March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jimmy W, Marc Ret, 1 invisible), 348 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: mbatten
Richard:

It's #2311, remains in very good condition, and is under my good care in BC, Canada.

Cheers!

mbatten

Duh. Yes I have your details already - sorry !

Alexander Henry Rifle Maker - Donald Dallas
Sidelock
Sidelock

OP I won't use smokeless because I've seen too many ringed chambers, the type of filler does not seem to matter.

Now we have the Olde Eynsford black powder, getting a BPE rifle to shoot is almost easy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey, Mike.

What's a "ringed chamber" and how does smokeless powder cause it?

Thanks,

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oversimplified but I'll give it a try. Because smokeless powders in the small amount necessary to produce BP equivalent pressures don't come near to filling large black powder cases, some shooters feel it is required to put a wad down on the powder to keep it at the primer end of the case or to fill the rest of the case with various and sundry fillers. You may recall that certain antitank projectiles have a small "shaped" charge which is not sufficient to blow anything up but will by focusing the shock wave of the explosion cut a hole right through the armor. The shock wave produced by powder levelly retained by a wad propagates up the case until the wad contacts the base of the bullet where the shockwave is deflected sideways against the chamber wall forming a ring in a chamber. This may happen on the first shot or increase through several shots until the case starts to stick in the chamber. If you'll look up Charlie Dell and chamber ringing you will find where he was able to do it even without a wad by shooting straight up. The key factor is that the powder had a level surface at a right angle to the axis of the case and had free length to propagate itself until encountering the bullet. Some fillers allow the propagation to happen and form a wad from the pressure. Using a wad but keeping it a small distance (say 1/8 inch) off the powder so that the powder's surface can be not at right angles to the bore is OK for some folks. Best to just use a powder that is easily ignited and just tilt the case up a bit when loading to let it mostly be towards the rear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The way I've had it explained to me, is that there is a secondary pressure wave which bounces of the base of the bullet. Upon ignition, the air space (including whatever the "filler" is) will compress and push the bullet forward, but the compressed air and stuff wants to go back toward the breech face - remember, compressed anything is basically stored energy - and this meets the still rapidly expanding propellant gas charge causing a localized radial pressure spike, which creates a ring in the soft steel of the black powder barrels.
The ring is usually seen about where the base of the bullet would be - it is very slight, and not a bulge seen on the outside surface. Do it enough, and it'll cause extraction issues.
There are some who will say I'm full of it, but I was in this business a long time, and I've seen enough rings I will not use nitro for black loads.
Besides, black powder is easier to get to shoot, and easier to clean the gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Both of the above pretty well sum up the science of chamber ringing.
One thing Ive always wondered about is just what types of bullets were utilized when ringing occurred.
My bet is this.
Since most nitro for black loads are used with full groove diameter bullets, I would think that the bullet, especially one of jacketed construction, would act as a momentary obstruction as it meets the rifling causing the pressure spike described above which is the obvious culprit in chamber ringing.
Has ringing been observed when using comparatively soft all lead projectiles?
Havent heard anything definitive about that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, guys. I appreciate it.

So black powder it is...

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

You might say it is analogous to bulging a barrel by having one bullet stuck down it when another is fired. In this case the second bullet is like the "shockwave". In chamber ringing the shockwave is caused by the level surface of the powder perpendicular to the length of the case propagating (and intensifying) down the case. Having the bullet seated in the rifling is not a problem. This is a standard Scheutzen practice. The bullet is seated about 1/16 inch ahead of the case and often there is a wad at the mouth of the case to prevent the powder from spilling into the chamber on loading. No problems there because the powder is more or less angled along the length of the case and the burning is happening in more random directions.

mbatten Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello:

Thanks to everyone for your observations and comments!

For those interested, Graeme Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (Ch. 6) discusses the 'chamber ringing' phenomenon as well.

Here are a couple of photos of the rifle showing the folding tang peep sight. I've yet to see another on a Henry double rifle. It is adjustable for elevation only.

https://s1243.photobucket.com/user/rmbatten/slideshow/

Also, this rifle has an interesting extractor mechanism. There are two angled prongs or cams threaded to the end of the extractor rod. These prongs fit into slots cut into the water table. When you open/close the action, these angled prongs cause the extractor rod to slide back and forth. Very simple and sturdy, but you have to carefully align them with the slots when assembling the rifle. You can see the left one in the photos as a thin, near vertical white line just behind and above the hinge pin.

Cheers!

mbatten

Last edited by mbatten; 08/16/19 03:55 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Your Henry rifle is in great condition. Used and not abused.
I shoot a Alex Henry double rifle and I suggest using paper patched bullets (per Mike's directions) and a slightly reduced powder charge. Put a dry wad over the powder and some lightly greased felt wad over the dry wad, then your bullet. Make sure the bullet is snug in the case, but most BPE rifles do not like a lot of neck tension (friction force holding the bullet in the case). It is why BPE bullets were manually crimped into place with a crimper. Have fun and post more photos. Congratulations on your nice gun

NRA Life
FOAC Life
PA Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Life
PA Trappers Association Life
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.