May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (SKB, 2 invisible), 1,051 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,504
Posts545,544
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kyrie Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gentlemen,

If I were to pick up an Aya SxS sidelock off a dealer's rack, how would I determine what model it was? I'm sure there is some simple and easy way to do so, but I'll be hanged if I know hat it may be.

Best,

Kyrie

Sidelock
Sidelock

You have to assess the engraving, the number of pins in the sidelock as an indicator of safety interceptors, whether or not the locks are hand detatchable, is the detatchable screw a lever or has it been blinded (hidden), articulated trigger or not, ejectors or not, and so on...every additional feature adds up to more money...right down to guage/choke premiums and whether or not it has dropper points...
All of that gets added to overall condition, how bad you want it,how much the vendor has into it, and ultimately how much you have on you. I guess I could send you or post catalog photos of the sidelocks if your serious about buyin' one...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Go by the pictures from web site for general model and then by features as noted above for "upgrades." Depending upon who has owned the gun, many have the original import papers in the case btw. Over time, model designations have ebbed and flowed a little bit. Look at the date on the gun for sure.

Sidelock
Sidelock

look at AYAfine guns.com they have pictures of the models.

Kyrie Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you all for the quick replies!

Actually, I've already bought the shotgun :-)

It's a 12 gauge (M,IC) hand detachable sidelock, seven or eight pin (not quite sure how to count them), cocking indicators, ejectors, double triggers. It has the number '1' on the lever, barrel rib, and forend, all gold filled. Straight stock (which some maniac has shortened and added a really ugly pad) and splinter forend. Proof date code is 'O1', indicating prooof in 1970. Here's a link to the auction (www.auctionarms.com, auction #8227231) at which I won it:

http://www.auctionarms.com/Closed/DisplayItem.cfm?ItemNum=8227231.0

There are some pictures there.

Any idea on model number based on all that?

Best,

Kyrie

Kyrie Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've just been out looking at the pictures on the AYA site (thanks Don - I don't know why I hadn't thought of that!).

My best guess at model (emphasis on the word 'guess') is a model 2. My new (to me) AyA lacks the articulated front trigger. Beautifully made shotgun. Now all I need is to find someone who can turn my wood (I have a nice piece of Turkish crying out to be used), inlet it, and maybe do a nice 22 lpi checkering job without sending me the rest of the way to the poor house ;-)

Best,

Kyrie

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not the standard engraving pattern for the numba 2 now and back at least thru the eighties.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Based on the Gold # 1 on the toplever--I'd bet there is a Gold number 2 out there somewhere! Clearly 1/2 of a matched pair. Nice gun--good price. Not sure abut the Model--I'd guess a #2.

nid-28
Sidelock
Sidelock

Kyrie, definitely not a nº2. It is probably a model 117, but your best bet is to email
Carmen at AyA, give her the serial # and after a couple of days you'll know for sure.

You can contact Carmen here: AyA contact

Nice buy by the way. It'll look great with the new stock.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance." Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a 117 made in I believe 1984. It has different engraving but that could be just a different year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.