March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (gasgunner, SKB, ChiefAmungum, Roundsworth, 2 invisible), 307 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,980
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have the 12 ga tool. Is this also supposed to be able to measure 16 ga?

Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

My Stan Baker bore gauge will measure 10, 12, and 16 gauge bores. But it doesn't have the range to measure much choke in 16 gauge. There were other Baker bore gauges with 20-28 gauge probes and .410" Bore- probes. These were sold separately, or as a complete set.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Yes but it does not do a very good job on 16ga. I bought a Skeets bore gauge for use in 16ga and it is fine.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Stan Baker set also. The best I can do is measure with the 12g head and the 20 bore head and then do the math. Not sure if it is accurate using that method.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Skeets works great in a sixteen but has a hard time with a ten.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just finished cleaning a 16 GA LC Smith barrel and will measure it with a 12 ga SB gauge. I will post results and see if it makes sense.

Thanks all

Sidelock
Sidelock

One sure way to verify your results is to compare the readings you get on the Stan Baker gauge with measurements taken with a good set of plug gauges. Of course, the Stan Baker, or Skeets, etc., type instruments can pass by a very slight obstruction in part of the bore, such as a minor dent. A solid plug gauge will not.

My use of both the Stan Baker gauge and plug gauges gives me confidence that the Baker gauge is reasonably accurate when properly calibrated and used correctly. It is less tedious than pushing a series of plug gauges through a bore with a wooden dowel rod. It can also detect whether a portion of the bore has been excessively polished or honed to remove pits. But the plug gauges are also useful, because they can do double duty as barrel dent removal plugs when used in conjunction with a small brass or plastic faced hammer.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use a Skeet's gage and when I bought it used it was messed up and called and spoke to Dean Harris, he told me to send it back and he would fix it. He replaced the head and the gage. I also asked him if he could lengthen the rod and he said he had a few left and could do that. I can now read half way through a 32" barrel.
I also made a .650 ring for 16 gauge guns, works fine but if the
muzzle end is full choke I cannot get in to measure it. I then use a telescoping gage to measure choke.
I made plug gages out of aluminum in .002 increments to recheck bores if there is a question.
To remove dents I make an aluminum plug gage and if that fits right I then make one from mild steel with a taper to get under the dent and gradually work it through. An old timer back when told me to lightly heat the barrel near the dent, warm to touch as this "loosens'" the molecules and it easier to remove the dent.

David

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I cleaned the 16 ga LC Smith barrels (30" FWE)

Both chambers measure .745 at back and taper to .730'ish before rapid constriction at the forcing cone.

Right barrel - gauge slides in and you can tell it is straining a little bit against its limits but the bore measures .648 and repeats after measuring several times. At the choke end I cannot get the head of the gauge down the bore but a Galazan choke gauge shows tight full and using a dial caliper I get inside measurement of .615 so -.033 constriction.

Left Barrel - The bore measures .654 and repeats after measuring several times. At the choke end I cannot get the head of the gauge down the bore but the choke gauge shows tight full again and using a dial caliper I get inside measurement of .615 so -.039 constriction.

I was a little surprised at the tight bore measurements as I thought they would be a little more like .662

So I am still not sure about the accurate use of my SB 12 ga tool in a 16 bore.

Thoughts?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The bores on your 16 ga. would be around .650. Sometime in the 1930's the bores were changed to .660. The chamber length was still 2 9/16" and in the very late 1930's the chambers were changed to 2 3/4". Some of the very early changed chambers had 2 3/4" Chambers stamped on barrels water table.

David

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That must be it then so maybe all is well with using the SB gauge I have on 16 GA barrels.

Many thanks

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In general do you prefer the dial type or digital readout type of baker style gauges and why?

I just acquired a full digital readout kit (.410-12ga) and still have the dial 12 ga set and was wondering what pros, cons, particularities all have experienced with either type.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.