May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (Jimmy W, Hammergun, Der Ami, skeettx, mark, 1 invisible), 1,023 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,533
Posts545,952
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#59045 10/02/07 04:58 PM
OP Offline

Howdy

Hope this isn't a subject that has been hashed over too much, I did a search on Stevens and Savage and did not find anything about Stevens Doubles.

First off, can anybody give me a nutshell history of Stevens and their relationship with Savage? Like when was Stevens founded and when were they taken over by Savage? Did the Stevens name continue after they were taken over by Savage? Factory locations and dates would be really helpfull too if possible. Somebody over on another forum is asserting that Stevens never really manufactured anything and they had other companies put the Stevens name on guns for them. That does not sound quite right to me.

Also, if it isn't too much, does anybody have the information on the nomenclature of the old Stevens Side X Side models? Seems to me I recall there was a system where one could identify the gun by the model number, regarding if it was a hammer gun, a hammerless, a boxlock or a side lock.

I have three old Stevens SXSs, a 311, an older hammerless boxlock, and a really lovely old sidelock hammer gun. I'm ashamed to say I have forgotten the model numbers of the two older guns. I know the model is stamped on the boxlock, but I don't think it is anywhere on the hammer gun.

I can supply photos if I can figure out how to link to this board.

Lastly, does anybody know the production dates for the 311 in its various incarnations?

I know this is a whole lot to ask, thanks very much for any information.

Do you think you used enough Dynamite, Butch?

Would it be just as good to tell the guy o the other forum, that he's full if BS and get about fifty other members to back me up?.. This is a tall order, but here goes:: Joshua Stevens started J Stevens & Co, at Chicopee Falls Mass. in 1864.They made guns..In 1886the company re-organized as J Stevens Arms & tool Co..They made guns..Joshua sold out his interests in 1886 and retired a weralthy man..In 1915, the company reorganized as J Stevens Arms Co.,, Still making guns..In 1920 it was bought by Savage Arms Co, becoming a subsidiary and remaining so until 1960.. Savage Still uses the Stevens logo onn some guns.. Now the models The exposed Hammer guns are: 215,235,250,255, 260,265,and 270.. The Hammerless models were:311,315,3151,330,331,335,342,345, 355, 365,375,385,515,5100,5151 and 530.. The 311 was started in 1926 and ran to 1946, and continuing on with variations.. I think up to about 1980

Sidelock
Sidelock

MD:
Ditto all the above.
I might add that the guns that J.Stevens Arms and Tool built were a far cry in quality from the guns built later and much later by Savage. They are some nice ones and very collectible.
I sometime wonder from what planet these guys come from that spout out such misinformation as that fellow did on the other BBS. He must be very young and favors a Mossberg as his shooter of choice. LOL

Driftwood:
Send this to that guy and ask if this is a figment of someones imagination. It is a Stevens 385 by J. Stevens Arms and Tool Co.
http://www.worldpath.net/~jmann/Stevens%20385.jpg

Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
Sidelock

MD; Was there ever a 325? The first shotgun which I ever personally owned was a J Stevens Arms & Tool Co gun. It was not equal to my Lefevers but was a rather good quality gun & had decent walnut for a low end model. I foolishly traded it off many years ago & can't really remember the model for positive, but 325 sorta sticks in my mind, though it may have been the 335. It was I feel sure the basic model for when it was built, a rod cocker with forend cams, a removable bottom plate as I recall, frame built like a cigar box, or a certain 21 without the little pointedy things. Top bolted with a bolt very like the later 311's, no rotary bolt or additional underbolt.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Driftwood Johnson
First off, can anybody give me a nutshell history of Stevens and their relationship with Savage? Like when was Stevens founded and when were they taken over by Savage? Did the Stevens name continue after they were taken over by Savage? Factory locations and dates would be really helpful too if possible. Somebody over on another forum is asserting that Stevens never really manufactured anything and they had other companies put the Stevens name on guns for them. That does not sound quite right to me.

Oh how right they are...NOT

Stevens got into business after losing a lawsuit to Sam Colt. Stevens was involved with the development of the most popular cartridge in the world, the 22lr. Their early pistols and rifles set world records for accuracy. A good example is the Pope barreled Stevens 44 1/2 ( a later improvement to the Stevens 44). They made the claim to be the largest maker of sporting arms in the world around 1912. When Joshua Stevens died in 1907 at age 92, he had 275,000 sq ft of factory floor with nearly 1,000 employees.

In 1920 Savage purchased all of Stevens that was then left. The Stevens name continued to be associated with sporting arms, through Savage. By 1926 Stevens was the largest shotgun maker in the world. For a general overview of the plethora of arms made by these two early giants, try Jay Kimmel, "Savage & Stevens Arms Collectors History 1864-2003" 5th edition. There are others here who are much more knowledgeable about the various Stevens shotguns.

While it is true that Stevens was never known for their high end firearms. Occasionally some surprising examples surface that are truly collectible.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Driftwood...you're nOt planning on turning those intO cowboy guns are you ?

OP Offline

Howdy Again

Thanks for all the great information. I will get back to that gentleman on the other board and set him straight.

I looked up my two old Stevenses, and one is a Model 355, the other is a Model 250. The 250 has the incredibly low Serial Number of 305. At first I thought it was an assembly number, but a member of this board assured me that it is the SN. Yes, Homeless Joe, they are Cowboy guns, but rest assured I will not be cutting barrels or altering them in any way. I only shoot Black Powder in them to keep the pressures down. The hammer gun is my current Main Match Cowboy shotgun. It always gets plenty of compliments from those who know shotguns. I am nowhere near as fast with it as some of the guys who have newer guns, they can sweep both hammers back with one sweep of the hand. I cannot do that with these hammers, but I couldn't care less, it is so much fun to shoot this little beauty. I call it little because unfortunately some MORON cut the barrels down to 24". I dearly wish they were the original length. The 355 is in tougher shape, the checkering has been worn mostly smooth and varnished over many times. The 250 has had the bores polished and the forcing cones cut for modern shells. The checkering has been freshened up too. So the gun is clearly not in virgin condition, but the work has all been tastefully done, it was done before I bought it, and I love shooting it. There is still plenty of color left in the case hardening too.

Here is a photo:

There is no marking at all 0n the barrels of either of these guns regarding gauge, or the type of steel used in the barrels. They are plainly not Damascus, but there is no marking at all. Here is a photo of what I believe is the Serial Number of the Model 355, but I suppose it could be an assembly number. The patent date on the 355 is March 19,1907. There is no patent date on the 250.

I think I will be ordering that book from Amazon,

Thanks for all the help.

Do you think you used enough Dynamite, Butch?
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's sad they have to live out their life like that...flinging them open and snapping them shut real fast. Do you guys ever load them with dimes ?

Why not hang them over a mantel and buy a reproduction and destroy it ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dimes are cheaper than most non-tox shot these days.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Driftwood, you've received excellent information above. However, to add to it, concerning the claim about "other companies putting the Stevens name" on guns . . . that claim is pretty much backwards. What did happen, especially after Savage acquired Stevens, is that Stevens put a host of other names on guns they made, both single shots and double barrels. My father's old Eastern Arms single shot .410 is actually a Stevens. Central Arms, Shapleigh . . . all the various hardware store chains sold guns back then, and most of them sold single shots and doubles that were actually Stevens, but with their name--or at least some name other than Stevens (like Eastern Arms or Central Arms)--on the gun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.