March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, skeettx, LRF, Lawrence Kotchek, Karl Graebner, canvasback), 880 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

If I wanted to use a lead plug for weight in a buttstock I would pour the plug in a shotgun hull of the appropriate size, peel the hull off, dunk the plug in polyurethane, let dry thoroughly, then find the right size wood drill for a slip fit with the plug. It should never oxidize, and could be removed if necessary. I'd never pour it in place.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

What Keith said. However, I use bands cut from an innertube. If you pull the "stretch" out as you go along will build up a lot more pressure than you would think.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: David Williamson
Not all stocks with lead in them are going to crack from being filled.

Might be tin instead of lead.
That was commonly used in place of lead to avoid the problem of oxidation and cracking of the wood.

I sometimes wondered if some of the plugs I've seen weren't a high ratio tin to lead mix as they seemed to have oxidized a bit,,turned dull grey,, but never had gone wild like some and 'grown' to split the wood or butt plate.

The Win M12 3" Heavy Duck Gun has a large 'lead' plug under the pad. I wonder what they used. Those plugs always seem to be fairly shiny and w/o oxidation dispite their age and probable marsh and field use.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Kutter that was my thoughts about milling around the plugs and then having a thinner shell hoping the wood would be a little easier to reshape and then one the cracks have been closed and glue to fil the void with something .....other than lead.

I was probably not that clear in my original post.

Thanks all

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

almost a year later.

I have been de-oiling for this period of timer but today finally got on to getting the lead out. I figure removing the core of the stock may also make it a little easier for the final de-oiling.

Things are going well

I made a plywood template and jig to use a router with a bushing set up and got the stock milled out to a depth of about 2 1/2". The stub of the snapped off drill is out as well. I will be able to go about a 1/2" more with the bit I am using and will need to get a longer bit to go deeper.

I have not gotten to the bottom of the lead yet but am making good progress with leaving about 1/4" shell of the stock that should close back up pretty well once full depth is milled out.

I will [post pics once fully milled out

I am going to have to fill this hollow up with something and am thinking Acra-glass. It will be a big void. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Travis S; 08/10/19 07:01 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sure, fill the void with a hardwood dowel epoxied in place. No need to waste all that epoxy. And really, no need to use the relatively expensive Accraglas on a project like this. I mentioned having the stock on a Lefever G grade split due to a solid mass of oxidized lead shot. After I cleaned it all out and repaired the split with Titebond II, I used a walnut dowel I turned to fit on a lathe, epoxied in place to fill the void. Several years later, and the repair is still great.

By the way, larger volumes of mixed epoxy often heat-up and cure very rapidly, foaming out in the process. Another reason to not fill a large void with straight epoxy.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

If you go with accraglass to fill the void use the gel product to fill a large void. It does not foam and cures at a very slow rate.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I got all the lead out. There was three holes to about 4 inches deep filled with lead. I am glad to have learned form someone else's bonehead move.

I used a sharp paddle bit to get most of it out once I got the drill stub out.

What I have left is a hollowed out the stock to a depth of about 4 inches deep with 1/4" of stock wall left all the way around.

On to finishing de-oiling and will pick back up on the crack repair afterwards. If the head of the stock was not in such good shape (except for oil) I am not sure I would have done this but if successful, then a good large step in restoring/reclaiming a nice ideal grade 20 gauge LC smith.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good man Travis...
How long are the bbs?
how much (weight wise) was in the stock altogether?
Must of been a couple or three oz or more?
Are you going to try to get some weight back in the holes, or just wooden plugs?
good luck
franc

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

30" tubes. I recovered the ole girls from a local gun shop.

It is a labor of love and learning.

I am thinking about fabing up an aluminum housing to fit into the back of the stock/hollow that, from the outside, would look like a spacer between the stock and recoil pad but would be hollow and large enough to fill with weight as needed. I have used 1/4" alum as spacers on numerous guns and it adds a pleasant littlest amount of bling. I need 14 1/2 to 15 " of pull so it makes sense to me.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.