Understand that,
To each his own, sure wish we could do
catch and release as I do fish smile

Do you think that you will try Crazy,
or was that a hypothetical question?

Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wait, Ed, no one said you have to shoot at the quail.

ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

crazy sounds too crasy for me...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
clapper, it is been my observation that competitive shooters dont do well in the grouse woods, where shots are more instinctive... and unpredictable...and it works vice versa...low gun skeet seems to be the best practice for grouse shooting...

Wut?!

Glad someone forget to tell these grouse that last year

Originally Posted By: DAM16SXS
Ernie Hausmann of Hausmann's Hidden Hollow Sporting Clays in Friendsville, PA caters to upland hunters, primarily those who shoot ruffed grouse and woodcock. The type of traps and targets they throw in wooded and brushy areas of his courses and called "hunters clays" because of their close simulation of actual bird hunting situations.

There is a Pa. SGL not far at all from Hausmann's that holds a few birds.

That is the furthest East I hunt back in the Northern Tier of Pa. Woodcock flights can be hit or miss depending on the year. I would take my son back "home" for youth bird and deer season and looking at the date on the picture it was 2004. Hausmann's hadn't opened yet or was just getting ready to. We would go down to Rock Mountain for sporting clays. Been a few years since I have been back East.

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
I'm a member of two of the three clubs that host the Wisconsin Iron Man. 400 targets, 4 different courses. The two where I've shot a lot, since they're located in northern Wisconsin, have plenty of trees. No problem simulating grouse shots. Matter of fact, shooters will occasionally encounter a grouse or two as they go around the course. The thing about courses like that is that they can be challenging without a lot of long shots. Think short windows--which is also the name of the game when you're hunting grouse and woodcock.

The Iron Man is interesting in that the higher class shooters don't dominate the entries. Although there's no shortage of them, there were more Hunter Class shooters this year than any other class. Matter of fact, out of the 290 entrants, there were more Hunter Class (95) than there were M, AA, and A combined (89).

It's not easy to set up courses that are sufficiently challenging for serious competitive shooters while not scaring away those who are there just for the fun of it. But the Wisconsin Iron Man clubs are located in a relatively sparsely populated part of the state, yet still succeed in drawing around 300 shooters every year.

Larry I'm guessing there aren't a lot of SxS guns at the Ironman? Thinking about doing it next year. This year on the Thursday before the weekend of the Great Northern I did the $100 all you can shoot with a pretty good sized group of guys. Shot 350 rounds with my Win 23 20 ga. and was physically and mentally whipped when I was done. But believe could do 200 a day. Have an ISIS recoil reducer on my Dickinson 12 ga. and that may be the way I go although the Win 23 obviously works well for me and clays too. Then again I'm not getting any younger...

Getting ready to pack up and go shooting this morning. Yesterday a Sportsman club setup traps and threw clays for youth and new hunters. Very soft targets. At day break the evil trap setters will show up and crank the springs but more importantly use background, sun and trees to make the birds much more difficult. But still shootable, although that is open to debate by some. I do know that it will be a great time, and grouse opener is a month away.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed, some of the guys that I shoot with that exclusively hunt Ruffed grouse, drill on the skeet field.

What they do is hold their shotgun in a low gun ready position, and then call for the bird, with the intention of shooting it as fast as they can, before the Center stake. Thats sort of snap shooting prepares you pretty well for the quick shots in the woods. Our club allows you to do it anywhere on the skeet field that you want to stand as long as there arent any other people on that field.

You are however prevented from stepping past of the pads of station eight toward the center steak so from the furthest out line of station 8, to 4 or 5 yards outside the arc of the normal stations.

If you can bust a couple hundred rounds before they hit the Center stake in practice with the low gun preseason and you continue to shoot that way through the season youll be in the 30% plus kill rate for your Ruffed Grouse.

Remember, 10 birds pointed
4 shots presented
1 kill

Thats nearing elite status.

Out there doing it best I can.
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

agreed, "low gun skeet seems to be the best practice for grouse shooting..."

ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

those of you in mi, wi and mn who are lucky to still have enough birds to hunt...enjoy... and do post pictures of your time in the woods with your doggie friends...

Sidelock
Sidelock

OK, Ed, gotta ask

You wanted a course to help shoot grouse and quail, but you do not hunt anymore.

So a few suggested local clubs to shoot clays.

But you said that would not suffice or was crasy.

What are you really wanting?

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 08/18/19 11:50 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Cold Iron

Larry I'm guessing there aren't a lot of SxS guns at the Ironman? Thinking about doing it next year. This year on the Thursday before the weekend of the Great Northern I did the $100 all you can shoot with a pretty good sized group of guys. Shot 350 rounds with my Win 23 20 ga. and was physically and mentally whipped when I was done. But believe could do 200 a day. Have an ISIS recoil reducer on my Dickinson 12 ga. and that may be the way I go although the Win 23 obviously works well for me and clays too. Then again I'm not getting any younger...

Getting ready to pack up and go shooting this morning. Yesterday a Sportsman club setup traps and threw clays for youth and new hunters. Very soft targets. At day break the evil trap setters will show up and crank the springs but more importantly use background, sun and trees to make the birds much more difficult. But still shootable, although that is open to debate by some. I do know that it will be a great time, and grouse opener is a month away.

You're correct on that, Cold Iron. The last time I worked a station at the Iron Man, I don't think I saw more than 2 or 3 sxs. There are quite a few of us who live in that part of WI and shoot sxs pretty much exclusively. We shoot SC at both Medford and Wausau, but several of us are usually working the Iron Man as volunteers.

ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

skeet: like ah said in the beginning...

i am looking for a place to shoot skeet like targets...but, in the woods...and with three throwers, one at three points of the compass w, s, and e, instead of just high house, low house...and of course, a programmable electronic release controller that would throw birds randomly, without calling "pull"...with an optional beeper alarm for the trap about to be activated...sorta like ah doggie on point...

the only consistency would be that shooters would shoot only two rounds from stations 1 thru 7, twice, for a total of 28 shots...with no station 8, for the safety of others...

sounds like fun, eh watt?

Last edited by ed good; 08/19/19 07:51 PM.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.