May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Roundsworth, Lloyd3, Jtplumb, Der Ami), 517 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,563
Posts546,359
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Please explain "V-C stop."

Sidelock
Sidelock

Verney-Carron. In the 1890's he invented a top lever closing system that had four locks and never needed to be adjusted. He patented it under several names for 30 years. It has a stop on the left side of the top lever...no threaded nut on the top of the lever because he inverted it. A lot of French firms copied it for years...or they put "Helice" on their top levers hoping that the V-C reputation would leak onto their guns.

It's been discussed here for years - See these lines:
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=561538
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=514455&page=all
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=480839
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=541475

This gun however, does not use the V-C patent; It's a Scott Spindle: see the slot in the top lever:

Last edited by Argo44; 08/22/20 10:43 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice sleuthing there Argo. To whom does the Rampant Lion belong that is seen on the bottom portion of the flats?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I generally think of myself as a well-informed gun enthusiast, but ask a question here, and voilà! you get guys coming along who know all about "Verney-Carron Stops" and "Scott Spindles" and who can come up with the build date for some random French double. I'll admit it: I'm impressed.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've seen that rampant lion before....had an image in my Saint Etienne database but unfortunately I forgot to label it. I start looking - I've got it somewhere.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is another Saint-Étienne "Canons Gallia" gun with the rampant lion. I'm wondering if that is the mark for the Gallia barrel maker.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486445

Quoted from the line:
On the undersides of the barrel assembly where it meet the receiver it has:
St Etiennes proof mark
Canons Gallia
A rearing lion in front of:
Marque Deposee
Crochets Encastres

There is only one murky photo of the barrel flats - I've tried to blow it up and sharpen it as much as possible - It does appear to have the lion:

Edit: Turns out same post was on DGS:
https://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=276179&page=all
better photo. I'm assuming that the it was identified as Gerest Berthon by the initial GB.

I'd like to confirm that Canons Gallia was indeed a trademark of Berthon Frères. David, could you check your barrel carefully to see if has a Berthon Frères engraving on it. It will be tiny. Here is the engraving on my Gerest Berthon.

Last edited by Argo44; 08/23/20 08:55 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: David Zincavage
.... and who can come up with the build date for some random French double. I'll admit it: I'm impressed.

That's why Argo44 get paid the big bucks.

But all inquiries should follow this path & not become misdirected like a lost ball in high weeds.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Argo44

I'd like to confirm that Canons Gallia was indeed a trademark of Berthon Frères. David, could you check your barrel carefully to see if has a Berthon Frères engraving on it. It will be tiny. Here is the engraving on my Gerest Berthon.

The auction just ended yesterday afternoon. It will probably be a couple of weeks before I receive the gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This from Littlegun.com
http://www.littlegun.info/arme%20francaise/artisans%20a%20b/a%20berthon%20freres%20fr.htm
(my rough translation)

Berthon Frères

Berthon Frères, fabricants d'armes a St Etienne de 1900 à 1910. Successeurs de la Maison Martin Gerest. Dépôt de deux marques de fabrique le 26 avril 1912 pour platine "Perfecta"et une autre. Deux autres dépôts le 11 juin 1912 pour canons "Gallia" et carabine "La Lorraine". Devient en 1922 Laspoussas-Berthon & Cie, puis Laspoussas & Driol en 1923. L'entreprise a existé jusqu'en 1950.

(Berthon Brothers, arms makers in St Etienne from 1900 to 1920. Successors to the house of Martin Gerest. They filed two trademarks on 26 April 1912 for the side lock "Perfecta" and another. Two other trademarks on 11 June 1912 for "Gallia" barrels and the carbine "La Lorraine." They became in 1922 Laspoussas-Breton & Cei, then Laspoussas & Driol in 1923. The enterprises existed until 1950).

(Le Qui est Qui de l'Arme en France par Jean -Jacques Buigné) (source: "Who's who for French arms" by Jean-Jacques Buigne)

Edoardo Mori (Italie) and Udo Lander (Allemagne) (sent by Edoardo Mori-Italy and Udo Lander-GermanY)

D'après le répertoire des arquebusiers, on peut lire ceci, je cite : Besides the lists of gun makers, one can also read this:

Berthon (Frères) armurier à Saint-Étienne en 1900, 10, rue Villeboeuf.

Max. (Belgique)

La Société Berthon Frères laissa au moins deux brevets liés à des fusils de chasse à canons doubles. Les brevets sont ; FR21760 dont l’objet était un mécanisme de fermeture, de prolongation de nervure, et de levier “top lever”. Le brevet a été demandé (appliqué) en 1919, et a été rendu public en 1921. FR552254 qui était pour la conception d’un juxtaposé qui augmentait la surface entre la goupille de charnière et le crochet du canon. Cela semble une digne et ingénieuse idée de brevet. Demandé en 1922 et rendu public en 1923.

The Berthon Brothers company filed at least two patents for SxS shotguns; the patents are FR21760 for a closing mechanism by top lever. The patent was applied for in 1919, and was publicized in 1921. FR552254 which was for the conception of a SxS which added to the surface between the pin and the lump. This seemed a simple and ingenious patent idea. He was applied for in 1922 and issued in 1923

Il est peu commun que des études de ce genre aient été faites après la Première Guerre Mondiale, à un moment où la plupart des fabricants d’armes participaient aux efforts de guerre.

It was not normal that this type of study (of hunting guns) was being done after the First World War, at a time with the majority of gun makers were participating in the war effort.

Bob Chambers, Buffalo NY (USA)

Last edited by Argo44; 08/23/20 08:24 PM.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.