April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 1,150 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
rcathey Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hi all! I mostly post over at the Milsurps forum and started a thread on this firearm there. Another user referred me here.

A bit about me real quick. I'm a collector and an FFL. I sell stuff I'm not interested in to allow me to keep stuff I am interested in. I have a rather complete US Military arms collection and have recently been dipping into quality sporterized military arms...such as this Krag!

The work is really top notch but unfortunately, it's not named anywhere.
Sedgley and Stoeger as well as Griffin and Howe come to mind as custom Krag-smiths, so I scoured the web for some pictures of Krags refurbished by them.

By importing these images in AutoCad, I was able to "trace" the stock, scale it, and overlay it to my stock.

In this imgur album, I've included pictures of this Krag as well as my overlays.
Anyone have any thoughts on this? I can get more pictures of course.
Thanks for any leads on this!

https://imgur.com/a/PfdGFwK

Last edited by rcathey; 07/28/19 12:42 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sedgley Springfield 1903 sporters in my experience have the serial number on the receiver obliterated and another number stamped on the receiver, usually on the receiver tang. The caliber marking on the barrel has an "S" in a circle stamped above it.

G&H also obliterated the original numbers and put their own numbers on the barrel, together with the inscription "Griffin & Howe, New York, N.Y.". One of your G&H photos appears to be of a Springfield 1903, rather than a Krag.

rcathey Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

That is actually a Krag by Griffin and Howe...it's just a single shot conversion. If you look closely at the bolt handle you can see it's a Krag.

I've added some more pictures of my Krag here:
https://imgur.com/a/g4a4CXX

I see no markings anywhere (even under the buttplate) to indicate who did the work. Note the brass plate under the trigger guard. That's taking up the slack in the trigger. Clever!

Also, I see you're in Puryear. I grew up in Murray and my family's from Dover. We were practically neighbors!

Sidelock
Sidelock

You're right, of course, and I can now see the bolt handle and the extractor. However, you have to admit that the resemblance between it and my G&H Springfield sporter is pretty strong.

I actually live about half way between Puryear and Buchanan, and about three miles from the Kentucky/Tennessee state line, about equidistant from Paris and Murray, so we usually shop for groceries in Murray, since there's no sales tax on food in Kentucky.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My guess is a Stoeger Peerless stock, is the butt plate plain steel?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yours looks like a Stoeger Peerless. I'm thinking of having my Stoeger Krag checkered to give it a little bit of a finished look.

rcathey Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: PhysDoc
My guess is a Stoeger Peerless stock, is the butt plate plain steel?

The buttplate is checkered. A Winchester style looks like.

rcathey Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
Yours looks like a Stoeger Peerless. I'm thinking of having my Stoeger Krag checkered to give it a little bit of a finished look.

When doing some pre-post research, I saw you mention your Stoeger. I didnt see any pictures though. Could you share some? Also, how have you verified yours to be a Stoeger? Is it marked?

Ive also thought of having mine checkered. Im the cost for quality checkering is pretty steep. However, I paid something like $450 for this rifle a couple years ago. A little extra for checkering would still be a good deal.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have no verification on mine except pictures in the Stoeger catalog.

rcathey Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
I have no verification on mine except pictures in the Stoeger catalog.

Same here. I'm thinking the same about mine as well.
Would love to see pictures of yours!

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.