May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (old colonel, coosa, Jtplumb, Bret Adams), 292 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,495
Posts545,343
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#64722 11/03/07 09:19 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stanley Steamer/ October 3, 2007
When the heart aches like mine does now, it’s hard to believe it will ever mend. And I know for sure things will never be the same around here. You see, Stanley died today. It’s so hard to even write that phrase.
Stanley was a German Shorthaired Pointer. A pointing dog who wouldn’t point. But then morphed into a spectacular field dog. Classy to look at but ordinary in many ways. He was sent to me as a gift with a Pointer puppy I purchased from one of the Ted Turner ranches in New Mexico. It was a situation where that part of central New Mexico had tons of rain during the summer of ‘99. The roads and kennels had been partially washed out and the breeder just needed to get the puppies out of there. I didn’t really want another pup but the price was right. I didn’t want another Shorthair and sure didn’t want a male. “Send me the smallest female in the litter,” I pleaded.
Stan arrived with the little Pointer bitch and brought new meaning to the word “playful”. All puppies are cute but Stanley was off the charts. He always had to be carrying something around–a ball, of course, was the favorite but it could be anything he encountered legitimately or had stolen. I once witnessed him standing for more than an hour with a ball in his mouth waiting, hoping one of the others would play a game, any game, with him even if for just a few minutes. He graced the pages of Pointing Dog Journal with one of his baby pictures. Stan had a way of winning your heart with his sad looks. Like if he wanted to come into the house, he would stare through a picture window on the porch with longing, soulful eyes until you couldn’t pretend any longer you weren’t looking. He had all the moves. And a great voice with good pitch control. It seems as though most of the Continental breeds will howl at a distant siren but Stan could actually yodel. I didn’t teach him that but confess I did encourage it. I could have taken this show on the road.
He didn’t point a bird for his first three years. And then only under duress. Throughout his life, play came first, even before eating. And of course it was much more fun to chase than it was to point. So it was a matter of keeping the great attitude–his and mine-- while trying to train him.
His ground speed was phenomenal but when he would hit a scent cone, he wouldn’t even slow down. He knew at the end of the scent cone were likely some feathers–somewhere, and maybe a bird to chase. No e-collars; I wanted to bring this dog down to earth but not dampen his spirit. Just lots of planted birds. Stan had chase but no point. Same story on wild birds. I finally decided after 2 ½ years of this that Stan and I were at the end of the road.. I tried to find a home for him, wanting to give him to a family that would provide the great home he deserved. No luck.
Finally, my friend Nick said he would work with him. He likes to work with problem dogs. I was sure I wouldn’t have to feed him again. He stayed with Nick for some 3-4 months then one day Nick said, “He’s ready to come home.”
“Oh, dang.” I thought. “Are you sure you don’t want to keep him?”
“Stan’s doing better. He understands the idea of pointing now,” Nick allowed.
So, I picked him up. By this time Stan was three-plus years old. I always did like his personality, but he grew a little too much for my taste. At about 65 pounds, he stood the tallest of any of our eight dogs. He was beautifully conformed and he could absolutely fly. Like a Thoroughbred race horse, Stan was correct in every way for speed.
I put him in the string with the other dogs that year. I knew I would have to hunt him by himself so there wouldn’t be any competition with another dog. He was a natural retriever and started putting that together with this weird concept of stopping to point when he found birds.”Now, that’s a novel idea,” he must have thought. Absolutely no class for the next month or so. Then he found that pointing was as much fun as blowing through a covey-- just so he could watch them fly. “Besides”, you could almost see him reason, “I can’t catch them anyway. I think this idea of pointing them has some merit. I’ll try it.”
A cold, indifferent, if contrived stance on birds grew into a classy, staunch and very dignified point that year. Intensity increased on point and the ground speed was as good as ever. He had really come into his own. He loved the new twist on his profession. I can say it was one great package that only got better for the next several years.
And now it’s over. Saturday at this time he was fine. He had a little gastro-intestinal distress that afternoon and went off his feed on Sunday. That was unusual for Stan and I was starting to get concerned on Monday when he still wouldn’t eat. He was drinking a little water but never ran a temperature. Monday morning I rushed him to the vet’s office when we noticed a bloody anal discharge. They ran IV’s and treated him as if it were a Parvo case, keeping him in isolation. And early this morning just before Sandi arrived at the vet’s office to check his progress, he checked out for the last time. This time it was the fat lady’s turn to sing, Stan, though she could never yodel like you did. So long, pal, we’ll miss you terribly.
The first parvo test (from a stool sample) came back negative. All the dogs on the place are vaccinated annually for Parvo (and about everything else we could encounter in the desert Southwest). Everyone at the vet’s office was confounded that second day when that report came back–no parvo. But he had all the classic symptoms: rapid heart rate, lowering white blood count, depression, vomiting, diarrhea, but no elevated temperature, until the very end. When he died, we were still unsure what the problem was so we opted to do an autopsy. The necropsy report: parvo. This time they had tissue samples. The parvo hit him hard in the small intestine. How did an adult dog with a long history of annual vaccinations come up with parvo? He hadn’t been off the property for at least a month. No other dogs came onto the property for months, except possibly a coyote. Stan was an incorrigible eater of feces and we do what we can to mitigate the temptation for others who might be inclined. (It must be an acquired taste.) Was the vaccine defective? It was well within the expiration date and had been stored properly. Was there an occult carrier who slipped onto the property—a coyote jumping the fence? Someone suggested flys can carry the virus. We have more investigation to do.
Someday, I may fill that empty spot in the dog trailer, but for now that place belongs to Stanley. Maybe I can teach one of the others to yodel as we’re going down the road but, like I said, it could never be the same....

GIL RUSSELL (2 photos included)
2751 N Lone Dove Trail
Tucson Arizona 85749/ 520-760-8853/ Quailman85749@Hotmail.com

[IMG]
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Gil, sorry you lost Stanley!Seems the good ones leave us too soon! Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

been there, done that with loosing a dog.
It sucks.
But, just like women,
Nothing gets you over the last one like the next one.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil, touching and very well written. Sorry for your loss.

Now that you mentioned it, my Teckel Dandy vom Timmschieder Forst, aka Freud,
does a sort of yodel when he hears a siren; very distinctive howl.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance." Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry to hear about Stanley Mr. Gil. I as many others here have also lost close friends(dogs) & know the pain you are suffering. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil, A great story of remembrance. Stanley demonstrated his own personality and has left you with memories to be stored and recalled. Still his departure is great loss and in this I feel your pain having been in a similar place. Slate

Sidelock
Sidelock

Get another as fast as you can, gil. My dogs get better and better, as I get better as a trainer and owner. There is another Stanley around the next corner, guaranteed. Otherwise, what is life for? Regards, King

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sad to hear of your loss. Sometimes the best dogs are the ones that you do not think you want when you first see them. But they grow on you and become even more special for the change is so slow that it is like watching kids grow and they seem to amaze you everyday.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Gil. Man, you have had a hard year, haven't you? I am so very sorry for both your losses. Someone who never developed a loving relationship with a dog would never understand the emotion with which you relate this sadness. That's much their loss. Those of us who have loved and been loved in return by our animals fully understand. I'll remember to ask in my prayers that your sorrow be quickly tempered by a yet to come happiness.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That was beautifully written!
Thanks for sharing!

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's hard Gil. Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

THAT was a wonderful tribute to a fine dog. I'll bet many of us on this board truly understand how you feel.

I'm really sorry for your loss!

Doug

Doug Mann
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil, my friend:
I had hoped that someday I would be able to read of another's loss of a canine buddy and not remember the many years that my Chocolate Lab and I had together. This is not to be.
I weep as I read your wonderful tribute to your Stanley.
Man can lose family members and be diminished. Lose friends and be in a void of loneliness.
Loss of a dog friend is so different. We all understand.
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Mann
Gil, my friend:

Loss of a dog friend is so different. We all understand.

Yep.

Norm #64813 11/03/07 09:32 PM
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dogs & men are capable of bonds that require few words. Well, sometimes anyway. "Whoa! Whoa!, you SOB!, WHOA!", kinda comes to mind as a possible conversation with certain individual pointing dogs, but all that aside, the loss of a dog bonded with .. I just hate the language sometimes, the better phrase is, 'We, who have been fortunate enough to have been befriended by a dog' are horribly diminished by its loss. That's the simple truth. Perfect, imperfect, like people, there is a magic that can and does happen. It is not predictable, and its loss is significant and lasting.

We also know that time and diversion temper the emotional pain you are dealing with. 12/1, a year ago, the 'Wookness Monster' passed and I'm not past it yet, but it does not hurt any longer either. Fond memories and private internal smiles do remain. Caught off guard, bringing forth an ocassional burst of outright laughter. I pray you will get there quickly.

It is the anomolies in life that are significant.

tw #64824 11/03/07 10:17 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dogs are always like one of the family. So sorry for your loss.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you, friends, for your words of kindness. You don't know the comfort they bring. gil

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for posting...we will miss Stanley with you as he joins the chorus.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.