May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (canvasback, Bret Adams, Guy Ave, Jtplumb, 2 invisible), 379 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,500
Posts545,474
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
LeFusil Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If anyone is curious as to what the insides of a Petrik look like…here you go. I just finished a complete tear down for a long over due strip & clean on this 20 bore magnum Damon-Petrik.
I’ve found that the action and mechanics are simple, well thought out, and very robust. One thing that stood out was the precision of all the parts. On my Mitutoyo micrometer, all of the pins measured exactly the same with literally zero deviation. You don’t find that type of precision very often, even on some of the most expensive guns out there. All of the parts including the triggers are fitted very nicely. The striker block is so precisely fitted it’s unreal. Very nice work. The striker block is a novel idea too! There are some tooling marks on some of the parts, but still not bad…the parts that needed to be finely polished (bearing surfaces, etc) are.
A neat little feature on the trigger plate is an inspection hole that is machined so that a gunsmith can look at the sear-tumbler engagement to assess whether it’s dirty, damaged, or requiring lube, etc. without fully disassembling the trigger plate. Neat stuff.

The guts:
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Nicely machined action….

Inspection port for sear/tumbler engagement

Nicely put together:

2 members like this: Ted Schefelbein, Argo44
LeFusil Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you to Gene for helping with this thread and for recently helping to gather some very helpful information on taking this gun down to the bits. He was kind enough to put a post up on a board in France that got the required info on taking these guns down. Much appreciated.

Dustin

PS- if anyone owns a Petrik and would like information and methodology on taking it down, send me a pm. More than happy to share.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for your excellent investigative gunsmithing Dustin. To give credit where it is due, on the disassembly questions the person who responded to a post on passionlachasse.fr was FAB500.
https://www.passionlachasse.com/t40494-damon-petrik-superposes-demonter-larme

This is a historic line and surely will be consulted by others, who might acquire this French relatively unknown over here but classic and beautiful superposed shotgun in our country.

Last edited by Argo44; 04/24/24 10:17 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by LeFusil
Thank you, Fab500.

How many of you own a Damon-Petrik?

I owned 2 of them. The first one was very basic. The second one was much nicer. Light weight 16ga. I got that one from New England Arms back when they were still in business and Jack Dudley was working (fairly briefly) for Jim Austin. What intrigued me was that all the Petriks I've handled (not a whole bunch!) have been relatively light. Rem 32 may have "borrowed" the design, but they turned it into a heavier target gun.

I found a note in an old file on French guns with just a little information on Petrik and his guns. I'd assumed that Damon was his first name. Per the note, it was Boniface, and Damon appears to have bought the patent from Petrik.

The note also indicates that Petrik worked for Mode-Pirlet at one time.

The information about the pigeon shooting wife is fascinating.

Last edited by L. Brown; 05/01/24 08:08 AM.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.