May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jimmy W, earlyriser, Marks_21), 546 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,601
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

To those who be be so critical: the guy is making an honest living as a trapper, and a hard living at that. Don't be so squeamish.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Figure that a Fox needs to eat one good meal every two or three days. Mice are nice but quail, rabbits and pheasant are larger and a better kill when you can get them. Do the math. 1200 Fox times 180 meals equals 216,000. Throw in the rest of his trapping and you might as well call it a cool 250,000 meals. That is one heck of a lot of potential game animals that will be alive because of his efforts. Anyone here made that big of an impact in game management lately?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Holy moly!!! The thing that comes to my mind is there must be a tremendous population of them dogs and it's no wonder that I've heard phez hunting is a nearly defunct activity in PA. I have to admit, I don't think I could summon the I.F. (intestinal fortitude) to do all that. I would have run out of I.F. at about 1000.

But, in these days of double moca half caff cappaccino slurping pinko anti-hunters, even I can see this ain't sumptin that'll go unnoticed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jason said it well and the follow on comments in support of his position are right on.

My grandfather was a trapper in Pennsylvania from the '30's to some time in the '50's. He ran his trap line after spending all day working in a steel mill. Every dollar helped.

Trapping is a legitimate and NEEDED conservation program.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't now about conditions where some of you live, but as you can see foxes are in abundance in PA. This guy should be congratulated.

My only gripe is that he only caught two coyotes. They're becoming a real scourge on game animals where I live.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If you look at the US as a whole the fox population has been over taken by the coyote. The were many trappers 20 years ago that could take 500 fox with ease. Today it's all coyotes with small pockets of fox. Dr. Bob Wendt DVM and huge trapper feels that the fox population will be at and all time low in 20 years due to coyotes.

Trapping is a way of life for Phil and one of the few men that has an in with the Amish. They raise birds in a pen, let them out and are shot. That's OK but trapping isn't. The US was founded on fur and it is a deep heritage that many sportsman today frown on.

Mike where did your grandfather trap?

Sidelock
Sidelock

For those of us that are bird hunters, this gentleman has done us a favor. Trapping is a valid method of wildlife management for controling some species. Now if we could get the fur prices up on some other nest raiders like, skunks, racoons, and possums it would help.

I never thought I would see the day that even one member of this forum would condemn the legal harveting of fur bearing animals.. And now I wonder if any of our members might also be members of PETA..As for Mike's grandfather being a trapper, many of our grandfathers did so, and in many cases, it was to put food on the table.. I managed to keep 2 children in private schools, from 1979 to 1984, with money from fur trapping, when I lived in Atlanta..MDC

Sidelock
Sidelock

I see a coyote out in the woods, no questions asked, I start blasting till that critter is dead. I figure he has killed enough grouse and pheasant chicks and he ain't going to kill another one!!!
All the best

Sidelock
Sidelock

As long as it is within law....

1957 Peters Ammunition ad

This is now banned:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200502/s1305806.htm

Pete

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.