March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jimmy W, Marc Ret, 1 invisible), 348 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tom C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I love spending other peoples money. A good friend of mine has asked me to help her purchase a new O/U for her husband. He has been shooting an 870 for years and he would like an O/U (field grade, 12 gauge) and so for their 25th she would like to buy him one with my help. She has $1,500 for this gun.

So off we went to Cabelas and Gander Mountain while her husband was away on business. There I showed her the usual Browning, Beretta, Ruger, Winchester, Franchi and Fausti. The Browning and Beretta would need to be the low end models. The Ruger RL is nice but very plain. Winchester was OK but she didn't like the high gloss finish. The Franchi Renaissance seemed like a nice gun for the money as did the Fausti. I know of all these guns except for the Fausti. However, I do know that Fausti also made guns for Traditions which I feel are junk. The Fausti line at Cabelas actually looked pretty good. Nice wood, nice metal to wood fit, nice engraving, choice of side plate or case colored etc. I have to say the Fausti seemed like a very nice gun for the money.

I am hoping some of you would like to help me spend her money wisely and offer your thoughts on the Fausti and others I mentioned. Please remember that I hunt and shoot clays and 5 stand with this guy so my reputation (butt) is on the line here. Although I have bought a number of guns over the years but most have been used and SxS.

Thanks.

Tom C

�There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.�
Aldo Leopold
Sidelock
Sidelock

You can buy several models of field Citoris for that money(I think). Any of them would be better buys than the Fausti. You asked for opinions and that's mine.
I'd also suggest shopping around at places other than Cabela's, if you want the best price.

Last edited by Jim Legg; 10/29/07 10:58 PM.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was not particularly impressed with the Traditions "Real 16", but I wouldn't necessarily rule out Fausti based on that. They're making the Weatherby Athena d'Italia sxs, and I understand Weatherby has also switched to Fausti (from SKB) for their OU's. Have not heard any feedback from anyone who's put one of the more expensive Faustis that Cabela's is selling through its paces.

Tom C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have to say that the Fausti that Cabelas had looked much, much nicer than the Traditions. From an asthetics standpoint and features that were available they looked better than the low end Brownings and they were a couple hundred dollars less. Reliability and quality are the question and I suspect we won't know until they have been on the market for a while.

I do plan on shopping a few of the smaller, local shops. I do know that Cabelas is high priced, especially on the guns in the gun library. I will find out about new gun prices.

Thanks for your help.

Tom C

�There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.�
Aldo Leopold
Sidelock
Sidelock

Besides reliability and quality, it's good to consider the resale market. It will much easier to re-sell a Browning Citori that something like a Fausti. The fact that they are making guns to sell under the Weatherby name doesn't mean much, either. Weatherby shotguns(and rifles, for that matter) have been more sizzle than steak for a long time, IMO.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fausti kills themselves in the US market by using just one name. Fausti makes really nice guns and they make rather not so nice gun, and they all wear the same name. One could get away with that if there were racks of Fausti's everywhere you looked, but that isn't the case. I really don't know a good way to judge the reputation of a Fausti because they make so many different grades of guns that are not common here in the US.

I would recommend the Browning, Beretta and Winchesters becuse they all have a reputation for being stout sturdy guns.

Vintage and Double Gun Loony

If you have to question the quality of a Brand X gun, then it's probably not a good buy at any price. Spending the $1,500 on Brand X because it looks nice and has nice features may come back to haunt you when it's time to sell or trade up...no one wants it. I'd recommend you spend the money on a "name" brand product like the Browning, Beretta, Ruger, etc. that will hold some value. In fact, you might shop around for a nice "lightly" used gun and get even more value for the money.

"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it" - Capt. Woodrow Call
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shot a Fausti O/U for years, it is a 2 barrel set, 28 and 410. Never used the 410 too much, but shot several thousand rounds of 28s. Gave the gun to a Grandson that fell in love with it and it gets shot a lot. Never have had any problems with it when I was shooting it or now either. Will say I do much prefer SxSs tho.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As an old fart that has seen much between friends and loved ones, I offer the following.
You are involved with a situation that can bring a bit of distress in a friendship.
I would simply tell your friend's bride that you are out of your element and suggest that she present him with two things. A promise of something wonderful to come and her wish that he buy himself a gun.
You should then present both of them a certificate for a grand dinner at a good restaurant and your best wishes.
All will be well.
And your friend will grin, the next morning,all the way to the gun store of his choice.:}
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
Sidelock

VERY sound advice, John...

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.