May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (SKB, 2 invisible), 1,051 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,504
Posts545,544
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks everyone for your candid and detailed comments. I've not yet been bitten by the O/U bug, but I think a Belgian Browning might be a bit high for my budget. Naturally, I started looking at lower priced guns and found the Ruger to be appealing, given its price. But you guys know more about the track record, etc. of the Ruger as well as many of its idiosynchracies. I guess you get what you pay for. It still seems like a lot of gun for the money, provided, mechanically, it holds together and performs trouble free.

Thanks again,
Marc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck H wrote
Quote:
On Ruger Red Labels, I think they fill a price point market. I haven't been drawn to them, but can see why someone seeking that price point for a o/u might.

My Red Label 28 is the first 28 gauge I ever bought, and the price and handling qualities were what attracted me to it. I now own 28's from Beretta (686), Miroku (MK70), Parker Repro, Winchester (Mod 12, but a conversion gun), and Armas Erbi. The Ruger is still my favorite. You just can't beat it for value or handling.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tex I have more than a few friends that own Red Labels in all gauges and none of them have failed to date. Given average hunting situations, weekend practicing at the trap range etc, etc. However have I ever seen a Red Label in competition trap or the like being pushed to its limit like a Perazzi or a Kreighoff or a Remington 3200....no.
All the best

A RRL 20 ga. has been my go to gun for upland bird hunting for the past 15 years. During this time I have never had a problem. Mine has 28" barrels and swings like it was made for me. IMO, It is a little heavy for a 20 ga. O/U. I agree that the 28ga. is a sweet gun. A friend loaned me his last year for a hunt and I was smitten.

Me? I never miss. This new breed of quail can fly with their hearts shot out!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought a lightly used Ruger Red Label 28 gauge a couple summers ago and it is among my all time favorite shotguns. It came with a nicely figured stock. Whenever I take it to the skeet range the guys have to swing it a few times and comment on its "sweetness." They never give my SxS guns a second glance..

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have owned 4 Red Labels--- all 20's with blued frames and fixed chokes and never had a problem with any. All these guns were bought used and one was bored SK/SK and WELL used. I have finally settled on one--- a 26" IC/M gun first year production.
Granted, they are a little heavier than some of their competition, but I find that a benefit rather than a hindrance. The truckloads of doves that have fallen victim can testify to that! Another benefit not mentioned is that the blued frame guns are developing a following--- I doubt that the gazillion Citori's produced will become collectable in our lifetime.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You might look at Win 101s, about the same prices as used RRLs with a different feel.

Craig

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.