May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (SKB, Roundsworth, CJF, Argo44, Sandlapper, 1 invisible), 284 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,031
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tom C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I came across this 20 gauge Stevens 5100 (marked Ranger 101.6) with what I believe is the original leg-o-mutton case about 10 days ago. It was on consignment in an automotive parts / sporting goods store in central WI. It's in very good condition and I couldn't pass it up so it went home with me.

This photo was from Sunday in northern WI on it's maiden voyage. Great grouse hunting this past weekend. My partner and I put up 25-30 grouse and a few woodcock in about 5 hours of walking old logging roads through young aspen - very thick. These 3 few to the 5100. It was the best grouse hunting I have seen in years. I probably would have gotten a few more but no matter how many times a pulled the front trigger, the second barrel never fired!! It's been a while since I used double triggers.
[img]http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6%3DzqH%[/img]

One other interesting note. When I got home I took the gun out of the case and noticed a small, round piece of cardboard in the bottom of the part that holds the action. When I pulled it out and looked at it I found that it was one of the inserts that went on the aluminum foil on the top of an old glass milk bottle. It had the name of the dairy on it and the interesting part was the phone number - 819! That's it.

Tom C

�There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.�
Aldo Leopold
Tom C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sorry - how's this?
[img] images1.snapfish.com/348428584%7Ffp355%3Evq%3D3288%3E8%3A8%3E478%3EWSNRCG%3D3234%3A%3A%3C536593vq0mrj [/img]

Tom C

Aldo Leopold
Tom C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Tom C

Aldo Leopold
Sidelock
Sidelock

Excellent!

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice! My 5100 Ranger 20 has a case colored action but the same recoil pad; my 5100 Springfield 16 has a polished action like yours (always wondered if that was original) and the same style pad. The Ranger came with twin ivory beads (maybe they're plastic but they sure look like ivory) which appear to be original; the Springfield's front bead was broken when I got it but it appeared it was ivory also; just wondered if yours had ivory beads? Great old gun and case! Thanks for sharing.

Fin

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Tom C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Actually mine is case colored but much has wore off. The water table color is great as is the forend iron. Mine also has twin ivory beads - both broke, so I'll replace them this winter.

I suspect the case was seldom used or the gun and case was seldom used. I've already broke a couple of the leather straps. They are very brittle. I'll have to take it to a cobbler to have it repaired.

Can anybody here date this gun? No serial numbers.

Tom C

Aldo Leopold
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pretty hard to do. After 1949 Savage-made guns are supposed to have an oval containing a number and a letter (A=1949, B=1950, etc.) but I have some guns that are supposed to be stamped and I can't find it. Before that I'm not sure there's any way to tell. I think the 5100 designation ended in 1949.

Fin

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
VPT Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Stevene 5100 in 16 Gauge that looks to be very similar to the photo provided by Tom C, including the 'vented' recoil pad.

The only markings are D U A F.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.