May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Researcher, Brian, skeettx, Ian Forrester, MattH), 236 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,491
Posts545,323
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
GLS #565352 02/17/20 01:37 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo that is very neat

GLS #565477 02/19/20 06:50 AM
GLS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Argo44 kindly translated a couple of pages of Mournetas's book that dealt with the partial rifling of one barrel of the Ideal and a rare example of both barrels being partially rifled. Thanks, Gene:
"That will be the chokes. These came directly from a English discovery which consisted of modifying the profile of the end of the bore of the barrel. These were a form of constricting the diameter of the bore achieved artificially by laying a (small) tube of rifled steel in the interior of the barrel (at the muzzle) naturally leaving a supression at the moment of the casting of the barrel

In the case of l’IDEAL, is was thus developed barrels naturally choke-bored and those artifically choke-bored. It is quite easy to detect with the eye which type of choke an IDEAL is equiped with in the first models. In effect the black powder, by its corrosiveness, left a tiny circular streak in the bore of the barrel at the point of the junction with the monobloc.

There exists yet another combination of choke systems which consists of putting fine stripes on the tapering of the choke on the rounded edges. This gives to the interior of the mouth of the barrel the aspect in miniature of a crinkled tapered tube. This process, also of English origin, is called rifling. It gives surprising results in the the long range of the pellets.

Nevertheless, it is very rare to find an IDEAL so equipped because on one part the fabrication was complicated and thus onerous and, on the other part, the fouling by black powder posed a problem. This led them rapidly to abandon the concept. To my knowledge no long gun of this type has been made by the Manufacturer since the beginning of the century. But, before closing this paragraph, it’s worth noting that certain barrels, meant for firing ball, were rifled from the exit of the chamber, along the entire length of the barrel. What happiness for a collecter to come upon such a rarity.

The choke initially seen on the barrel of the IDEAL corresponded to a constriction equivalent to that of one caliber. As it is evident that shooting during a hunt doesn’t take place at a constant distance, it was necessary to adapt the chokes according to the ground and thus also was born the half-choke (constriction by a half caliber)

Before the great war, the IDEAL generally carried an open smoothbore barrel on the right and a choke-bored one on the left for barrels 74 cm in length. Bores with half choke on right and full choke on the left on barrels from 65-70 cm. Except for special orders of course. For pigeon shooting models, full choke on both sides was the norm.

Thereafter, that excelent compromise, half-choke on the right and full-choke on the left were kept on all the classic series IDEALs. (see the tables on page 34).

There is another particularity which we are going to find on the barrels of the IDEAL. The (shallow) rifling. For the dispersion of shot when firing at a short distance and for the shooting of ball, a number of IDEAL came, on special order, with the right barrel (unchoked) rifled “SUPRA” beginning in the 1920’s. Previously, on certain models such as the COLONIAL IDEAL, only one length of some 8 cm was striated (rifled) at the beginning of the barrel. This assured the rotation of the ball without perturbing in the slightest the smaller shot. The compromise was a good one and it made its mark abroad to the point that certain of the classic series can be seen with the right barrel provided with such rifling. Such a rarity."

GLS #565559 02/19/20 10:07 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil,
I’ve only seen a few rifled barrels on French guns. I never saw pumpkin ball type slugs in France, notable to me because every gun proofed in France with a modified or tighter choke has a warning dutifully stamped on the flats, warning against their use.
Foster type slugs were all I saw, Brenneke, Winchester, Federal and Rotweil were the brands I saw. French proof, high as it is, allowed for use of American standard ammunition.
Every gun shop had a nice selection of slugs, the French had plenty of pigs that needed to be killed, but, they were short on most everything else except, maybe, ducks. They were really short on places to hunt. The damage to a crummy little French car after it hit a 500 lb wild pig was immense, and people often got hurt. Every shop also had a few Remington 870 Express models, usually with a slug barrel, or two barrels, and red dot sight systems or low powered scopes for same. 12 and 20 gauge, just like here. The guys who hunted pigs were welcome everywhere, the pigs seemed like a hell of a nuisance.
I would guess that the 870 was the most popular gun in the mid 1990s in France. None of the gunmakers was happy about it, but, it was reality. None of the gunmakers I met were regulars at bird hunting, sometimes going years between treasured invites from friends or acquaintances who had the means. Woodcock seemed to be what everybody wanted to hunt. But, few people needed a Raye barrel to just dream about woodcock they were never going to see, much less hunt.

Best,
Ted

GLS #565581 02/20/20 08:14 AM
GLS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ted, it seems feral or wild hogs are a menace wherever they exist.
Are the French communal hunting association members given access to hunting lands or are they just social groups of like-minded individuals?  Here are a few hat pins from various associations.  Best,
Gil

GLS #565602 02/20/20 12:42 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
Tom, thanks.
The checkering was badly worn and Chris Dawe of Newfoundland was given the go ahead to recut at 28 lpi. Skipline is also known as "basketweave" checkering and I find it interesting. Paradox barrels are the ones with partially rifled choke area, and as Ted mentions, were built for dispersal of lead shot, not for ball, for close in shots of woodcock and rabbits. The engraving of the Morphy gun is quite nice but one would have to live with the other issues chief of which is the "fairly sharp dent" in one barrel 10" from breech. This is in a high pressure area and I question if it could be safely remedied. Gil

with some misgivings i have bid on and bought the morphy gun, the barrel dent is my main concern....but it wouldn't be the first time i've overstepped the bounds of good judgement.

i can live with the stock extension, or if the length is good for me, replace it with a .600 old english. if the through bolt has stabilized the split in the wrist (the crack looks nice and tight), i enjoy refinishing wood. the telltale damage around the top tang is not as bad as usual and could be fairly concealed with a small amount of acraglass if the color were carefully matched.

wish that i could have the opportunities to see and handle as many of these guns as you and canvasback do. i can count all i've ever handled on my fingers....with one hand still in my pocket. this one will be my third; a decrepit 16 grade 1 at a 1980's dallas gun show (which i promptly sold), a 1938-9 16 #320 that i stumbled upon on gunbroker a few years back, and now a roll of the dice on this gun.
best regards,
tom

Last edited by graybeardtmm3; 02/20/20 02:21 PM.

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
GLS #565609 02/20/20 01:15 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil,
Land access is a big deal in France. A farmer who might pay you to shoot pigs likely wouldn’t consider letting you hunt birds or ducks on his ground. Birds, in this context, almost always means the big European woodcock. There are pheasants, nobody seemed to talk much about them.
I have no idea how the associations work. Perhaps they pool resources and lease land for the members. I would guess it is a little bit of everything, maybe up to even traveling to other countries to hunt under the umbrella of your club.
We have it better, here. I always wondered who the home team guys in France were, that kept the gunmakers busy enough to make a living building double guns. A lot of them were sold right in country.

Best,
Ted

GLS #565620 02/20/20 02:46 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Not For Ball' & etc originated from the fact many shotguns, from muzzleloader days into early breech-loaders were habitually used with round balls for larger game. It had been common practice to use a close-fitting ball to the bore of the gun for better accuracy. With the common acceptance of choke boring in the breech-loaders, a ball sized closely to the bore would obviously play havoc with the choke.

By at least 1910 W W Greener wrote that even guns marked Not for Ball could be safely & effectively fired with a solid ball "Provided" a small enough ball was used to pass through the choke. Thus if a nominal 0.729 12 gauge was given a full choke down to about 0.690" choke then the ball had to be smaller than 0.690" in diameter. A commonly used 0.719" ball would wreck the muzzle end of the barrel.

He further stated this was the reason the British proof houses changed their markings from "Not for Ball" to the simple word "Choke".

That's been at least 110 years ago, Weird that so many folks Still Haven't Caught On.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
GLS #565650 02/20/20 08:08 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some folks left well enough alone, I guess. The same folks never found themselves outside of the Brussels Convention with the works of their proof house, either.

Best,
Ted

GLS #565983 02/24/20 05:17 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

thought i would add this to the discussion re: rifled barrels on french guns; this morning there was a listing for a mf robust on guns international, #101390417. it is a fully rifled barrel rather than the raye type. it has the first "legible" photo of such a barrel i have ever seen...

GLS #566652 03/05/20 09:15 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
From Le fusil de chasse "Ideal" by Jean-Claude Mournetas:
Brass encased ball for left barrel which has rifling and a barrel reducer insert for the smooth bored right barrel and 8 mm bullet. There's some text I hope to have translated. Gil

i have taken delivery of the morphy gun on 4 march. general condition was actually better than the photos & description led me to expect. haven't had a chance to measure wall thicknesses, but my bore gauge says .722-3 with 40 thou constriction on left,(proofed at 18.3) and....

Last edited by graybeardtmm3; 03/06/20 12:23 AM.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.