May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (SKB, LeFusil, Calgary Bill), 830 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,394
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

I felt like this post was a test: Am I a true hunter or a weak stomached pretender. I failed. I don't want to regulate Phil or trapping but could never pursue it myself.

I better brew myself green tea and light some aromatherapy candles.

Yeti: killing is killing, no matter if it's red fox or a bat or even a mosquito.. Trapping is recognized by nearly all state DNRs and wildlife agencys as the best and most efficient way to maintain a healthy wildlife population.. If not practiced in a professional manner, it can be more cruel than necessary. In trapping the canines, it is less likely to cause the animal unnecessary pain, than in water trapping or racoon trapping.. It isn't for everyone, but I would probably have a problem looking thru a scope and sending a bullet toward an elk or pronghorn..MDC

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is hard for me to believe that anyone thinks that stack of bodies in anything but carnage. I have hunted my whole life. When I was a kid, I ran a little trap line in small rivers for muskrats and mink. But good Lord, that is a whole lotta dead little foxes. And the last pic with the fox in the snow caught in the leg hold trap that he has worn a trail around breaks my weak old heart. Just me. Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

Most of those same arguments were used by the "sportsmen" who enjoyed shooting passenger pigeons by the thousand. Looking at a picture like that turns my stomach. I believe that none of my grandchildren have yet to see a fox in the wild.

George L

Last edited by George L.; 09/23/07 09:34 PM.

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com

Craig: Anyone that says there is no suffering by a trapped animal is pulling your leg.. by the same token there is suffering when a large game animal is shot and wounded and has to be tracked down,, As for the fox, he makes that catch circle in the first hour or so and if not disturbed will lay dow and be still. I have on occasion came upon them asleep in the trap.. The fox was more lkely in a foot hold trap.. Many trappers are now using snares, which are more humane, However some States refuse to accept them as a legal means of fur harvesting''MDC

Last edited by M D Christian; 09/23/07 09:35 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It never ceases to amaze me at some of the comments made on this site. Game taken under fair chase, within the guidelines of the law are at times on this site still spoken negatively about. Why is that? Sure that is ALOT of fox's, but the number doesn't make it wrong, nor does the pictures showing some captures in the leg traps. Would the comments be negative if I or someone else posted a picture of a duck or a pheasant being "pillow cased" by a load from one of our vintage double guns? I highly doubt it. What about some of the harvest numbers on the Dove hunting posts on this site and others. Hundreds of birds were harvested in one field on one day at times, is this bad? NO...it isn't to me, and I would have loved to seen them all lined up with the guns that took them.

Trapping tends to play on some peoples heart strings. One must remember, the laws were created to help maintain wildlife. The taking of these animals no matter in what numbers (within the law)are done to ensure proper levels of population. It is obvious that in that area, there is a huge fox population and thus, his high success rates. I would venture to say around that part of the country, quail numbers are down, I could be wrong though, but high populations of varmits as such take a devestating toll on quail, rabbit, pheasant, ducks, etc.

People should commend this guy for his accomplishment, not say things that imply something is wrong with the harvest numbers or the pictures of such. Hunting is hunting...trapping is trapping...if such things turn your stomach, may I humbly suggest you not post things here about it. We should be banding together for such legal efforts and results, not talking about how cute such and such was and it made me feel bad for it. That kind of talk from a hunter is just what the anti-hunters use against us. United means just that United...at times we are our worst enemy.

You said it very well Jason, and folks need to remember, that if Trapping were to be banned, then all hunting will
not be far behind.. For this man to have taken 1200 fox, the area was over-populated with fox and if a species becomes too over-populated, then nature takes over, thinning them out with rabies, mange, distemper etc. Like I said before, that DNR that lets you take your limit of doves, grouse and pheasant, recognizes trapping as the most valuable tool in wildlife management..MDC

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's not too heart breaking seeing that the varmit just left my hen house on a full stomach. Hobby: I think not. What it is: it is work and a lot of it depicting a way of life that will soon be all forgotten, if it isn't already. If one intends to have game to hunt, then it is necessary until more folk eat more opossum, wear fox coats and don a Raccoon cap. I don't know where the coyote and feral cats will be displayed but the feral hogs chops will be kept in the freezer for special occasions.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Iron Man Phil and BoxBirder, you have my respect and thanks! Salute!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I submit that if in your heart of hearts you cannot justify legal trapping, you cannot justify hunting at all...Geo

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.