May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (earlyriser, Jim H., buckstix, 3 invisible), 1,119 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,512
Posts545,664
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
smlekid Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi I've been playing around with some black powder of late using 2 3/4 drams of FFF with 1oz of shot A .125" nitro wad and a 1/2" fibre wad with a polystyrene under shot wad to get a good crimp in plastic shells I have just got hold of some FF and was wondering if anyone has done some testing between the 2 at the pattern plate? I was putting the FFF through a SXS hammer gun choked .010" and .015" and was getting sub cylinder patterns I was thinking the powder was blowing through the shot charge maybe? I will load some FF to the same recipe and test for myself just a little intersted to hear other peoples thoughts?
one thing is for sure using BP sure does drag in a crowd

Sidelock
Sidelock

Check to see if the wads are actually sealing the bore. If they are, they should be very hard to push down the bore. I have one old gun that someone reamed the bore and the wads slide easily down it -- patterns are really bad, spotty, sub-cylinder percentages. Same ammo in unreamed bores (nominal bore diameter for gauge) give good patterns, usually close to what constriction indicates.

The load you are using should pattern nicely, IF the wads are sealing the bore.

I have always had to go to one-peice plastic wads to get good patterns from overbored barrels.

Niklas

Sidelock
Sidelock

I haven't done any direct testing yet with mine, but I know they kill and smash ok! As above, a tight seal is important: I use a .750" punch, rather than the smaller, true 12 bore. 2f v 3f may be a gentler push and change things for the better. The ratio of powder to shot can be tweaked: equal volumes is the rule of thumb, but more powder can add speed and loosen patterns, less can tighten and slow them. Don't be too concerned with chasing velocity with BP - mine only run about 1000fps.
Hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs here!
RG

smlekid Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No mate no worries there I have done a lot of pattern testing with this new fangled smokeless stuff I will definetly do some black powder loads to see how they go
I am probably only getting 1000fps with my loads havent had the chance to set fire to the chrony yet!!!! as for wads I will have toi measure the od to see what I have but they are a tight fit into a cartridge

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is not fit in the hull that is critical, it is how well fiber wads actually seal the bore. That takes a rather tight fitting fiber wad (over powder and cushin). One "fix" for fiber wads in overbored guns is to use thin brass hulls and wads one or two gauge sizes larger.

Long ago, drawn brass shotshells were preferred by duck hunters, partly because they did not swell when wet (like paper ones did) but also because they often gave tighter patterns. The common explanation of the tighter patterns was that the larger OD wads sealed better.

In the particular overbored shotgun I mention above, fiber wads tight enough to seal the bore were nearly impossible to seat in modern plastic hulls.

Also long, long ago, someone(s) invented paper cup wads that went under the overpowder wad. Function of these paper cup wads was same as plastic cup on the bottom of modern plastic one-peice wads, that is, to seal the bore nicely, over a rather wide range of bore diameters. They did and do work really well.

Also, a major reason why some many shotguns from fiber wad days (pre 1940 or so) had undersized bores is so that fiber wads were more likely to seal properly.

Niklas

smlekid Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

the barrels on the Armi Gamba (hammer gun mentioned above ) measure .724" which is one reason why I choose it for blackpowder work I haven't tried a wad in the bore of it yet but it is something to ckeck
I alos tried my H grade Lefever it seemed to shoot quite well with the same loads it measures .729 but has tighter chokes I'm going from memory here but I think they were .021 and .035? will check my book and report back

Sidelock
Sidelock

Anyone try paper shot cups in muzzleloaders?

I am trying to tighten patterns with my 11 bore Frazier.

Regards

GKT

Texas Declaration of Independence 1836 -The Indictment against the dictatorship, Para.16:"It has demanded us to deliver up our arms, which are essential to our defence, the rightful property of freemen, and formidable only to tyrannical governments."
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg the muzzleloaders pretty much don't need a cup because they are loading a tight wad into a bore instead of into a shell. Most muzzleloaders I have observed use an over powder wad, crimped with a thumb a little so it can be easily seated but will fully spread out under pressure. Some don't bother with a cushion wad at all and get good results. Jim Legg will probably come in here and add his experience. He has considerable with the muzzleloaders.

smlekid Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

checked my book H Grade has .023" and .034" chokes I also tried pushing a nitro card through the barrels it was firm but not over tight the nitro cards are .125" by .740" so they should be a good interference fit in both guns the 1/2" fibre wads also measure around .740"
next step is to try some Wano FFg and see what happens

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.