Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

smkummer:

Welcome to the board. That the Simson handles better than the Winchester 24 is not surprising. The 24 is a sorry example of a double gun - was made to trade on the Winchester name and not on any merit of its own, which it has little.

As for your gun. If the gun is a DDR made post WWII gun, it will be valued at a good deal less than a prewar gun.

Look at the proofs, appearing on the barrel flats and action flats. Should have a "Crown over U", a "Crown over W", a "Crown over S", a 20 in a circle, "Crown over N" , there should also be the "Crowned Imperial Eagle" ( a non-sequitur for a Commie country, but thats what it was), a three digit number which will be the proof date month and year. There may also be, a "Q" with a number 1 superimposed on it, signifying "superior quality", or a triangle with the numeral 1 , signifying first quality.

A DDR - made gun is not as much in demand as a prewar gun, and I would expect even a plain unembellished 20g to run around $800-900 or so. If you get an offer on 1000 or so, take it and run. O f course, thats my opinion, and others may differ.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards

GKT

Texas Declaration of Independence 1836 -The Indictment against the dictatorship, Para.16:"It has demanded us to deliver up our arms, which are essential to our defence, the rightful property of freemen, and formidable only to tyrannical governments."
Sidelock
Sidelock

As an aside- I see you are in Southern Indiana

Where abouts? My dad grew up in Bedford, and in early August , my daughters and I spent a very pleasant 2 days at Spring Mill State Park south of Bedford, near Mitchell.

Regards

GKT

Texas Declaration of Independence 1836 -The Indictment against the dictatorship, Para.16:"It has demanded us to deliver up our arms, which are essential to our defence, the rightful property of freemen, and formidable only to tyrannical governments."
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No circle 20 but instead a 20/70 stamp. A stamp of "A/DAHA" on the lug. Nitro stamp but no 1 in a circle. All the crowns you mentioned are present. SPEZIAL-GEWEHRLAUFSTAHL on barrel. An enclosed U symbol with a hammer through an oval?

I live close to the border of Kentucky, in a area called Floyds Knobs, IN for the last 11 years. Prior to that I lived in Hondo and Midland, TX.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Spezialgewehrlaufstahl is literally " special gun barrel steel". Which is a pretty standard marking.

The other mark is the " pierced sole" ( as in a shoe) mark of the Suhl proofhouse.

You have an East German ( Deutsche Demokratische Republik - DDR ) gun.

Regards

GKT

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For your time and comments. I came across this in a buy it all kind of situation so I will probably sell it sometime. I am 5'10" and it fits real well and comes to point of aim as soon as I shoulder it. So I will shoot it for a while then decide. My other 20 double is a Win. 24 and it has a shorter stock with more drop.

Last edited by smkummer; 10/05/07 08:27 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.