Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#56708 09/14/07 10:22 AM
PeteM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sometimes you just stumble over things, like this auction on GunBroker. Have to wonder how different things would be today if this concept had taken off. Actually a very nice example.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=80055990

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Per the Ad;
Quote:
Mechanically, when the hammer is pulled back the cylinder rotates as it should

Sounds like a revolving shotgun to me, I fail to get the connection with "Semi-Auto". I didn't wait for all 32 pics to download on my dial-up connection though, perhaps I missed something.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra

Nothing "auto" about it that I can see, I don’t know what a “simi-auto” is anyway. A gun is either a auto loader or it's not. Perhaps you mean it’s a "repeater", but revolver is what I would call it.
It is a neat gun, something you don't see every day. didn't say its a DA or SA.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The idea didn't catch on. Once in every while all cylinders would discharge at the same time with dire consequences to the shooters forward hand...

Regards
eug

Last edited by eugene molloy; 09/14/07 02:46 PM.

Thank you, very kind. Mine's a pint
PeteM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Per the Ad;
Quote:
Mechanically, when the hammer is pulled back the cylinder rotates as it should

Sounds like a revolving shotgun to me, I fail to get the connection with "Semi-Auto". I didn't wait for all 32 pics to download on my dial-up connection though, perhaps I missed something.

Miller,

It was a small attempt at humor. Obviously not a good attempt. Oh well.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eugene molloy

Once in every while all cylinders would discharge at the same time with dire consequences to the shooters forward hand...

I'm sure cross fires happened...I still tend to believe it to be more urban legand than reality.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like an iterative chamber design to me. Is it a unibarreled quintuple? I think it best to think of all shotguns as "enhanced" single shots.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

The gun did have problems with chain fires, and the few Army users were taught to keep both hands behind the cylinder. By the way, chain fires happen due to improperly fitted percussion caps, or those jarred lose by recoil, not across the front of the cylinder as some think. Most were issued to cavalry where the banging around on a horse didn't help with the security of the percussion caps and cross fires. It also had poor timing in that a trend was toward more powderful cartridges for rifles and away from muzzleloaders. Probably the biggest roadblock was the continued reluctance on the part of the US Army to accept higher maintenance repeaters versus rugged single shots with a sturdy bayonet. Despite the Civil War success with Spencers and Henrys they went backward to the single shot trap door for approximately 30 years. I believe We had National Guard troops armed with Springfield trapdoors as late as WW I when there were still too few 1903A3 Springfields available to equip all regular army trainees prior to departure for France.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Colt Revolving Shotgun was pretty neat in its time. A lot of bang when needed, but slow to load, and it did have a few operational technical difficulties. It was, like its rifle mate, prone to get out of time

And, the cylinder gap presented other difficulties. Even if you didnt get a chain fire, the flash from the cylinder gap would set your shirt sleeve afire, on your forward hand. So troops held on to the trigger guard with the off hand- awkward at best.

Wingshooting is likely a bit problematic with a Colt Revolving Shotgun.

Regards

GKT

Texas Declaration of Independence 1836 -The Indictment against the dictatorship, Para.16:"It has demanded us to deliver up our arms, which are essential to our defence, the rightful property of freemen, and formidable only to tyrannical governments."
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jerry V Lape
I believe We had National Guard troops armed with Springfield trapdoors as late as WW I when there were still too few 1903A3 Springfields available to equip all regular army trainees prior to departure for France.

Jerry, there were no 1903A3s(only 1903s) during WW-I. The A3s were built to fill the shortage of M1s in WW-II.

Ole Cowboy

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.