May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (LeFusil, RWG, 1 invisible), 1,171 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,511
Posts545,657
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 26 of 55 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 54 55
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack That's what I was trying to say in short form...before Robert'O jerked the carpet out from under me.

I very seldom agree with Homeless jOe, but i agree
Casey

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My goodness Jack- WELL WRITTEN!
(and likely correct but it's still fun to speculate )

Sidelock
Sidelock

Geez, you mean you guys can understand that jargon? I still don't think I said concisely what I meant to say, to wit, that it seems to me that "stretching" an expensive but strong and necessary material by adding a less expensive material which just happens to allow a contrasting surface appearance to be "developed" is a matter of economy of means directed at the primary end of utility (read desirable degree of hoop strength). Then the patterns would be incidental to the main achievement. I don't think the rug patterns appear in quite the same context of scarcity and technological limitation.

However, looking back at the calligraphy, I'm beginning to see in the 3-D shading the suggestions of ribbons of ink which could indeed be imagined as the spiraled irons of a damascus barrel. The sorrows of gin.

jack

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Keep drinkin' Jack and you'll see it my way!
(some other non-Baptist revdoc said that! )

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good one, Doc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rabbit
However, looking back at the calligraphy, I'm beginning to see in the 3-D shading the suggestions of ribbons of ink which could indeed be imagined as the spiraled irons of a damascus barrel...

I do not believe the rugs and the barrels are on a 1-1 level regarding the patterns. It is not like over laying fingerprints. I do think that a culture perceives objects and patterns and dismisses others. I think that it is worth looking at calligraphy, rugs, wrought iron, etc to better understand why a culture found one thing acceptable, another beautiful and yet another trash. I think we also learn about ourselves. Perhaps, when we look at a damascus barrel, we are not seeing it the same way the maker intended. Yet we do find it some how pleasing to eye. Certainly some of the names if not most were descriptive. Yet I fail to see the bunting or flags in the damascus.

There is the story of conquistador ships sailing into a bay. The local people looked at the ships and could not see them. The conquistadors came ashore and the local people saw them. When the Spanish pointed to their sailing ships to explain how they had arrived, suddenly the ships could be seen by every one. Such a thing was just not possible to their minds at first.

In India, sitar music, it is possible to have a beat of 102 beats per measure. Most western listeners can not hear those beats.

Pete

PeteM #59986 10/07/07 06:08 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete (and others)-

Very good points. If we have the ears to hear... .
Damascus barrels are perhaps so very interesting because they stand as a testament of art, craftsmanship and technology. Often the greater the art form the more room there is for interpretation by the viewer. Sometimes in art and literature the interpretation varies greatly from the intention of the artist and often the artist wishes only to be thought provocative. If we were discussing fluid steel barrels or paper clips, most likely the discussion would have been ended long ago. I suspect the craftsmen of these damascus barrels would be flattered to know that both their genre and expressions was the present subject of discussion.

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think there's a hidden message in the Damascus pattern....for Robert'O

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug:

But at what point did it turn from utility to art( at the stage of blades, barrels, etc.)? Or was it ever in the form of utility? We should be far enough removed in time to look beyond the conquerors and their religion to look at the byproduct of the agression as the transfer of technology. Or if it's regarding the events of today, it could be attributed to the cyclic nature of history. But at any rate as for me, revdrewdoc, Pete, dbadcraig and many other's posts has created a stir and I plan to be better informed on the topic by additional research.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Page 26 of 55 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 54 55

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.