March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Kip, Sandlapper, old colonel, Jtplumb, 2 invisible), 764 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,012
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#551966 08/02/19 04:57 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

English BLE with Baker style ejectors is exceedingly difficult to open after firing. No issue when using snap caps. Causes?

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Look at the cocking dogs and firing pin protrusion first. You should pretty much no slop between the dog and the tumbler when fired.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Makes sense. Thanks. I was thinking about slow cocking after I posted.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Right pin protrusion = .0585
Left pin protrusion = .0660

Right dog has no play.
Left dog has a very small amount of play.

Sidelock
Sidelock

.0660" seems like a lot. Seems I once learned that around .055" to .060" is where they should be. How about it Steve?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Snap caps won't always show the same effect as live fire. Snap caps (usually) have a plastic heavy spring loaded 'primer' or a hard nylon/delrin surface for the pin to hit.
It doesn't really mimic a real primer with it's unforgiving after effect of the firing pin being punched into a metal surface. Then you're trying to pull the shell head accross it opening the gun before the pin is lifted from it.

I'd suspect the cocking linkage has slop in it somewhere,,either one side or both.

Easy way to quickly check for looseness is to UNLOAD the gun...
Then dry fire (no snap cap) one bbl. Then hold the gun horizontal and unlatch the bbls.
Let the bbls open and drop of their own weight which they will till the cocking mechanism engages.
That engagement should be immediate to ensure the firing pin is started to be lifted off the fired shell so it does not drag and cause hard opening.

Many guns will show the bbl's will drop open quite some distance at the breech before that begins.
That opening is the amt you have to drag the fired shell head upwards with the firing pin down hard against it still under mainspring pressure as the cocking linkage has not picked up yet.
The fired shell will usually show a FP drag mark off of the primer cap because of it.

Try both sides separately, you'll get an idea of what's going on.

Some cure the annoying hard opening issue with reloads or certain factory ammo that happens to use harder primer cup matrl. The FP won't bury itself as deeply in the primer and is more easily dragged accross the shell as the gun is opened.

That can work, but it still doesn't fix the mechanical problem in the gun.

I was always in the .045/.055 firing pin protrusion camp.
Don't know where or who taught me that but that's what I've always used.

What ever it is make sure the tip is rounded nicely, no sharp points or chips and remember that even if the protrusion is .060 that doesn't mean the pin will indent the primer .060.
But it could cause problems with a punched primer or the tip hanging up the mechanism when closing the gun depending on the style, ect.

I wouldn't suspect the ejector mechanism as the gun opens easily after 'firing' with the snap caps. It just doesn't when live fired.
Seems either way a problem in there would show no matter how the hammers were dropped.
But it wouldn't be a bad thing to take a look an clean them up.
If you have them off of the forend,,leave them off and try live fire as an extractor gun and see if the hard opening is still there. If it is and probably will be,,then at least you've eliminated the ejectors as a source.

Lots of things to consider.,,Take one at a time or you're just going in circles never knowing what's helping and what may be un-doing your work.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you. Sounds like a loose dog and a long pin, on the same side, would add up to a problem like mine. Ill work through it. If the solution ends up requiring adding material somewhere, I do know a micro welder who can help.

rtw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Probably totally unrelated. But, had the same problem with an AyA boxlock and Winchester white box factory ammo with steel heads. A switch to brass-headed ammo and the problem went away. A friend with a Beretta SXS had the same experience with the same ammo.

Good luck!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Im shooting Winchester AA and Remington Nitro 27 reloaded hulls, with Win209 primers, reloaded on a MEC 600 JR press.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stop using Winchester primers. Try Remington.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The recipe I use calls for Win209s. The Nitro hulls were in use when I first tried the gun. Shot the AA hulls yesterday, and it was better overall, but still not consistent. Sometimes easy to open, sometimes as difficult as it was with the Nitros.

Havent touched the pin protrusion or the dogs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If its not the cases check that the cam is not loose .

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Which surface of the dog should have material added to it to eliminate the wiggle: surface that contacts the hammer, or the other end where it interfaces the iron?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Can you please be a little more precise ? Possible photo of the part .
Building up parts is not always as simple as it may seem and will depend on what is the basic problem . Building up the wrong end or in the wrong place can have a knock on effect and cause more problems .

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Its all articulated in the thread. One side of the gun is slow to cock, because there is wiggle with the cocking dog. I need to eliminate the wiggle, and was what surface of the cocking dog to add material to, and then refit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.