May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (ksauers1, doublenut, AaronN, obsessed-with-doubles, 2 invisible), 347 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,523
Posts545,809
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Don't get the big hEad.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You all know more about this than I but the discussion was fascinating. I picked up my 16 gauge muzzle loader 1847 Reilly 5512 (1847) today and stopped by the shooting center...hit 12 out of 20 sporting clays tried, 6 from each barrel and the gun felt great (Fg powder, 70 grains, 1 oz 7.5 lead shot using the "Skychief" load). (Not great shooting...just satisfying for a new gun and the first muzzle loader I've shot in 40 years).

I was wondering why it felt better than the first and (only time so far) I've shot the new side lever 16 gauge Reilly 27853 (1887). I started wondering if I like more drop (or was I just having fun with a newly fixed hammer on the muzzle loader?)

Here are the two guns. 5512 has a much thicker comb. They look very different in profile. Surprisingly both have a comb drop of 1 5/8". Strange.

Last edited by Argo44; 11/01/19 11:29 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Argo44
You all know more about this than I but the discussion was fascinating. I picked up my 16 gauge muzzle loader 1847 Reilly 5512 (1847) today and stopped by the shooting center...hit 12 out of 20 sporting clays tried, 6 from each barrel and the gun felt great (Fg powder, 70 grains, 1 oz 7.5 lead shot using the "Skychief" load). (Not great shooting...just satisfying for a new gun and the first muzzle loader I've shot in 40 years).

I was wondering why it felt better than the first and (only time so far) I've shot the new side lever 16 gauge Reilly 27853 (1887). I started wondering if I like more drop (or was I just having fun with a newly fixed hammer on the muzzle loader?)

Here are the two guns. 5512 has a much thicker comb. They look very different in profile. Surprisingly both have a comb drop of 1 5/8". Strange.

Don't discount the dynamic balance of the gun. For example. I find I need to shoot with the same barrel length all season or my shooting falls off a cliff. Furthermore, even given the same barrel length and very similar stock dimensions, some guns just don't mix.
On closer examination I have found that the simplistic balance point of the hinge pin is misleading. A gun can balance on the same central point but due to the distribution in each half of the gun, the gun has a very different dynamic. Depending on one's shooting style, this can make a big difference: if one shoots a steady swing, a distribution of weight to the extreme points of the gun can help maintain your swing. In contrast, a habit of fast application of forward allowance may be aided by centralised mass assists in fast acceleration of the barrels.
Also, I referred in my previous post to the difference that a sunken 'shield' can make to the effective POI of a gun that one might assume to have similar stock dimensions. For example, I have a Blanch hammergun with a sunken rib AND a very sunken 'shield' which gives the impression when mounted of a very high shooting gun but when one packs up the 'shield' to a normal height (in relation to the bore axis) one finds that the gun should shoot as one which measures up as much lower shooting
Quite why this was done is unknown but I guess it was the a preference of the customer to have a gun that shows a lot of rib whilst still shooting quite flat.

Last edited by Toby Barclay; 11/03/19 05:52 AM.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.