March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Dave K, buckstix, Der Ami, KDGJ, Karl Graebner, 1 invisible), 361 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,008
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A little ball of solder, or similar, is rolling around between the ribs. Driving me nuts. My thought to secure it was to spray contact cement or similar through a weep hole, and hope it gets stuck. Thoughts?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Roll it/them down to one end or the other of the tubes. The blobs may stop at one of the spacers or against the forend lug inside there.
You'll have to guesstimate by ear where they are,,it's really not that hard to do.

Then clamp the upper and lower ribs at that point and going away from that point for a distance of a few inches.
I usually place a wire twist clamp around the tubes also at the point so they don't spread outwards.

Now with the bbl's horizontal hanging from the bench vise (I just jam one chamber onto a tapered wooden plug that's clamped in the vise),,,heat that area of the tubes and ribs (top and bottom) where the little bastards are sitting.
No need to add flux to the outside. You are just heating enough to re-melt the existing solder and in doing so those little loose scraps inside which when they melt will flow into the surrounding solder joints and dissappear.

Don't do any clamp tightening,, don't over heat or get in a hurry to melt the soft solder and cause the steel to change colors. That's a sure fire way to burn the surface and ruin the solder job and then you have a repair job to do.

Let it cool on it's own.
Unclamp and unwire.
Wipe down and you're done.

I've seen people squirt loads of glue like Superglue and other stick'um into the weep holes hoping to snare and glue the things into place. But it doesn't seem to be a successful way to go about it.
One expert told me he pumps grease into the void through a enlarged weep hole(s) using a football inflating needle type setup. Works the nuts he says.
I'll pass on that one as I just pass it along.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kutter, I have the same issue and have two dumb questions, 1: when you say a wire twist clamp, is that the same as a hose clamp, and 2: what is your heat source? Thanks is advance.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No questions are dumb,,
Wire twist clamp is just using plain old soft iron wire (black iron wire. Usually buy it on a plastic spool in the HomeDepot type stores. Very soft and flexible. Comes in handy for a lot of shop work.
Wrap at least 2 winds around the bbls and twist the ends together as tight as you need with a pliers.
If you want, you can slip thin pieces of brass shim stock betw the wire and the bbl surface to be sure. I've even used aluminum foil and that works OK. You are only going to around 450F in soldering so nothings going to melt or stain the blue.
You can additionally add a kink to the loop of wire where ever you can get ahold of it with a pliers and not mar the bbl finsh.
That kink will pull the loop a little tighter and tighten the clamp effect.

Heat source is just a common hand held propane torch. Mine has the Pencil type flame on it and I seem to leave it that way and it works fine. I like things simple.

(I relay ribs using that torch and flame style. I do the tinning using an old large size electic soldering copper. Quick and clean.)

Keep the flame moving and don't over heat any particular spot wishing for the solder to melt quicker.
Gently bring the entire area up to the required temp which will only be around 450F. You'll see the solder melt in the joint betw the ribs and bbl.
Shake the bbls a bit to make sure those loose ones get melted and sucked into the solder joints inside.
Should take care of it.

Don't be in a hurry,,there's no race to get it done. It's only solder being melted and everything,,ribs and bbls are secured in their positions. Nothings going to fly apart.
You can work that over all afternoon as long as you don't overheat the solder and the joint.
It will just rejoin and solder itself back together when it cools off again.

Don't play the flame of the torch on those simple wire twist clamps. The wires will heat up near instantly like a stove element to bright red.
The wire elongates in that extreme heat and relaxes,,there goes your clamp effect.

You can use a hose clamp. They work very well as far as doing what they are intended to do,,clamp things..
I have used them on occasion but never really liked them personally. They scratch things up easily if you are working on a finished product such as this.
They just seem to be a juggling act in my hands as opposed to simple C clamps and wire which I use all the time.

Some use a fixture to hold the bbls and ribs with clamping devises built in. Beautiful apparatus but I've always just used a basket of C clamps, some wire and the bbls held horizontal in the vise on a wooded peg jammed into one of the chambers.

What ever works for you and gets you the results you desire,,That is what's best,,for you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the detailed instructions. Now I just have to work up the nerve to do it grin

Last edited by Gr8day; 09/22/19 10:41 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.