have rather modern stock dimensions, with drop at heel of about 2,0 inches. They are quite good wingshooting guns and both barrels shoot to same POI, at least all I have shot or heard about. All originally had 65 mm chambers. There is enough metal in barrels to lengthen to 70 mm.

I have no personal experience with Bayard hammer guns. However, I can say the following with confidence.

Hopefully, that Bayard has "dolls head", as well as double underlugs. Those backaction side locks on it are, like the longer ones on the M51, originally a Sauer design and also found on Husqvarna M52 (Husqvarna copy of Sauer M2?) and early Sauer hammer doubles (M2, etc.). I would look carefully at underlugs for signs of "blacksmithing", or ask person at Simpson Ltd. to do it for you. Beware that their "excellent" bores can still have lots of pitts when cleaned carefully.

The Bayard originally had 65 mm chambers. No idea about barrel wall thickness just ahead of chambers. With brass hulls, no problem.

All these guns originally had flat-topped, net checkering, NOT pointy-topped diamond checkering. Don't let folks tell you the checkering is badly worn, just because of the flat-topped. IF redone with diamond checkering, look for what else has been "redone".

Those "nitro" proofs are likely more like CIP than SAAMI. No problem if reloading, especially 12 gauge.

Niklas

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks NiklasP. The folks at Simpsons are generally very good about pulling any gun in their inventory and giving detailed descriptions over the phone and allows instant answers to questions. Harder to get an email answered. I will print this out and use as a guide during my conversation with them.
Cheers!

Sidelock
Sidelock

That looks like lovely assembly line made Piper. If all original in the barrels you could shoot that thing no problemo with lower pressure 65mm shells.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm a low-pressure guy all around - even in my non-gun life. Intend to shoot mild BP loads and maybe some Winchester Ultra-lite target loads. It is a pretty shotgun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rudy,

It may not make any difference to you, but, best I can tell from pics on Simpson site, drop at heel of Bayard is much more than for M51 Husqvarna they have recently listed. That could be 2,0 inches vs 3,0 or so/more inches.

The M51 is a plain gun, no engraving or etching at all -- nice lines though. So, if pretty is important to you .................

Niklas

Sidelock
Sidelock

Both the Pieper and Husqvarna made guns are a good value for the money. The gun at Simson was produced when Nicolas Pieper was running the company. My guess is some time after 1905 in the huge Pieper factory. It has all the typical Bayard markings, engraving, etc. It will have a greener cross bolt.

When you get it, take a look at the proof marks. If you have questions, you can post them here along with pictures of the proof marks, which will help to pin down the production date.

The issue is more than the chambers or damascus. Pieper did change their steel to conform with the increasing service pressures over time. These shotguns where produced over a very long time. I have a 28ga version made in the late 1940's that I use for hunting. Took some grouse and rabbit with it a few weeks ago in Wisconsin.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

The pieper/Bayard you are looking at also has chopper lump barrels...if thats important to you...

gunut
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gunut
The pieper/Bayard you are looking at also has chopper lump barrels...if thats important to you...

Uuuum, OK, what is a "chopper lump" barrel? My gun vocabulary grows again.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chopper lump barrels have the lumps made in one piece with the barrels rather than as a seperate part.

Last edited by steinauge; 11/07/07 08:45 PM.

N.R.A lifer
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.