May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Roundsworth, Jtplumb, rocky mtn bill, KDGJ), 278 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,494
Posts545,336
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Apparently there was a class action suit against Remington, settled without much in depth litigation. We started talking about this in our metallurgy class today. Remington, it seems was using a nice machining steel (1140 M) from day one in their 870's, 1100's, and by extension, the earlier models. Several had failed, Remington had historically blamed the failures on poor quality control of reloads. Anyway, part of the settlement was to agree to use a higher quality steel--4140--and to pay the class a part of the monetary consideration, something over $10 million. Remington, not wanting to have their name besmirched in the liberal press, took the settlement. My instructor (definitely not anti-gun) worked for the law firm that represented the plaintiff class. He feels the older barrels (those mfd before 2000) are unsafe to use. You look at a barrel--one I am looking at now is an older (50's) one--and it must mike out at .050, although I have not measured it. It's hard to believe that wouldn't hold up to just about anything you could push through it. Anyone have any recollection of this?

[IMG]

Vague recollection, as this was more than 15 years ago. I think I received a $70 check from Remington, or a new replacement barrel. Its been so long ago, I don't remember.

The business about the barrels being unsafe was B.S.; mosst of the older 870's are still shooting after many thousands of rounds.

One of our attorneys on this board out to be able to look it up on LEXUS.

JERRY

Sidelock
Sidelock

Where's my money ????? Seems I am owed $140. No, scratch that. My 1100 has five barrels and the 20 gauge has two. That is $490.
Yep, I know---FAT CHANCE !!!!! LOL
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another lawsuit that we worked on but I never heard the outcome of was the one against Winchester over the design of the Model 1300 trigger. It was easy to get an accidental discharge with this model by carrying it horizontally with your finger through the trigger guard and pressing upward.
We also worked on Glock accidental discharge lawsuits but those seem to be never ending.
I am not a lawyer. We had a video production company that specialized in legal work.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

In my opinion, the Garza settlement had nothing to do with the quality of the barrels. No, they did not replace barrels, they wrote checks. I turned in my serial numbers because, as I understood it, the more money the gun owners applied for, the less the lawyers got. A five barrel set received no more money than a one barrel guy, since the serial number was the kicker. However, the payoff for the 3200 was somewhat more than the single barrels, but not as much as double. Oddly enough, I had a blown up 3200 in my safe at the time, but it had nothing to do with bad barrels. Yes, I sent that number in too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My memory says it had to do with stringers in the steel, perhaps MN ? Check those terms with your prof.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr ItalianSX- I would hope that the result of that trigger lawsuit would have been for the court to find that the manufacturer was not at fault; nobody should carry a shotgun with his finger in the trigger guard! How idiot-proof must products be?

Quid me anxias sum
Sidelock
Sidelock

I applied for and recieved my cash settlement and sent the money to the NRA-ILA. I figured it was anti-gun motivated. Oddly I sent the serial number from a 28 Ga and that was not included in the law suit. It was only for 12Ga. I would think it was the same steel. I don't feel that those barrels are unsafe and mine do get a regular workout.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

My recollection is that Remington had to post ads in the major sporting magazines and to collect a share of the settlement you filled out a form with that ad and mailed it. I felt the claim was likey frivolous, but the greater the number that made a claim the smaller each check, so I mailed one in. My check, if memory serves, was about $16.00. I bought Remington shotshells with it and still have the original barrel on my gun. It has several thousand rounds through it and is like new. Steel shot too as it was my waterfowl gun for many years. I own 7 Remingtons and have been happy with all.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.